Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

The Solid Gold Cadillac (1956) - a Cato recommendation after wife & I watched Judy Holliday in Born Yesterday - did an Amazon HD rental and really enjoyed (saw many years ago but forgot details) - brief summary below (more at link) - different story although scenes of Washington, D.C. in both - both films highly recommended.

Popeye (1980) - despite the widely varied mixed reviews, we really enjoy this comic fantasy and have watched it at least a dozen times - Williams & Duvall seem ideal in their roles (to us). BUT the reviews were mixed - Leonard Maltin declared it a BOMB in his video book; 58%, Rotten Tomatoes and 5.4/10, IMDB - HOWEVER, Roger Ebert gave the film a 3 1/2*/4* with an insightful review that I agree with wholeheartedly - but just my 2 cents.  Dave :)

P.S. Robert Altman's grandson played Swee'Pea adorably; the filming took place on the island of Malta and the Popeye Village remains a tourist attraction (LINK)

QuoteThe Solid Gold Cadillac is a 1956 American comedy film directed by Richard Quine and written by Abe Burrows, Howard Teichmann, and George S. Kaufman. It was adapted from the hit Broadway play of the same name by Teichmann and Kaufman that pillories big business and corrupt businessmen. The film stars Judy Holliday and Paul Douglas. The film is in black-and-white except for the final scene, which is presented in Technicolor.]The Solid Gold Cadillac is a 1956 American comedy film directed by Richard Quine and written by Abe Burrows, Howard Teichmann, and George S. Kaufman. It was adapted from the hit Broadway play of the same name by Teichmann and Kaufman that pillories big business and corrupt businessmen. The film stars Judy Holliday and Paul Douglas. The film is in black-and-white except for the final scene, which is presented in Technicolor. (Source)
QuotePopeye is a 1980 American musical comedy film directed by Robert Altman and produced by Paramount Pictures and Walt Disney Productions. It is based on E. C. Segar's Popeye comics character. The script was written by Jules Feiffer, and stars Robin Williams as Popeye the Sailor Man and Shelley Duvall as Olive Oyl. Its story follows Popeye's adventures as he arrives in the town of Sweethaven. The film premiered December 1980, in Los Angeles, and opened in the rest of the United States the following week. It grossed $6.3 million in its opening weekend, and $49.8 million worldwide, against a budget of $20 million. It received negative reviews from critics when it was first released, but has received improved reviews over time. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 21, 2024, 09:03:34 AMPopeye (1980) - despite the widely varied mixed reviews, we really enjoy this comic fantasy and have watched it at least a dozen times - Williams & Duvall seem ideal in their roles (to us). BUT the reviews were mixed - Leonard Maltin declared it a BOMB in his video book; 58%, Rotten Tomatoes and 5.4/10, IMDB - HOWEVER, Roger Ebert gave the film a 3 1/2*/4* with an insightful review that I agree with wholeheartedly - but just my 2 cents.  Dave
I remember not being very enthusiastic when walking out of the movie house, but I've revisited it and like it very well. And, as the commentary notes, since Ray Walston played Poopdeck Pappy. It's the only movie to feature two Television aliens: Mork and My Favorite Martian.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Andrzej Wajda: Ashes and Diamonds.

SonicMan46

The Prince of Tides (1991) - alternating between scenes on the South Carolina coast and New York City - a favorite of ours because we've been traveling to the Carolina/Georgia coastal cities and areas for decades - filming was done in part in Beaufort, SC where the Lewis Reeves Sams House (below) was used in the film (dates to the late antebellum era) - the scenery makes us want to return (in fact we have an early June trip planned to Wrightsville Beach near Wilmington, NC).  :D

Dick Tracy (1990) - list of the stupendous cast below, many made-up to almost be unrecognizable - another film we watch together about once a year - some mixed and mediocre reviews, but Roger Ebert gave it 4*/4* - I love the limited use of colors in the scenery and the characters; nominated for 7 Academy Awards and winner of 3 Oscars, including makeup.  Dave :)

QuoteThe Prince of Tides is a 1991 American romantic drama film directed and co-produced by Barbra Streisand, from a screenplay written by Pat Conroy and Becky Johnston, based on Conroy's 1986 novel of the same name. It stars Streisand and Nick Nolte. It tells the story of the narrator's struggle to overcome the psychological damage inflicted by his dysfunctional childhood in South Carolina. The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture, but received none. (Source)

QuoteDick Tracy is a 1990 American action crime film based on the 1930s comic strip character of the same name created by Chester Gould. Warren Beatty produced, directed and starred in the film, whose supporting cast includes Al Pacino, Madonna, Glenne Headly and Charlie Korsmo, with appearances by Dustin Hoffman, James Keane, Charles Durning, William Forsythe, Seymour Cassel, Mandy Patinkin, Catherine O'Hara, Ed O'Ross, James Caan, James Tolkan and Dick Van Dyke. Dick Tracy depicts the detective's romantic relationships with Breathless Mahoney and Tess Trueheart, as well as his conflicts with crime boss Alphonse "Big Boy" Caprice and his henchmen. Tracy also begins fostering a young street urchin named Kid. (Source)

George

Really enjoying a first viewing of this. Not sure what took me so long.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Cato

The main item of this entry is true, but first, something from fiction.

This Is Spinal Tap is a famous satire on rock bands and their decay into self-parody as they age, e.g. at one point the band plays an amusement park where they are subordinate to a puppet show.  ;D

Keep that in mind for the following!

Now, while checking the local theaters for new movies here in Small-Town Ohio, Mrs. Cato came across something right in line with This Is Spinal Tap.

In the 1960's, in an attempt to capture the same audience enraptured by The Addams Family, a competing network used precisely the same ideas in a show called The Munsters.

A child actor named Butch Patrick portrayed a vampirish tyke named Eddie.

A movie was made to promote the show during the summer (when re-runs were shown rather than new episodes): Munsters Go Home!

It was not a classic!  The T.V. show crashed and burned after 2 seasons.

We know that the fate of child actors is not pretty, usually: there have been rare exceptions.

Butch Patrick seems not to have been one of those exceptions.

In an effort to supplement his Social Security check, he will be appearing at a drive-in theater (they still exist here in Small-Town Ohio) on Old U.S. Route 30, located near Middlepoint and some massive soybean and corn fields.  8)

Munsters Go Home
will be shown on one night only!  :o

Mr. Patrick will display two vehicles from the historic show and will be available for photos.

He will also have Munsters merchandise for sale!

I know what you are thinking: how can I get tickets and be there for this one-night-only showing and maybe even get a picture of myself (for $5.00 (?) ) with Butch "Eddie Munster" Patrick?

There is no better definition of "true excitement"!  😇

See:

https://van-del.com/events/

For flights into Dayton, Toledo, or maybe Fort Wayne, check with your travel agent! 😇

To quote Daffy Duck, after being turned into the hands in a pocket watch: "It's a living!"

Bugs Bunny agreed:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on May 23, 2024, 01:04:20 PMThe main item of this entry is true, but first, something from fiction.

This Is Spinal Tap is a famous satire on rock bands and their decay into self-parody as they age, e.g. at one point the band plays an amusement park where they are subordinate to a puppet show.  ;D

Now, while checking the local theaters for new movies here in Small-Town Ohio, Mrs. Cato came across something right in line with This Is Spinal Tap.

In the 1960's, in an attempt to capture the same audience enraptured by The Addams Family, a competing network used precisely the same ideas in a show called The Munsters.

A movie was made to promote the show during the summer (when re-runs were shown rather than new episodes): Munsters Go Home!

We know that the fate of child actors is not pretty, usually: there have been rare exceptions.

In an effort to supplement his Social Security check, he will be appearing at a drive-in theater (they still exist here in Small-Town Ohio) on Old U.S. Route 30, located near Middlepoint and some massive soybean and corn fields.  8)

Munsters Go Home

I know what you are thinking: how can I get tickets and be there for this one-night-only showing and maybe even get a picture of myself (for $5.00 (?) ) with Butch "Eddie Munster" Patrick?

See:

For flights into Dayton, Toledo, or maybe Fort Wayne, check with your travel agent! 😇

To quote Daffy Duck, after being turned into the hands in a pocket watch: "It's a living!"

Bugs Bunny agreed:

Zowie!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

T. D.

🤣

Sorry, I pass on the opportunity to purchase Butch Patrick merch.

Ironically, This is Spinal Tap just had a local "40th Anniversary" cinema showing, with another (at a different -but outdoor- cinema) scheduled for the holiday weekend. Also passed: I love the film but have seen it just too many times, including the DVD with commentary more than once.

Daverz

Dune Parts 1 & 2 in one back-breaking sitting.  Visually sumptuous, and dead spots are kept to a reasonable level.  I just don't find the "Duneverse" that interesting.  I still haven't made it through the book.

Some day I'll have to revisit the Lynch film, which I haven't seen since it came out.  I remember it being a fascinating mess.

And the new Yorgos Lanthimos film, which I found delightful:

Karl Henning

I can think fondly of the Lynch Dune as a fascinating mess.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: Daverz on May 23, 2024, 03:58:15 PMDune Parts 1 & 2 in one back-breaking sitting.  Visually sumptuous, and dead spots are kept to a reasonable level.  I just don't find the "Duneverse" that interesting.  I still haven't made it through the book.

Some day I'll have to revisit the Lynch film, which I haven't seen since it came out.  I remember it being a fascinating mess.............

Bought Dune 1, watched Dune 2 w/ my son in a rental house in West VA last month - we enjoyed together (but may have been more of a 'bonding' event) - not sure that I'm that interested in further episodes?  NOW, the Lynch Dune from 40 years ago I do enjoy, as a 'comic' space adventure - I've not read the book(s), usually stick to non-fiction in my readings.  Dave :)

Cato

Continuing our alphabetical journey through the collection, we have hit The Thin Man comedy-mystery series, of which we have four, i.e. The Thin Man, After the Thin Man, Another Thin Man, and Shadow of the Thin Man.

William Powell is perfect as the wise-cracking, less than sober retired detective, and Myrna Loy is also perfect as his very rich and very tolerant wife, who matches his wit in her own droll way.

It was hard to believe that the first movie is now...90 years old!!!    :o  :o  :o

I remember watching some of these in the 1950's: every Saturday a local television station came on at 6:00 A.M. and showed old movies from the late 1920's and 1930's. Back then the movies were barely 20-25 years old!

Anyway, of interest is that the second movie (from 1936) has James Stewart, billed third as a co-star.  He would need three more years before becoming a major leading man.

William Powell, who was in his 40's and 50's during the run of 6 movies, was not particularly thin, but was in pretty good shape.  After retiring in 1955 (his last role was in the famous comedy Mr. Roberts), he lived until age 91, in 1984.

Myrna Loy kept acting into her 70's, and died at age 88.

JBS

Quote from: Cato on May 23, 2024, 01:04:20 PMThe main item of this entry is true, but first, something from fiction.

Munsters Go Home

See:

Bugs Bunny agreed:

I don't actually remember the TV show, but I remember liking it as a kid--especially Grandpa.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: Cato on May 24, 2024, 04:31:46 PMContinuing our alphabetical journey through the collection, we have hit The Thin Man comedy-mystery series, of which we have four, i.e. The Thin Man, After the Thin Man, Another Thin Man, and Shadow of the Thin Man.

William Powell is perfect as the wise-cracking, less than sober retired detective, and Myrna Loy is also perfect as his very rich and very tolerant wife, who matches his wit in her own droll way.

It was hard to believe that the first movie is now...90 years old!!!    :o  :o  :o

I remember watching some of these in the 1950's: every Saturday a local television station came on at 6:00 A.M. and showed old movies from the late 1920's and 1930's. Back then the movies were barely 20-25 years old!

Anyway, of interest is that the second movie (from 1936) has James Stewart, billed third as a co-star.  He would need three more years before becoming a major leading man.

William Powell, who was in his 40's and 50's during the run of 6 movies, was not particularly thin, but was in pretty good shape.  After retiring in 1955 (his last role was in the famous comedy Mr. Roberts), he lived until age 91, in 1984.

If I remember the book correctly, the "Thin Man" was the victim in the original book/film, not the detective. I've never gotten round to watching The Thin Man Returns, so I don't know how they managed to re-use the corpse in the sequel.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Cato

Quote from: JBS on May 24, 2024, 06:10:36 PMIf I remember the book correctly, the "Thin Man" was the victim in the original book/film, not the detective. I've never gotten round to watching The Thin Man Returns, so I don't know how they managed to re-use the corpse in the sequel.

I have never read the book, but one source says that viewers of the first movie assumed it referred to the detective, not necessarily the missing man ("A thin man with white hair").

As a result, all the sequels used "Thin Man" as a reference to the William Powell character, or even his baby son (Another Thin Man was the title of the third movie, where Nick and Nora are juggling (literally at the finale) their baby boy   ;D   ).

SonicMan46

Quote from: Cato on May 24, 2024, 04:31:46 PMContinuing our alphabetical journey through the collection, we have hit The Thin Man comedy-mystery series, of which we have four, i.e. The Thin Man, After the Thin Man, Another Thin Man, and Shadow of the Thin Man.

Probably my favorite William Powell films are the Thin Man (TM) movies (esp. the ones from the '30s) and My Man Godfrey - years ago I had the DVD box of the 6 TM films (shown above) but made a local donation when BD arrived along w/ my first HDTV, hoping that the series would be converted to 'High Definition' - now I have only the first Thin Man as an Amazon HD streamer but the others now offered on Prime Video are all in SD, unfortunately.  Dave

P.S. Powell & Loy made 13 films together (14 actually where Loy was uncredited) - one of the 'royal' Hollywood pairs of their era (Source)

SonicMan46

Race (2016) - familiar story below; reviews mixed but a special film for me - I was born in Ohio, was on my HS track team and competed in the same events as Owens (much poorer though,  ;D), and my father in-law was an undergrad at U of Michigan and saw Owens set all of those records at the Big Ten Championship in the '30s - probably my 5th watch and will view again!  Dave

QuoteRace is a 2016 biographical sports drama film about African-American athlete Jesse Owens, who won four gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. Directed by Stephen Hopkins and written by Joe Shrapnel and Anna Waterhouse, the film stars Stephan James as Owens, and co-stars Jason Sudeikis, Jeremy Irons,  & William Hurt. Principal photography began in July 2014, in Montreal, Canada. Forecast Pictures, Solofilms and Trinity Race produced the film, supported by the Owens family, the Jesse Owens Foundation, the Jesse Owens Trust.  The film was a commercial success and received mixed to positive reviews, winning four Canadian Screen Awards, including Best Actor for James. (Source)

DavidW

I just watched Furiosa.  It was good but nothing compared to Fury Road

I'll probably rewatch my favs Road Warrior and Fury Road soon.

Cato

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 25, 2024, 01:14:50 PMProbably my favorite William Powell films are the Thin Man (TM) movies (esp. the ones from the '30s) and My Man Godfrey - years ago I had the DVD box of the 6 TM films (shown above) but made a local donation when BD arrived along w/ my first HDTV, hoping that the series would be converted to 'High Definition' - now I have only the first Thin Man as an Amazon HD streamer but the others now offered on Prime Video are all in SD, unfortunately.  Dave

P.S. Powell & Loy made 13 films together (14 actually where Loy was uncredited) - one of the 'royal' Hollywood pairs of their era (Source)

My Man Godfrey is a classic!  Highly recommended!

Karl Henning

It's a movie I genuinely love, though I'm not always in the humor to watch it, and I'm a little surprised that the humor has fallen on me today: Ridley Scott's Alien.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA