Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bill on April 14, 2007, 12:23:07 PM
That first scene with Bogey with Charles Waldron (Gen. Sternwood) may just be his finest scene ever in my books.  Man does he nail it!

OK, guys - guess I'll 'chime in' on that movie - EXCELLENT!  BTW, what do you feel he is 'thinking about' looking @ Bacall?  8)

Maciek

Out of Sight

I've seen it once before, a couple of years ago, and loved it then. It was even better today, the second time round! (And this despite the fact that I still really don't like Lopez. She irritates me so!)

I also feel the need to step in on the Bergman subject once more:

Quote from: Don Giovanni on April 14, 2007, 06:04:23 AM
Well I think that some of his really philosophical films (Persona) are quite pretentious. Not that that's a bad thing! We need a bit of pretentiousness every so often.  :)

Persona pretentious? I vehemently disagree! Why, it must be the last Bergman film you could call pretentious! Maybe The Seventh Seal, or The Virgin Spring, or parts of Autumn Sonata (great movie that it is). But, seriously, where do you see the pretentiousness in Persona?? It's overall very cool, emotionally removed filmmaking, no? I think Fellini has a much stronger proclivity towards pretentiousness, moments when he loses that wonderful irony and becomes a bit pompous (Dolce vita, La Strada, City of Women) - though not in his best films (among which I'd count Roma, 8 and a Half, Amarcord, and Orchestra Rehearsal of course ;)).

And BTW, many of Bergman's best films were shot in color (Fanny and Alexander, Autumn Sonata, Cries and Whispers, Scenes from a Marriage).

SonicMan46

Half Nelson (2006) - good to excellent reviews; some non-Oscar awards & Oscar nominations - expected to really like this movie but could not get into the characters - I own a lot of these 'teacher inspirational' flicks that I enjoy, but this one will not be one of my purchases; however, I'm sure others enjoyed this flick looking at the reviews.

Kismet (1955) w/ Howard Keel & Ann Blyth - not a great adaptation of the musical, but of course the Borodin melodies (and adapted songs) were just beautiful - worth a watch just for this use of Borodin - burned to DVD from my DVR.   :)

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: SonicMan on April 14, 2007, 03:00:22 PM
OK, guys - guess I'll 'chime in' on that movie - EXCELLENT!  BTW, what do you feel he is 'thinking about' looking @ Bacall?  8)

Oh I know ! I know!

I really loved them in Key Largo.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lady Chatterley on April 14, 2007, 06:31:48 PM
Oh I know ! I know!.......................................

Lady C - LOL -  ;D  Are we on the same 'wavelength' w/ that question?  ;) :D

BTW - I do love Key Largo w/ those two; plus, Edward G. Robinson was not bad as a BAD GUY!  :D

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: SonicMan on April 14, 2007, 07:00:51 PM
Lady C - LOL -  ;D  Are we on the same 'wavelength' w/ that question?  ;) :D

BTW - I do love Key Largo w/ those two; plus, Edward G. Robinson was not bad as a BAD GUY!  :D
Clair Trevor was superb also!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lady Chatterley on April 14, 2007, 07:05:42 PM
Clair Trevor was superb also!

Oh yes, Claire Trevor was superb, and I believe was awarded the Oscar for 'Best Supporting Actress' in that role; but she was always great in many other performances - just an overall excellent movie -  :D

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: SonicMan on April 14, 2007, 07:16:18 PM
Oh yes, Claire Trevor was superb, and I believe was awarded the Oscar for 'Best Supporting Actress' in that role; but she was always great in many other performances - just an overall excellent movie -  :D

She deserved the Oscar!

Bunny

Quote from: George on April 14, 2007, 11:54:53 AM
In about 7 minutes on TCM:

The BIG Sleep

I've never seen it, actually.  :)

Good film, but I have to say I much prefer To Have and Have Not.  Now that is a real movie in every sense of the word.

Slim: You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

Bogey

Quote from: Bunny on April 14, 2007, 08:15:05 PM
Good film, but I have to say I much prefer To Have and Have Not.  Now that is a real movie in every sense of the word.

Slim: You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

Definitely a watershed moment in "Hollywood History" Bunny.....I just love it when we travel down memory Bogie and Bacall Lane here at GMG.  However, out of the four* that they made together (To Have or Have Not; The Big Sleep;Dark Passage; and Key Largo) I would still put The Big Sleep down as my favorite of the four, followed closely by Key largo.

*The also made an appearance together here:

http://themave.com/Bacall/BB/FI/TwoGuys.htm
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: Lady Chatterley on April 14, 2007, 07:19:28 PM
She deserved the Oscar!

Indeed she did Lady C  ;)....and it may have been one of those times where they could have given it to any of the principle players without a second thought. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

rubio

Yesterday I saw "The Last King of Scotland", and the main impression from this good film is the marvellous acting by Forest Whitaker. I'm not surprised, because I've always thought he's a very good actor. I also really liked the 70's-like colours/atmosphere of the film and the nice Ugandan music. The beautiful landscapes of Uganda also makes me more certain of going to Uganda or more possibly the neighbouring country Rwanda next year to see the mountain gorillas.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Haffner

Eragon

No creativity, even less imagination. No character development whatsoever. Even the special effects are quickly tiresome.

This, and "Silent Hill", are two of the worse movies I've ever seen, both were released within the past couple of years I believe.

It seems that, unless Hollywood can remake something, there really aren't many good stories out there.

Bunny

Quote from: Bill on April 14, 2007, 08:51:53 PM
Definitely a watershed moment in "Hollywood History" Bunny.....I just love it when we travel down memory Bogie and Bacall Lane here at GMG.  However, out of the four* that they made together (To Have or Have Not; The Big Sleep;Dark Passage; and Key Largo) I would still put The Big Sleep down as my favorite of the four, followed closely by Key largo.

*The also made an appearance together here:

http://themave.com/Bacall/BB/FI/TwoGuys.htm

Bill, the most interesting thing for me about THAHN is that the chemistry between the two stars carried on to the film.  We were resigned when Sam sent Mary Astor up the river, swooned over Bogart giving up Bergman, but here was his meeting with the "keeper," and the fireworks are still there for all to see.  That chemistry is so strong that even 50 years later it makes you notice.  They were great together in all of their films, but this one is the sizzler.

Bogey

Quote from: Bunny on April 15, 2007, 07:12:36 AM
Bill, the most interesting thing for me about THAHN is that the chemistry between the two stars carried on to the film.  We were resigned when Sam sent Mary Astor up the river, swooned over Bogart giving up Bergman, but here was his meeting with the "keeper," and the fireworks are still there for all to see.  That chemistry is so strong that even 50 years later it makes you notice.  They were great together in all of their films, but this one is the sizzler.

No argument here Bunny.  Loved the movie as well....just enjoyed the others by a nose more....save Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon which always win by a few lengths. :)

George

MUCH better, than I thought, a decent rent (Uma glowed in this one  :o)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on April 14, 2007, 02:12:40 PM
Watched this last night:

It was very good but not great despite it various awards. It was predictable and a downer although it had its touching moments and moment of redemption at the end.

Wife watched that one the other night in the bedroom (while I was watching some 'old' flicks in the den) - she seemed to like the film.  Last night, Scoop w/ Johannson, Jackman, & Allen - we are BIG Woody fans (from the beginning of his film making), so had to give this one a watch - not too good (only 3/5* on Amazon), but some of Woody's 'one-liners' were hilarious (probably the best part of the film for us!  :D)

Harvested Sorrow

Quote from: Haffner on April 15, 2007, 05:57:15 AM
Eragon

No creativity, even less imagination. No character development whatsoever. Even the special effects are quickly tiresome.

This, and "Silent Hill", are two of the worse movies I've ever seen, both were released within the past couple of years I believe.

It seems that, unless Hollywood can remake something, there really aren't many good stories out there.

It was a movie based off of a low quality teenage fantasy novel.  You can't expect much out of such a movie except perhaps cool special effects.

The last movie I saw was A Clockwork Orange, picked it up yesterday.

Maciek

Quote from: George on April 15, 2007, 08:13:28 AM
MUCH better, than I thought, a decent rent (Uma glowed in this one  :o)

Absolutely agree! A friend told me it wasn't really a comedy, which made it even funnier to watch, because that friend has a very domineering mother. ;) And I think Streep is splendid here too!

George

She was Mr. Osa!

Saw today:

You've got mail