Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Bee season, with Richard Gere, Juliette Binoche.

Very good.

karlhenning

A Fish Called Wanda

The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen

Maciek

Sounds like you had some good fun, Karl!

Either this movie was grossly overhyped or I'm missing something... ???

Bunny

Run Lola Run is a hectic movie that is loads of fun, sort of like a car chase with no cars.  It's not deep, though.  Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't the inspiration for the Great Race. :o

Drasko

Quote from: MrOsa on April 16, 2007, 03:18:01 AM
Either this movie was grossly overhyped or I'm missing something... ???

What is there to miss? It is pretty simple Theme & Variations construction. I think it's impressive how he made utterly watchable 80 minutes up-tempo piece, without any flagging, out of premise that can be told in two lines.
As for not living up to hype, well that always depends on your expectations

George

Great flick, Drasko!

I particularly loved Gleason (Sherrif Bufor T. Justice) here: "I'm gonna git that sum bitch!"  8)

Better yet, when he says to his son "Junior, you gotta have a sixth sense"

and Junior replies "I'd rather have a dime daddy."

and Sheriff Buford T. Justice says "There's no way that you coulda come from my loins." 

;D ;D ;D ;D

Maciek

Quote from: Drasko on April 16, 2007, 06:09:15 AM
What is there to miss?

Well, exactly! Frankly - it bored me to death. I had to watch it in 2 goes (and my wife simply gave up after the first half). I find it derivative (Kieslowski's Blind Chance!), poorly acted and uninteresting. And the photography (which is quite nice in other Tykwer films I've seen) isn't very good either.

rubio

Yesterday I saw the Danish movie "After the Wedding" and excellent it was. Brilliant acting, and generally I must say that Danish and Swedish movies are consistently of high quality. Norwegian films are a bit behind, but absolutely improving.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Lilas Pastia

I've rented Rocco e suoi  fratelli (Rocco And His Brothers), by Visconti. I should be watching it this week. Visconti is far from my favourite filmmaker, but I've heard good things about Rocco.

Mr.Osa, do you count Smiles of a Midsummer Night among Bergman's silly comedies? It's one of my favourites in Bergman's oeuvre ;).

Maciek

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on April 16, 2007, 03:59:32 PM
Mr.Osa, do you count Smiles of a Midsummer Night among Bergman's silly comedies? It's one of my favourites in Bergman's oeuvre ;).

To tell you the truth, Lilas, I don't know ;D. It might be one of them. I didn't deliberately forget the titles (as if I could! ;D) but they seem to have faded away automatically. Since this is a film I don't remember, there are 2 possibilities: either I've never seen it, or I didn't like it. Who knows? ;D

But reading the plot summaries on IMDb I come to the conclusion that if I were to watch this today I might well enjoy it. Time for a revisit perhaps? ;)

Harvested Sorrow

I just now watched The Call of Cthulhu, a silent film made by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society. ;D  Amazing, creepy, and (for the most part) doesn't reveal that it was made on a shoestring production budget.

I dare say it does Lovecraft justice...

Drasko

Quote from: George on April 16, 2007, 06:34:58 AM
Great flick, Drasko!

Yes, I've seen it for the first time as a kid in the teathre somewhere in the mid 80s and I still remembered that last scene "Now look over your shoulder..."

Quote from: MrOsa on April 16, 2007, 10:37:41 AM
Well, exactly! Frankly - it bored me to death. I had to watch it in 2 goes (and my wife simply gave up after the first half). I find it derivative (Kieslowski's Blind Chance!), poorly acted and uninteresting. And the photography (which is quite nice in other Tykwer films I've seen) isn't very good either.

I'm not sure if Lola is derivative of Kieslowski. Kieslowski's film (if I'm not mixing things up) explores how different outcomes of one single banal event create three different lifestory scenarios for one man while Lola is three different variations on one single story. Sliding Doors is the film deffinitely derivative of Kieslowski.
And I certainly don't find it boring, it's maybe not deep & profound but I think it's film more about how than what and level of almost palpable kinetic energy is superbly caught and sustained by Tykwer, photography (and especially music - this one should be watched loud imo) is adequate to what is being depicted. Acting is perhaps not oscar material but Potente's main acting task is the one from the title and I found her formidable in it, others are mostly insignificant.

But as always, degustibus and all that

Maciek

Quote from: Drasko on April 17, 2007, 03:32:29 AM
But as always, degustibus and all that

That definitely applies here ;D - I hated the "music". The main premise (whether it is lifted from Kieslowski or not - and I'd insist it is, and also the opening sequence is uncannily like the beginning of Rouge!) does not appeal to me the slightest bit (I forgot to mention the fact that I don't generally like Kieslowski's Polish films, including Przypadek).

toledobass

Quote from: Don Giovanni on April 13, 2007, 08:36:49 AM
'Andrei Rublev' by Andrei Tarkovsky

Rather like Goethe said "Architecture is frozen music," this film, in all in stunning beauty, is like moving poetry. Almost every frame is wonderful and it being black-and-white only adds to its mysterious seductiveness.

Has anyone seen Andrei Rublev? What do you think of the rest of Tarkovsky's work?

Like all of Tarkovsky's work I love it but I don't always understand it and I have a hard time just picking it up and watching it.  I have to mentally prepare myself for the experience and make sure I'm able to focus on the movie.   

Allan

karlhenning

Quote from: Harvested Sorrow on April 16, 2007, 08:38:13 PM
I just now watched The Call of Cthulhu, a silent film made by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society. ;D  Amazing, creepy, and (for the most part) doesn't reveal that it was made on a shoestring production budget.

I dare say it does Lovecraft justice...

Entrely set in Rhode Island?  8)

Harvested Sorrow

The actual 'sets' used were on site filming out in the ocean....

And in someone's backyard with amazingly good looking cardboard cuts out for scenery. ;D

I believe there may have been an office or two in there, perhaps in Rhode Island...;)

squeemu

Quote from: karlhenning on April 17, 2007, 05:06:29 AM
Entrely set in Rhode Island?  8)

I would rate Solaris as his second best film, with Stalker coming in close after that. I really didn't care for the Sacrifice (it had a great beginning and end, but the middle was terrible). Stalker is great, but there seem to be a few contradictions in its allegories (at least to me) so it kind of falls apart towards the end. Solaris is simply amazing. The Mirror is probably his hardest film to understand, and I want to watch it a second time before forming an opinion on it.

Harvested Sorrow

Quote from: George on April 16, 2007, 06:34:58 AM
Great flick, Drasko!

I particularly loved Gleason (Sherrif Bufor T. Justice) here: "I'm gonna git that sum bitch!"  8)

Better yet, when he says to his son "Junior, you gotta have a sixth sense"

and Junior replies "I'd rather have a dime daddy."

and Sheriff Buford T. Justice says "There's no way that you coulda come from my loins." 

;D ;D ;D ;D

;D  They sell a set of all three movies for $15.  I got it for my dad and we had some great times watching them.  I low how they don't even attempt to set up a semi-non-ridiculous premise for how they end up in a chase again.

George

Quote from: Harvested Sorrow on April 17, 2007, 12:36:27 PM
;D  They sell a set of all three movies for $15.  I got it for my dad and we had some great times watching them.  I low how they don't even attempt to set up a semi-non-ridiculous premise for how they end up in a chase again.

I must keep an eye out for that. Where'd you git it?  $:)