How/Why Did You Choose Your Username?

Started by Florestan, April 13, 2024, 10:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

Quote from: Florestan on April 13, 2024, 11:53:43 AMJohann & Kegelstatt Trio, blimey --- I guessed your first name alright long time ago, yet never the second part until now....  ;D
It could have been Josef or Joachim, but you are almost correct; it's the same as Brahms' first name. I used my full name on a German forum a long time ago when I was still naive and in the Usenet days, full names and email adress were common.
I had occasionally also used a different combination of letters with that number identity but different names in other forums. I don't recall why I picked that one for the forum here, it's pleasantly short but that doesn't matter as I stay logged in forever and don't have to type it.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

foxandpeng

I've used mine elsewhere so it seemed obvious when asked. It is a combination of the names by which my wife and I are often known.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Luke

I'm going to assume that I don't need to explain that Luke is my name. I used my surname too, when I first joined,  which was right at the beginning.  Then for a while I used 'sul G' which was based on my tendency for many of my compositions to be vaguely in that tonal area.

As Karl will tell you, I am often a nightmare to get hold of on the phone or otherwise.  My brother, failing to get in touch in any way, once joined GMG as a last resort, and posted on my thread a few times!  ;D  I quite like the name he chose: jo re mi - his name is Jeremy

71 dB

20 years ago I registered on a Finnish home theatre forum. I needed to come up with a username. I decided to go with 71 dB for the following reasons:

- I wanted a short and witty username
- I was born in 1971
- dB is a reflection of my acoustic engineering background
- 71 dB is somewhat typical sound pressure level of human communication.

When I registered on GMG a few years later, I simply used the same username.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

VonStupp

Quote from: Brian on April 13, 2024, 12:12:22 PMI'm glad that my assumption of where your name came from was correct because I definitely think of her song every time!

She's just so tired... :D
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Papy Oli

Oli stands for David Johann Olivier  :P

Papy was a nickname given to me by my close mates at university. It stuck and I used variations thereof on various forums since.
Olivier

AnotherSpin

My username is from Charles Bukowski poem Question And Answer. I use it for couple of decades.

steve ridgway

I don't see any problems using my real name on a classical music forum.

W.A. Mozart

prémont

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 13, 2024, 10:54:24 PMI don't see any problems using my real name on a classical music forum.

May depend on how rare one's name is.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vandermolen

Dutch family name and (in England) sounds more aristocratic than my real name  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

atardecer

From a piano piece I like:

Atardecer for Piano (4 hands) by Joaquin Rodrigo
"The deeper education consists in unlearning one's first education." - Paul Valéry

"The Gods kindly offer us the first verse, what is difficult is to write the next ones which will be worthy of their supernatural brother." - Paul Valéry

atardecer

Quote from: Florestan on April 13, 2024, 10:54:31 AMI am astonished that Danish has a native word for mountain...  ;D  >:D  :P

What I find most curious is how you seem to have quoted a premont post that didn't exist at the time you quoted it, but in the future.
"The deeper education consists in unlearning one's first education." - Paul Valéry

"The Gods kindly offer us the first verse, what is difficult is to write the next ones which will be worthy of their supernatural brother." - Paul Valéry

prémont

Quote from: atardecer on April 14, 2024, 04:01:36 AMWhat I find most curious is how you seem to have quoted a premont post that didn't exist at the time you quoted it, but in the future.

Never heard of Florestan's prophetic abilities?

:o   8)  :laugh:  ;) 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Atriod

staxomega - the original SN I registered with on GMG around 2009 or 2010 (my SN on TalkClassical) was after my favorite headphones at the time, and this is what my old GMG posts will appear as. Later changed it to hvbias, the voltage needed to bias an amplification device after I started reading about how circuits work, the history and invention of vacuum tubes, transistors, etc. Around the same time I started reading about the history of medicine, but any username I could think of wasn't that great or bordering on grotesque. Current one only my partner knows about, so get to know me better than her and you'll find out  :laugh: I suppose I could have done a username matching my Wagner avatar but I didn't want to confine myself to a single composer.

prémont

Quote from: Atriod on April 14, 2024, 04:23:39 AMCurrent one [atriod] only my partner knows about, so get to know me better than her and you'll find out  :laugh:
Anagram for adroit?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Atriod

Quote from: prémont on April 14, 2024, 04:31:51 AMAnagram for adroit?

It's not, that would have been a really good one if I chose to become a surgeon.

Spotted Horses

A long time ago (decades) I used Scarpia, or Baron Scarpia, in a vague attempt to be edgy. Occasionally I would decide to discontinue participation (due to various reasons, including the fact that I felt it was taking up too much time) and would eventually re-register, intending just to use to account to lurk occasionally, but when I started participating again it would be under the new username. At one point I randomly chose Parsifal, and later references to Faulkner novels (Ratliff, Varner, Spotted Horses). So no deep meaning.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Quote from: Atriod on April 14, 2024, 04:23:39 AMCurrent one only my partner knows about, so get to know me better than her and you'll find out  :laugh: I

A triode?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 14, 2024, 12:42:05 AMIt's my real name.

You must have a split personality, then, because in another forum your real name is Hans Zimmer.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy