Favourite pianist who emerged in 1st decade of 21st Century

Started by Hobby, April 25, 2024, 05:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Atriod on April 26, 2024, 04:35:12 AMBehzod Abduraimov

No doubt he's one of the great pianists today, but he did not emerge until the 2010s.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Atriod

Quote from: Todd on April 26, 2024, 04:49:37 AMNo doubt he's one of the great pianists today, but he did not emerge until the 2010s.

Woops thought it was 21st century in general, I see the thread starter does specify 1st decade.

Todd

Quote from: Hobby on April 26, 2024, 04:08:57 AMI was also surprised by the earlier inclusion of Nadia Cole, with only two major recordings and one of these from 1990's. I would expect any serious candidates to have at least 10 or 12 recordings by now given 15 to 25 years since 'emergence' on the recorded scene.

Ms Cole was a very fine talent and one of the great what could have beens had she opted to pursue a career as a concert pianist.  Several concerts have also circulated, and I believe she still engages in public performances as fundraisers for medical charities now.  Quantity of recordings is irrelevant, of course.  The most famous example of that is Ignaz Friedman.  Esteban Sanchez left few recordings given his talent.  Arcadi Volodos is only about ten recordings in after over a quarter century.  While Ms Cole is not at the same level as the mentioned gentlemen, they illustrate the point. 

While lists can sometimes be boring, they are no more boring than limiting the world of extraordinary pianists now on offer to just one.  I can offer color to my Big Five – well, I could for all of them and more – and it will be oh so brief. 

Herbert Schuch – Immense technique combined with novel but non-eccentric approaches to core rep, with other rep mixed in.  His ability to play any genre, any period, and infuse his new ideas captivates.  His mixed rep discs are outstanding, the LvB-Ligeti one is a work of genius.  Anyone who elevates Invitation to the Dance to serious music is tip-top.

YES – Superb technique, great rhythmic sense, captivating touch, and at home in all genres and all time periods she's covered so far.  She's been able to displace Pollini and establish my new personal reference in Stravinsky's Three Movements from Petrushka. 

William Youn – Favors refined and poetic playing, beauty, and fine gradations of dynamics between pianissimo and mezzo-piano over barnstorming virtuosity, thought he can do that too.  Mesmerizing pianism. 

Bertrand Chamayou – The ne plus ultra of contemporary French pianism.  While some of his playing sounds potentially less profound than some others, his ability to play anything with ease makes even the most knotty music enjoyable.  Forget Yunchan Lim, Chamayou's Transcendental Etudes are still the best on the market.

Ragna Schirmer – Serious, meticulous, sometimes almost dour, but with high-end technique and an ability to let loose when she wants (eg, the jazzy transcriptions of Handel concertos, awful as they may be to my ears), she comes closest to rising to the level of being the modern-day Annie Fischer, though both YES and Irina Mejoueva are not far behind.

Hobby

Thanks Todd. Knew we could rely on you to come up with deep and interesting insights. I thought the bar at 10 or 12 fairly low on numbers for 15 to 25 years of activity but of course there are exceptions - at least one Nobel Prize winner in Economics had very few publications. Ugorskaja and Angelich come to mind as having been cut short by premature death too.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Quote from: Hobby on April 26, 2024, 07:05:01 AMUgorskaja and Angelich come to mind as having been cut short by premature death too.

I included Ugorskaja in my list, but Angelich began recording and concertizing widely in the mid-90s. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

ChatGPT on why Herbert Schuch is a great pianist:

Quote from: Future head of DG marketingHerbert Schuch is widely regarded as a great pianist for several reasons. Firstly, his technical mastery of the instrument is impeccable. He possesses a remarkable command over the keyboard, allowing him to execute even the most demanding pieces with precision and finesse.

Secondly, Schuch is known for his deep musical insight and interpretative prowess. He delves into the emotional core of each piece, bringing out its nuances and expressing its innermost sentiments with clarity and sincerity. His interpretations are often praised for their depth, sensitivity, and intelligence.

Additionally, Schuch's performances are characterized by their compelling artistry and expressive range. Whether he is tackling classical masterpieces or contemporary works, he infuses his playing with a captivating sense of musicality and creativity, captivating audiences and critics alike.

Furthermore, Schuch is admired for his dedication to musical exploration and innovation. He is not afraid to take risks and push boundaries, constantly seeking new ways to interpret familiar repertoire and championing lesser-known composers and works.

Overall, Herbert Schuch's combination of technical excellence, interpretative insight, artistic flair, and adventurous spirit mark him as one of the great pianists of his generation, earning him acclaim and admiration from audiences and fellow musicians worldwide.

That's some very insightful writing.  It's so good that I then asked ChatGPT to list Schuch's greatest recordings and describe why they are great:

Quote from: Future former head of DG marketingHerbert Schuch has several acclaimed recordings that showcase his exceptional talent and musicality across a range of repertoire. Here are a few standout examples:

Schubert: Piano Sonata D. 960 & Moments Musicaux - Schuch's recording of Schubert's Piano Sonata in B-flat major, D. 960, and Moments Musicaux is widely praised for its profound musicality and insightful interpretation. He brings out the depth and lyricism of Schubert's writing with sensitivity and clarity, capturing the emotional essence of these iconic works.

Brahms: Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 - Schuch's recording of Brahms' Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 showcases his commanding presence as a soloist, as well as his ability to collaborate seamlessly with orchestras. His performances are marked by their technical brilliance, expressive depth, and dynamic range, making this recording a standout in the Brahms discography.

Liszt: Transcendental Études - Schuch's recording of Liszt's Transcendental Études demonstrates his virtuosity and flair for the dramatic. He navigates the formidable technical challenges of these pieces with ease, while also bringing out their poetic and expressive qualities. His interpretation breathes new life into these iconic works, earning praise from critics and audiences alike.

Debussy: Préludes, Books 1 & 2 - Schuch's recording of Debussy's Préludes showcases his affinity for the French Impressionist style. He captures the atmospheric and evocative nature of Debussy's music with finesse, displaying a keen sense of color, texture, and nuance. His performances are characterized by their elegance, subtlety, and sheer beauty.

Schumann: Piano Works - Schuch's recording of Schumann's piano works offers a comprehensive survey of the composer's output, ranging from the intimate lyricism of the Kinderszenen to the virtuosic fireworks of the Toccata. Throughout the recording, Schuch demonstrates a deep understanding of Schumann's music, bringing out its inherent passion, lyricism, and emotional depth.

Overall, these recordings exemplify Herbert Schuch's exceptional artistry and musicianship, earning him widespread acclaim as one of the finest pianists of his generation.

Hobby

I'm intrigued by this. I cannot find any of these recordings on Qobuz and they are not listed on Herbert Schuch's website. What am I missing? I certainly love his recordings that I have heard.
Am I right in assuming chat GPT has become the new vehicle for 'objective' assessment? It would be fun if it scraped the GMG site and provided the objective answer to Todd's favourite 2000 emergent pianist!
It would be interesting to see what it came up with for Steven Osborne.

Hobby

Todd wrote
"Ms Cole was a very fine talent and one of the great what could have beens had she opted to pursue a career as a concert pianist.  Several concerts have also circulated, and I believe she still engages in public performances as fundraisers for medical charities now.  Quantity of recordings is irrelevant, of course.  The most famous example of that is Ignaz Friedman.  Esteban Sanchez left few recordings given his talent.  Arcadi Volodos is only about ten recordings in after over a quarter century.  While Ms Cole is not at the same level as the mentioned gentlemen, they illustrate the point."

I've now had a chance to listen to Ms Cole - her Gaspard and Miroirs are both extraordinary and I look forward to hearing her Liszt sonata. I'm delighted to have been triggered into looking for her and getting the chance to listen, but still feel she did not meet the criteria set.
Talking of Ravel I do think Steven Osborne's complete solo recital is as fine as it gets. I recall that his Gaspard del la unit won the shoot out hands down and that was partly due to three scores of ten from Todd, who then did an A/B comparison with Schuch's recording which he gave to Osborne by a short head.

Todd

Quote from: Hobby on April 28, 2024, 12:13:13 AMI'm intrigued by this. I cannot find any of these recordings on Qobuz and they are not listed on Herbert Schuch's website. What am I missing?

No such recordings exist.  ChatGPT generated misinformation.  It was an LLM fail. 

Hobby

I've now listened to Naida Cole's Liszt Sonata and was not captivated by it. The performance was too bitty and did not hang together - not uncommon with this piece.
Her multitalented story slightly reminds me of Paul Wee, the full time London barrister who recorded a top- notch version of Allan's Concerto and Symphony for solo piano op.39 parts 4-10.

Hobby

Quote from: Todd on April 28, 2024, 04:41:16 AMNo such recordings exist.  ChatGPT generated misinformation.  It was an LLM fail. 

I'm surprised you didn't notice this before posting.

Todd

Quote from: Hobby on April 28, 2024, 04:54:41 AMI'm surprised you didn't notice this before posting.

You did see the Dr Steve Brule gif and the quote attributions, yes?

Hobby

At the start of this  it was proposed that wish-lists for new recordings by the artists would illuminating. Todd often did this in his illuminating Asian Invasion thread.
For Steven Osborne I would love to hear some or all of the following

-Beethoven Op 31 sonatas
-Late Schubert sonatas - I've heard him play D 959 and D 960 live and they were really good interpretations
-Schumann Fantasie - one of my favourite pieces - I just listened to YES version which is magical, despite slightly overlong pauses in first movement but a definite YESSS!!
-Liszt Sonata and Annees de Pelerinage, both among my favourite pieces
-Messiaen Quartet for the End of Time, which I've heard him play live twice. He is a leading Messiaen interpreter.

Hobby

Quote from: Todd on April 28, 2024, 04:58:06 AMYou did see the Dr Steve Brule gif and the quote attributions, yes?

I'd never heard of Dr Steve Brûlée before this. Perhaps you could explain the reason for the chat GPT post then in the context of this thread?

Todd

Quote from: Hobby on April 28, 2024, 05:28:42 AMPerhaps you could explain the reason for the chat GPT post then in the context of this thread?

Fun.

Mandryka

Quote from: Hobby on April 28, 2024, 05:12:54 AMAt the start of this  it was proposed that wish-lists for new recordings by the artists would illuminating. Todd often did this in his illuminating Asian Invasion thread.
For Steven Osborne I would love to hear some or all of the following

-Beethoven Op 31 sonatas
-Late Schubert sonatas - I've heard him play D 959 and D 960 live and they were really good interpretations
-Schumann Fantasie - one of my favourite pieces - I just listened to YES version which is magical, despite slightly overlong pauses in first movement but a definite YESSS!!
-Liszt Sonata and Annees de Pelerinage, both among my favourite pieces
-Messiaen Quartet for the End of Time, which I've heard him play live twice. He is a leading Messiaen interpreter.

Have you heard Osborne's DBT? Seeing you mention the Schumann fantasy made me think of it - it's a CD with his Mozart PC 24.

The thing I would love to hear him play on record is Kurtag's Jatekok - I heard him play Kurtag duets with Paul Lewis and it was great fun. And of course, I'd like to hear him play Messiaen's Catalogue d'Oiseaux.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aukhawk

No love for Yuja Wang? Her debut recording (YouTube aside) was 2009.

Hobby

Quote from: Mandryka on April 28, 2024, 06:31:25 AMHave you heard Osborne's DBT? Seeing you mention the Schumann fantasy made me think of it - it's a CD with his Mozart PC 24.

The thing I would love to hear him play on record is Kurtag's Jatekok - I heard him play Kurtag duets with Paul Lewis and it was great fun. And of course, I'd like to hear him play Messiaen's Catalogue d'Oiseaux.

I don't know that CD at all. I heard him play Kinderszenen live a couple of months ago which was excellent.