Favourite pianist who emerged in 1st decade of 21st Century

Started by Hobby, April 25, 2024, 05:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Hobby on April 28, 2024, 10:27:28 AMI don't know that CD at all. I heard him play Kinderszenen live a couple of months ago which was excellent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concerto-Piano-OSBORNE-STEVEN-piano/dp/B00002888F

I played the DBT after making that post. I think it's wonderful!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Todd on April 25, 2024, 08:22:20 AMOthers of no little distinction
Minsoo Sohn (aka, Yunchan Lim's teacher)

It would be unfortunate if Sohn is remembered primarily as YCL's teacher. I had the privilege of hearing MSS live last night in New York, in an all-Liszt program consisting of the Consolations and Transcendental Etudes. Spectacular technique and musicianship, though not as impulsive or impetuous as Yunchan. (But based on what you say about Chamayou, I'll have to hear his Liszt too, since I think Yunchan is pretty damned good.)

I think MSS's Beethoven is very solid too, though I can't find the CDs even used. You can however download all his Beethoven sonatas from his website.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Todd

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on April 28, 2024, 11:23:50 AMIt would be unfortunate if Sohn is remembered primarily as YCL's teacher. I had the privilege of hearing MSS live last night in New York, in an all-Liszt program consisting of the Consolations and Transcendental Etudes. Spectacular technique and musicianship, though not as impulsive or impetuous as Yunchan. (But based on what you say about Chamayou, I'll have to hear his Liszt too, since I think Yunchan is pretty damned good.)

I think MSS's Beethoven is very solid too, though I can't find the CDs even used. You can however download all his Beethoven sonatas from his website.

Sohn is an enormous talent, but I get the sense that he focuses more on his teaching duties than either concertizing or recording.  I hope that his live Diabellis are released one day, assuming they were recorded, and that some pirated live recordings get issued.  It's interesting to me that he counts no less than Russell Sherman among his teachers and inspirations.  It is difficult to think of two more widely divergent pianists. 

Lim is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but so is Chamayou.  He has been at it longer, and his musical interest vary widely. 

Holden

Naida Cole introduced me to a range of composers I'd not really bothered to listen to with Cecile Chaminade really standing out. I rate both her musicianship and technique very highly. A pity she went back to her medical career as she was only just starting out.

That Ojiro Op28/15 is superb and I might be hard pressed to find a better interpretation.
Cheers

Holden

Hobby

Quote from: Todd on April 28, 2024, 11:00:29 AMHow is Osborne's Tovey?
It was his first CD paired with the Mackenzie concerto 1998 and it's a long time since I listened to it.
His first solo CD was the unusual and highly rated Kapustin in 2000. He visited Kapustin to get hitherto unpublished scores. Given one of Osborne's early heros was the jazz pianist Keith Jarrett the choice of Kapustin for his first solo album makes some sense.

Todd

Quote from: Hobby on April 28, 2024, 12:57:20 PMIt was his first CD paired with the Mackenzie concerto 1998 and it's a long time since I listened to it.

It does appear that was his first CD. 

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on April 28, 2024, 01:08:46 PMIt does appear that was his first CD.

The Schumann and Mozart CD was 1992 according to Amazon.

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on April 28, 2024, 01:32:13 PMThe Schumann and Mozart CD was 1992 according to Amazon.

My bad.  It also looks like he squeaked in an early Ravel disc for Musical Heritage Society that was released between his first and second Hyperion releases, but I don't know when it was recorded. 

In the late 90s and early aughts, comprehensive discographies of different artists seemed more prevalent than today for some reason, and some of the old ones have disappeared.  Discogs and allmusic.com do not really suffice.  Maybe I will scour the Wayback Machine for discographies at some point.

atardecer

Quote from: aukhawk on April 28, 2024, 09:44:18 AMNo love for Yuja Wang? Her debut recording (YouTube aside) was 2009.

I was wondering the same, to me her sound is better than most of the pianists listed in this thread. Her recorded repertoire though perhaps is relatively underwhelming.
"The deeper education consists in unlearning one's first education." - Paul Valéry

"The Gods kindly offer us the first verse, what is difficult is to write the next ones which will be worthy of their supernatural brother." - Paul Valéry

aukhawk

Here is an interesting YouTube which shows Yuja Wang's heart rate - alongside those of the conductor, the orchestra as a collective, and the audience as a collective - during an extended Rachmaninoff performance at the Carnegie Hall.

Hobby

Also found this one from 2009
https://www.ippnw-concerts.de/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/84_0.jpg CD #68
10,00 €
Enthält 19% MwSt.
zzgl. Versand

Nicht vorrätig
25 Jahre IPPNW-Concerts – Konzert 20.09.2009 – Schostakowitsch / Schubert
DOWNLOAD CD 68 via eCLASSICAL

Beschreibung

Mandryka

I can let you have a concert recording of Osoborne with The Petersen Quartet, playing a version of Mozart's PC12 for quartet and piano, and the Shostakovich piano quartet. A concert in Schwetzinger in 2006.

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Hobby

Quote from: Mandryka on April 29, 2024, 08:20:56 AMI can let you have a concert recording of Osoborne with The Petersen Quartet, playing a version of Mozart's PC12 for quartet and piano, and the Shostakovich piano quartet. A concert in Schwetzinger in 2006.
That would be nice. It's good to interact with someone who is possibly an even bigger fan of Osborne.

Herman

Quote from: aukhawk on April 29, 2024, 12:21:26 AMHere is an interesting YouTube which shows Yuja Wang's heart rate - alongside those of the conductor, the orchestra as a collective, and the audience as a collective - during an extended Rachmaninoff performance at the Carnegie Hall.

Interesting. My guess is it's got nothing to do with how many notes there are in the soloist's part. The heartrate goes up when the music in the orchestra is really loud.

Loud music is overwhelming and scary; it makes one's flight impulses kick in. In days of yore attacking armies used noise as a weapon.

Florestan

Quote from: aukhawk on April 28, 2024, 09:44:18 AMNo love for Yuja Wang?

Oh, yes, of course, she's lovely indeed. And she can play the piano, too. Dynamite combination.  8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on April 29, 2024, 10:03:59 AMAny thoughts on Jan Liesicki?

Quite positive thoughts actually, at least in Chopin's nocturnes. I kind of feel that he's managed to find  a very personal approach to the nocturnes - I mean there are loads of ideas about rubato, tempo etc - but it doesn't come across as unnatural to me, or as self conscious. I haven't heard the etudes yet - and I'm not much interested in concertos these days.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on May 01, 2024, 07:36:00 AMQuite positive thoughts actually, at least in Chopin's nocturnes. I kind of feel that he's managed to find  a very personal approach to the nocturnes - I mean there are loads of ideas about rubato, tempo etc - but it doesn't come across as unnatural to me, or as self conscious. I haven't heard the etudes yet - and I'm not much interested in concertos these days.

Listened to them very recently, loved them. Lisiecki is very good, not only in Chopin but also in Mendelssohn's PCs.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy