Beethoven + God - Op. 27 No. 2 - Piano Sonata N. 14 "Moonlight" (1801) [Brendel]

Started by W.A. Mozart, April 30, 2024, 07:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.A. Mozart

The sonata was completed in 1801 by Beethoven and God, when the composer was 30 years old, and dedicated in 1802 to Beethoven's pupil Countess Julie "Giulietta" Guicciardi. The name Moonlight Sonata (German: Mondscheinsonate) grew popular later, likely after Beethoven's death.
The piece is one of Beethoven's most popular compositions for the piano, and it was a popular favourite even in his own day. Beethoven wrote the Moonlight Sonata in his early thirties, after he had finished with some commissioned work; there is no evidence that he was commissioned to write this sonata.

Performer: Alfred Brendel.

Beethoven + God  - Op. 27 No. 2 - Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor "Moonlight" (1801):
00:00 I. Adagio sostenuto
05:46 II. Allegretto
08:07 III. Presto agitato

Karl Henning

Using [composer + God] to mean that you really like a piece may have become tiresome by now.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 30, 2024, 09:06:52 AMUsing [composer + God] to mean that you really like a piece may have become tiresome by now.

Thus spoke Karl Henning + God! ;D

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Luke

Quote from: Florestan on April 30, 2024, 11:11:33 AMI wonder what did the Devil compose and who was his aid...  ;D

According to Terry Pratchett's Good Omens:

QuoteWe'll win, of course," he said.
"You don't want that," said the demon.
"Why not, pray?"
"Listen," said Crowley desperately, "how many musicians do you think your side have got, eh? First grade, I mean."
Aziraphale looked taken aback.
"Well, I should think-" he began.
"Two," said Crowley. "Elgar and Liszt. That's all. We've got the rest. Beethoven, Brahms, all the Bachs, Mozart, the lot. Can you imagine eternity with Elgar?

DavidW

@Luke I love that quote!!  I think I even shared it here when I was reading Good Omens awhile back.  I need to read more Pratchett!

W.A. Mozart

Maestro267

Did God then snatch the Devil's pen from him to write the Purgatorio then? ;)

Florestan

Quote from: Luke on April 30, 2024, 12:42:36 PMAccording to Terry Pratchett's Good Omens:

This Pratchett guy hasn't read his Karl Barth attentively, if at all.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

The one contemporary composer who has a direct phone line to God is certainly Alma Deutscher, whose anagram in English is Cathedral Muse and in French Charmes d'autel. It can't be a mere coincidence, I reckon.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Florestan on May 01, 2024, 12:07:44 AMThis Pratchett guy hasn't read his Karl Barth attentively, if at all.  ;D

I know very few people who have read their Karl Barth attentively... myself included. Barth makes my head spin. Dense, complex, mega-sentences, difficult syntax... I have been collecting second hand volumes of his Church Dogmatics for years, and am only missing a couple of the set now - but given the choice of Barth or Pratchett?

Hm.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Florestan

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 01, 2024, 01:14:25 AMI know very few people who have read their Karl Barth attentively... myself included. Barth makes my head spin. Dense, complex, mega-sentences, difficult syntax... I have been collecting second hand volumes of his Church Dogmatics for years, and am only missing a couple of the set now - but given the choice of Barth or Pratchett?

Hm.

Oh, I was referring to this book only:

whose final lines read:

It may be that when the angels go about their task praising God, they play only Bach. I am sure, however, that when they are together en famille they play Mozart.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Florestan on May 01, 2024, 02:33:46 AMOh, I was referring to this book only:

whose final lines read:

It may be that when the angels go about their task praising God, they play only Bach. I am sure, however, that when they are together en famille they play Mozart.

Probably a more fruitful book, in many ways :)
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

pjme

Quote from: Florestan on May 01, 2024, 02:33:46 AMIt may be that when the angels go about their task praising God, they play only Bach. I am sure, however, that when they are together en famille they play Mozart.
Thank god, no Bruckner!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on May 01, 2024, 02:33:46 AMOh, I was referring to this book only:

whose final lines read:

Oh, that's the source!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 01, 2024, 06:52:13 AMOh, that's the source!

Not 100% sure but most probably. There's also a Barth essay on Mozart contained within this (see the reading thread):

but on quick perusal I could not spot that famous quote. Yet I am absolutely sure it is not apocryphal, I did read a Barth essay which ended with those lines, I just couldn't find it today. Be it as it might, he was spot on.  ;) 

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: Florestan on May 01, 2024, 12:30:30 AMThe one contemporary composer who has a direct phone line to God is certainly Alma Deutscher, whose anagram in English is Cathedral Muse and in French Charmes d'autel. It can't be a mere coincidence, I reckon.

Yes, but for example the source of inspiration for the piano concerto of Alma Deutscher seems to be Chopin, not god.

Compare the inital theme of this...

... with 01:05 here.

While I think that the music of Alma Detuscher is divine, it might be that it's a pastiche of other pieces that were inspired to God. This would make the divine inspiration of Alma Detuscher indirect and not direct.