2007 Pulitzer Prize in Music announced

Started by bhodges, April 16, 2007, 01:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

The winner is Ornette Coleman, for Sound Grammar.  Finalists included Eliot Goldenthal for Grendel (premiered in June 2006 at the Los Angeles Opera), and Augusta Read Thomas for Astral Canticle (premiered last June by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra).

I'd read great reviews of Coleman's recording that came out last fall, and am happy that he won.  Nice to see a great jazz artist get his due.  However, I'm mystified at the inclusion of Goldenthal, whose Grendel was one of the most disappointing things of last year.  (I saw it at the Lincoln Center Festival.)  And I haven't heard Thomas' piece, but like her work in general. 

Complete list of winners in all categories at the Pulitzer website here.

--Bruce

PerfectWagnerite

I don't know about the Pulitzer Prize but on Saturday evening on WQXR in NYC they have this show "From the Top" and they played a piece by a 16 year old composer that I swear is better than 99% of the contemporary music out there.

Anne

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 16, 2007, 04:01:43 PM
I don't know about the Pulitzer Prize but on Saturday evening on WQXR in NYC they have this show "From the Top" and they played a piece by a 16 year old composer that I swear is better than 99% of the contemporary music out there.

By any chance was his name Jay Greenberg?  He was discussed on the old BB.

PerfectWagnerite

oyasumi

greg

i've never heard of Ornette Coleman......

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: oyasumi on April 16, 2007, 07:18:11 PM
Rochelle Chester?

After going to the WQXR website I found out who this talented 16 year old is:

Nathasha Shinha (16, Milton, MA), an honoree of From The Top's Young Composers Project, has her own work, Seasons of the Year, performed by cellist Soojin Lee (14, Newton, MA) and pianist Ha Eun Lee(18, Ellicot City, MD).

bhodges

Quote from: greg on April 17, 2007, 10:52:15 AM

He's a jazz saxophonist, and -- I didn't realize this yesterday -- is the first jazz composer to receive the Pulitzer. 

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on April 17, 2007, 10:54:32 AM
He's a jazz saxophonist, and -- I didn't realize this yesterday -- is the first jazz composer to receive the Pulitzer.

Bruce, I thought that distinction went to Wynton Marsalis in the 1997 prize?

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on April 17, 2007, 11:03:53 AM
Bruce, I thought that distinction went to Wynton Marsalis in the 1997 prize?

Just checked the Pulitzer site, and you are right!  Thanks for the correction.

--Bruce

Grazioso

Quote from: greg on April 17, 2007, 10:52:15 AM

A major figure in jazz, primarily known as an alto sax player and composer, but he also plays tenor, violin, etc. In the late 50's/early 60's, he spearheaded the burgeoning free jazz movement with controversial performances and now-classic albums like Free Jazz, Change of the Century, and The Shape of Jazz to Come. Famous compositions include "Lonely Woman" and "Ramblin'".
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

oyasumi

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 17, 2007, 10:53:22 AM
After going to the WQXR website I found out who this talented 16 year old is:

Nathasha Shinha (16, Milton, MA), an honoree of From The Top's Young Composers Project, has her own work, Seasons of the Year, performed by cellist Soojin Lee (14, Newton, MA) and pianist Ha Eun Lee(18, Ellicot City, MD).

I listened to the cello and piano piece. It's a fine work, but better than 99 percent of other music?

George

Quote from: bhodges on April 16, 2007, 01:28:17 PM
The winner is Ornette Coleman, for Sound Grammar.  --Bruce

I just sampled this one on itunes, sounds great!

Thanks for directing my attention to this Bruce! I shall get it soon!  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 16, 2007, 04:01:43 PM

I heard that too, I listen to "From the Top" most Saturdays. It gives me faith that the next generation is carrying the torch forward. It was a very nice piece of work, and well-played by the young cellist and pianist too.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Guido

Where can one listen to Natasha Shinha's piece?

EDIT: found it if anyone interested: http://www.fromthetop.org/Programs/Performers.cfm?pid=2259

An astonishing piece to come from an eight year old! I can't believe it actually.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away