The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

2007 Pulitzer Prize in Music announced

(1/3) > >>

Brewski:
The winner is Ornette Coleman, for Sound Grammar.  Finalists included Eliot Goldenthal for Grendel (premiered in June 2006 at the Los Angeles Opera), and Augusta Read Thomas for Astral Canticle (premiered last June by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra).

I'd read great reviews of Coleman's recording that came out last fall, and am happy that he won.  Nice to see a great jazz artist get his due.  However, I'm mystified at the inclusion of Goldenthal, whose Grendel was one of the most disappointing things of last year.  (I saw it at the Lincoln Center Festival.)  And I haven't heard Thomas' piece, but like her work in general. 

Complete list of winners in all categories at the Pulitzer website here.

--Bruce

PerfectWagnerite:
I don't know about the Pulitzer Prize but on Saturday evening on WQXR in NYC they have this show "From the Top" and they played a piece by a 16 year old composer that I swear is better than 99% of the contemporary music out there.

Anne:

--- Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 16, 2007, 03:01:43 PM ---I don't know about the Pulitzer Prize but on Saturday evening on WQXR in NYC they have this show "From the Top" and they played a piece by a 16 year old composer that I swear is better than 99% of the contemporary music out there.

--- End quote ---

By any chance was his name Jay Greenberg?  He was discussed on the old BB.

PerfectWagnerite:
It was a girl.

oyasumi:
Rochelle Chester?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version