Edmund Rubbra (1901-1986)

Started by Catison, April 09, 2007, 09:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Rubbra 3, and this Lyrita recording, is amongst my favourite English symphonies. There is a tuneful accessibility about it, which demands engagement, and never fails to leave a smile.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

relm1

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 22, 2023, 03:00:27 PMRubbra 3, and this Lyrita recording, is amongst my favourite English symphonies. There is a tuneful accessibility about it, which demands engagement, and never fails to leave a smile.

I LOVE this disc which I have.  Very good music.

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 22, 2023, 03:00:27 PMRubbra 3, and this Lyrita recording, is amongst my favourite English symphonies. There is a tuneful accessibility about it, which demands engagement, and never fails to leave a smile.
Indeed! I like Resurgam as well and find it rather moving. I like that Lyrita CD but prefer the4th Symphony in recordings conducted by Hickox and, best of all, by Rubbra himself. Still, that Del Mar CD is one of the great Rubbra discs.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DaveF

The second sonata is an absolute riot!  Especially the ever-so-slightly corny flamenco finale.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

kyjo

Quote from: DaveF on November 21, 2023, 01:45:30 PM

The second sonata is an absolute riot!  Especially the ever-so-slightly corny flamenco finale.

Interesting! "Corny" is one of the last words I would typically associate with Rubbra's music! ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

DaveF

Quote from: kyjo on November 26, 2023, 01:06:55 PMInteresting! "Corny" is one of the last words I would typically associate with Rubbra's music! ;D

You would be surprised!  He used to say that he had a lost Spanish ancestor who influenced his music occasionally.  He specifically mentioned the beginning of Ode to the Queen, although I don't hear it so clearly there.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison