The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Tchaikovsky

(1/98) > >>

tjguitar:
I got this 8 disc set off CDUniverse some months ago for only $16.97 plus shipping!  I'm not sure how they did it for so cheap, it was a pre-order, and once it was released it took a huge jump in price, but its some fantastic music, I had not had much exposure to Tchaikovsky prior outside of the obvious (Nutcracker, 1812, etc), but I thought this was a really good set, but I haven't really heard any recordings to compare it to.  It's mostly Abbaddo, but there's a few discs of Tilson Thomas with some Zubin Mehta here and there.

Brewski:
That's certainly a great price for 8 discs, and if you've never heard the symphonies...they are great, aren't they!  At some point you may want to investigate some other individual recordings, such as some of Mariss Jansons' work with the Oslo Philharmonic, or one of my favorites, Leonard Bernstein's recording of the Sixth Symphony, one of his last projects with the New York Philharmonic. 

I just heard the Met's recent Eugene Onegin yesterday for the umpteenth time, and it's quite a superb opera if you are inclined toward the genre.  The vocal writing is tremendously moving, and the score also includes some exciting dance sequences for the orchestra.  I don't know where you're located, but here in NYC they're showing it again next week on public television, on Thursday, April 26.

--Bruce

david johnson:
the few i've heard from that box are really good.
good price.

dj

Wanderer:
Despite my initial expectations upon obtaining this box, I enjoyed Tilson-Thomas' contributions more than Abbado's. For the price, a great bargain for sure.

Steve:
That is a wonderful price. With the exception of the Jansons, I generally avoid reccomending Tchaikovsky Symphony Sets. For the early symphonies, my preference is Abbado, for the the 4th and 5th, Karajan or Ormandy.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version