Tchaikovsky

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Herman on May 29, 2009, 12:50:34 PM
Personally I find none of those later recordings by the Borodin QT very good. There is a recording of the Tchaikovsky SQs with an earlier incarnation of the Borodin Qt

Took the words right out of my mouth! :o  :)

snyprr, try to locate the earlier EMI issue by the Borodin Qt - the Teldec is aggresive, soulless crap.

Q

snyprrr

If that's true, and I hear them in better "guises", and LIKE them, then this Borodin/Teldec set must go down as the worst performance I've ever heard of anything. I may very well still not like the music, but this set makes them sound garrulous (I think THAT'S the word I was looking for earlier).

Herman

Keep in mind, too, they are net the world's best SQs. One likes them arguably because one loves Tchaikovsky, and wants to hear everything he did.

snyprrr

Thank you. I'll stop apologizing!

karlhenning

Sort of like Mozart juvenilia  ;)

karlhenning

I've gotten to where I genuinely enjoy the Rococo Variations, though.  First few years I knew of them, I just thought them the hokiest stuff imaginable.

karlhenning

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 25, 2008, 05:40:05 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for Tchaikovsky String Quartet # 3 and the String Sextet "Souvenirs de Florence"?

Have you fetched in the sextet yet, Ray? Have you, have you?

ChamberNut

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 05:21:58 AM
Have you fetched in the sextet yet, Ray? Have you, have you?

No, I haven't yet.  I still don't have SQ # 3 or the Sextet in the ChamberNut Chest.  :(

karlhenning

I do enjoy the quartets, but cannot really argue against neighbors who find them lower-shelf Tchaikovsky.  But the Souvenirs de Florence is essential!

Herman

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 05:26:28 AM
I do enjoy the quartets, but cannot really argue against neighbors who find them lower-shelf Tchaikovsky.  But the Souvenirs de Florence is essential!

True. Both in the 6tet and in the orchestral version.

karlhenning

Quote from: Moldyoldie on May 29, 2009, 07:21:30 AM
. . . 1 and 2 also have their moments, but No. 3 does absolutely nothing for me over its entire five interminable movements . . . .

If it do not, it doesn't, but . . . I like it all very well.  In a very general sense, it takes its 'character cues' from Mendelssohn . . . the drama is reserved for the outer movements, and the three interior movements are movements of poised stasis, and grace.

karlhenning

Quote from: Herman on May 30, 2009, 06:08:11 AM
True. Both in the 6tet and in the orchestral version.

Hmm . . . preferred recordings of the orchestral version, Herman?

karlhenning

Quote from: Que on August 07, 2007, 09:04:01 AM
The piano trio is a masterpiece - no kidding.

I wonder if Ray is listening . . . .

8)

ChamberNut

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 03:32:18 PM
I wonder if Ray is listening . . . .

8)

Ray is away at the moment.  I will relay him the message.  0:)

karlhenning

Paging Ray, white courtesy telephone, please.

ChamberNut

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 03:40:10 PM
Paging Ray, white courtesy telephone, please.

Here I am.   8)  And no...I haven't heard P.I.T.'s PT yet.  0:)

Herman

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 01:41:24 PM

Oh, my primary experience of the orchestrated version of the Souvenir de Florence is a concert performance by the Kirov. I do have a COEurope cd conducted by Gerard Korsten. I never made serious work of looking for good, nest & better, frankly.

Drasko

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 01:41:24 PM

Well, I'm not Herman obviously, but my favorite experience of the orchestrated version was also concert, St.Thomas-stuck-in-doorway led by Joshua Bell from first violin. Electrifying performance, unexpectedy after dullest Four Seasons one can imagine, in the first part of the evening.
As for recordings, don't know many but have fond recollections of an early Naxos disc with Vienna Chamber Orchestra led by Philippe Entremont of all people.

Herman

I have heard more people say good things about that Entrement recording.

karlhenning

I'll keep my eyes open for a live performance opportunity, then  ;)