Tchaikovsky

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: hvbias on February 18, 2022, 10:00:39 AM
Parsifal is quite high up there with pieces of music I can listen to and lose track of time.

Why, sure. As David Randolph put it, Parsifal is the kind of opera that begins at 6 o'clock, goes on for three hours, then you look at the watch and it reads 6:15.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Symphonic Addict

What are your favorite recordings of his Manfred Symphony? Just listened to Chailly's account with the RCO. Simply fabulous. There is no lack of excitement, colour, and subtleness at all.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 11, 2022, 08:11:45 PM
What are your favorite recordings of his Manfred Symphony? Just listened to Chailly's account with the RCO. Simply fabulous. There is no lack of excitement, colour, and subtleness at all.

As much as I love Tchaikovsky, I'm still not completely in love with the Manfred Symphony, but the Jurowski/LPO is an outstanding performance as is this one with Petrenko and the Liverpudlians:

LKB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 11, 2022, 08:24:27 PM
As much as I love Tchaikovsky, I'm still not completely in love with the Manfred Symphony, but the Jurowski/LPO is an outstanding performance as is this one with Petrenko and the Liverpudlians:

Tchaikovsky's Manfred makes unusual demands on performers and listeners alike. Lots of mood changes, and a huge range of required expression, from sparkling winds in the second movement to the devotional coda in the finale. No small wonder that the work has a fairly small population of noteworthy recordings.

I prefer Haitink with the RCO, and Jarvi with Oslo.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

VonStupp

Riccardo Muti rides Manfred rough, which suits me just fine. As I've posted before, I stay for the cover art, though.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Biffo

Quote from: VonStupp on June 12, 2022, 03:16:03 AM
Riccardo Muti rides Manfred rough, which suits me just fine. As I've posted before, I stay for the cover art, though.

VS

I first heard Manfred in a live performance by Chailly and the Philharmonia Orchestra. When I went to buy the work I ended up with Muti/Philharmonia - a fine performance. Later I bought Ashkenazy/Philharmonia and that remains my favourite.

DavidW

Jurowski is my favorite.  After that Pletnev.

Maestro267

Bournemouth/Litton for me. The percussion has never packed as much punch in any of the other recordings.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on June 12, 2022, 05:33:25 AM
Jurowski is my favorite.  After that Pletnev.

Interesting!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Good calls, gents, thank you. Haitink is indeed convincing in this specific piece, and also Jurowski manages to keep the ideas flowing.

Quote from: LKB on June 11, 2022, 09:11:44 PM
Tchaikovsky's Manfred makes unusual demands on performers and listeners alike. Lots of mood changes, and a huge range of required expression, from sparkling winds in the second movement to the devotional coda in the finale. No small wonder that the work has a fairly small population of noteworthy recordings.

It's definitely the most descriptive of his symphonies, a rather clear combination of tone poem and symphony. I've been appreciating this work over the years better and better.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: LKB on June 11, 2022, 09:11:44 PM

I prefer Haitink with the RCO, and Jarvi with Oslo.

I'll have to give a listen to the Haitink. I haven't actually dug into his Tchaikovsky yet and this will give me a reason to do so. Thanks for mentioning him.

LKB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 12, 2022, 06:57:04 PM
I'll have to give a listen to the Haitink. I haven't actually dug into his Tchaikovsky yet and this will give me a reason to do so. Thanks for mentioning him.

I envy you, as you'll soon be newly exposed to the delights of Haitink's Tchaikovsky. Enjoy!  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Mirror Image

Quote from: LKB on June 12, 2022, 07:24:49 PM
I envy you, as you'll soon be newly exposed to the delights of Haitink's Tchaikovsky. Enjoy!  ;)

Thanks! I hope so. I'm generally a fan of Haitink's conducting (esp. Mahler, Bruckner, Strauss, Debussy, Shostakovich) with the bold exception of his RVW cycle, which several people here enjoy.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 12, 2022, 07:32:26 PM
Thanks! I hope so. I'm generally a fan of Haitink's conducting (esp. Mahler, Bruckner, Strauss, Debussy, Shostakovich) with the bold exception of his RVW cycle, which several people here enjoy.

The Haitink/Symphonies box is one of those collections that in its totality makes you admire all over again the sheer quality of every aspect of it;

clear-headed interpretations/stunning playing/understatedly fine analogue engineering and production.  There really isn't a dud cycle (or anything near to that) in the entire box

That said Haitink's approach to British symphonies (none in the box since that's a Phillips derived set) is much more controversial.  I don't dislike his RVW but I'm no huge fan of his Elgar or his Walton 1 which both go for grandness over dynamism.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 13, 2022, 11:03:32 PM
The Haitink/Symphonies box is one of those collections that in its totality makes you admire all over again the sheer quality of every aspect of it;

clear-headed interpretations/stunning playing/understatedly fine analogue engineering and production.  There really isn't a dud cycle (or anything near to that) in the entire box

That said Haitink's approach to British symphonies (none in the box since that's a Phillips derived set) is much more controversial.  I don't dislike his RVW but I'm no huge fan of his Elgar or his Walton 1 which both go for grandness over dynamism.

Interesting! I'll give Haitink's Manfred Symphony a listen today. Thanks for the feedback.

Mirror Image

A follow-up to my previous post:

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 06:42:20 AMNP:

Tchaikovsky
Francesca da Rimini, Op. 32
Concertgebouw
Haitink

From this Decca/Tower Records Japanese reissued set -

I decided to just get my feet wet with Haitink's Tchaikovsky. This was an excellent performance of Francesca da Rimini. While it may lack the rawness of say Markevitch, it is still thrilling in its own way. It actually makes me wish that Haitink conducted more Russian music.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 07:08:53 AM
A follow-up to my previous post:

I decided to just get my feet wet with Haitink's Tchaikovsky. This was an excellent performance of Francesca da Rimini. While it may lack the rawness of say Markevitch, it is still thrilling in its own way. It actually makes me wish that Haitink conducted more Russian music.

Just so!

SonicMan46

Hey All - starting in on my Tchaikovsky collection (about 3 dozen discs total) w/ the Symphonies, just the recordings below which have been culled considerably over the decades - just listened to a 40-min Hurwitz discussion on YouTube of 18 symphony cycles - he 'bombed' Pletnev who I enjoy, but liked Muti and Mravinsky.  Just curious what are some of the current favorites and/or new offerings?  Thanks - Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Posted the wrong Pletnev box - own the one now shown, which has 'fuller' discs and the Manfred.

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 04, 2022, 08:34:40 AM
Hey All - starting in on my Tchaikovsky collection (about 3 dozen discs total) w/ the Symphonies, just the recordings below which have been culled considerably over the decades - just listened to a 40-min Hurwitz discussion on YouTube of 18 symphony cycles - he 'bombed' Pletnev who I enjoy, but liked Muti and Mravinsky.  Just curious what are some of the current favorites and/or new offerings?  Thanks - Dave :)

Mravinsky is a clear winner, too bad he never recorded the first three.

Other complete sets I greatly enjoy:

Markevitch / LSO, Kitajenko / Guerzenich

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on July 04, 2022, 08:56:36 AM
Mravinsky is a clear winner, too bad he never recorded the first three.

Other complete sets I greatly enjoy:

Markevitch / LSO, Kitajenko / Guerzenich

Hi Andrei - thanks for your comments above - I've looked at the Markevitch in the past and now seems to be available (on Amazon USA) in different releases, not sure how many 're-masterings' may have been done and which one is the best choice of the offerings in the top row below?  Which one (or may be yet another release) do you own? Now I believe these are from the '60s - happy w/ the sound?

For anyone, I've been looking at more recent releases and some older ones today - bottom row are four that seem to come up and the reviews read are good to excellent on most - any comments for those who know these recordings?  Thanks again - just a final note, I've been listening to some of the discs from the ones shown previously in my collection and am quite happy, so the question becomes to 'add' another cycle? WOWSIE - where's the room -  :laugh:  Dave