Tchaikovsky

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

For Manfred, you might try either Chailly or Muti - I like both.  Here's an article by Andrew Clements about the piece, and he recommends Pletnev's version. 

--Bruce

scottscheule

Thanks for the hint.  I have no complaints with the Haitink thus far, but when I return to it, I'll check out one of those recordings.

Que

Quote from: Gabriel on August 07, 2007, 07:04:02 AM
When I consider Tchaikovsky's piano trio, I guess I cannot qualify him as a "decent" composer. Some of his works might just be "decent", but some of them are first rate.

Quote from: karlhenning on August 07, 2007, 07:13:53 AM
The Piano Trio and the string sextet Souvenir de Florence are magnifique.

The piano trio is a masterpiece - no kidding.

Q

Gabriel

Quote from: Que on August 07, 2007, 09:04:01 AM
The piano trio is a masterpiece - no kidding.

Q

I agree totally, Q. A masterpiece of such a value that, in my opinion, no one who hasn't listened to it knows Tchaikovsky's impressive genius. It is difficult to find more painful music in all literature than the first movement, Pezzo elegiaco. I feel it as what the first movement of the Eroica is for Beethoven: the composer totally exposed in the greatest sincerity for the sake of art.

JoshLilly

Want to hear Tchaikovsky? He, along with Anton Rubinstein, were recorded by an Edison Wax Roll:

Click here

Not only can you hear him speak, but also whistle!

Attempted English translation: "This trill could be better ... Block is good, but Edison is even better ...Who just spoke? It seems to have been Safonov ... ((whistles))"

The translation is from the liner notes in the Koch Schwann Tchaikovsky piano CD set (Hoteev at the piano).

Norbeone

Every time I listen to the 1st Symphony, I get closer and closer to believing it is just as good as the 4th, 5th and 6th. In fact, in a way, it is much more unique than any of those symphonies, IMO.

The 1st has a few weak moments, particularly the closing of the last movement and a few ackward hiccups in the more contrapuntal sections, but it is completely un-boring music and is really beautiful. Really beautiful.

:)

Bonehelm

Quote from: Norbeone on January 07, 2008, 02:09:33 PM
Every time I listen to the 1st Symphony, I get closer and closer to believing it is just as good as the 4th, 5th and 6th. In fact, in a way, it is much more unique than any of those symphonies, IMO.

The 1st has a few weak moments, particularly the closing of the last movement and a few ackward hiccups in the more contrapuntal sections, but it is completely un-boring music and is really beautiful. Really beautiful.

What's your recommended recording for the 1st? I have sets but I want a seperate 1st if you have a strong preference.  8)

Marcel

Quote from: 復活交響曲 on January 07, 2008, 04:47:22 PM
What's your recommended recording for the 1st? I have sets but I want a seperate 1st if you have a strong preference.  8)

I would recommend Smetacek (Prague Symphony Orchestra). In my opinion really beautiful playing.

Mark G. Simon

The first three symphonies are all delightfully charming and unpretentious. I feel that Tchaikovsky is being more himself in these works. The later symphonies have a feeling of effort. He's trying to write great symphonies, and of course he succeeds. But there's something refreshing about the way the first three symphonies are just about Tchaikovsky being himself.

The revision of the 2nd symphony is roughly contemporanious with the 4th, and that includes a thorough rewrite of the first movement. So there's a large chunk of fully mature Tchaikovsky in that symphony.

Brian

Yeah, the ending of the finale is a bit of a letdown after three and a half really terrific movements. I too have fallen in love with this work recently; it just keeps getting better and better (until that last coda...). And it is beautiful. Don't know that I would place it alongside the last three symphonies - but then again, the First really has a very different goal in mind.

EDIT: Didn't see Mark Simon's excellent comment. Thanks for the word on the Second, didn't know that he had revised it later.

Marcel

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2008, 08:16:11 AM
Yeah, the ending of the finale is a bit of a letdown after three and a half really terrific movements. I too have fallen in love with this work recently; it just keeps getting better and better (until that last coda...). And it is beautiful. Don't know that I would place it alongside the last three symphonies - but then again, the First really has a very different goal in mind.

Well, I like coda very much !

johnQpublic

The only problem I have with the earlier symphonies are the moments when they break out into fugual sections. It's like Tchaikovsky felt obliged to be academic instead of fantastical. The result for me is an unwarranted (and unwelcome) break in the action.

Otherwise each is filled with some terrific tunes and masterful orchestration. #2 is my personal favorite. It has extra charm.

Marcel

Quote from: johnQpublic on January 16, 2008, 08:09:32 AM
The only problem I have with the earlier symphonies are the moments when they break out into fugual sections. It's like Tchaikovsky felt obliged to be academic instead of fantastical. The result for me is an unwarranted (and unwelcome) break in the action.

True. It can be a problem, but more for conductor. I have heard very good readings where the fugual sections sound not so artificial.

Sergeant Rock

Every time I listen to the 1st Symphony, I get closer and closer to believing it is just as good as the 4th, 5th and 6th...

I've come to the same conclusion. At the old Forum we had a poll asking us to name our favorite Tchaikovsky symphony. I had no problem choosing the First (and I believe Harry did too). Very nice to see others coming on board  :)

My favorite version is from 1947: Nikolai Golovanov leading the USSR Radio Symphony Orchestra. Despite the "vintage" sound quality it gets to the heart of this work like no other I've heard.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

rubio

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 19, 2008, 07:41:28 AM
I've come to the same conclusion. At the old Forum we had a poll asking us to name our favorite Tchaikovsky symphony. I had no problem choosing the First (and I believe Harry did too). Very nice to see others coming on board  :)

My favorite version is from 1947: Nikolai Golovanov leading the USSR Radio Symphony Orchestra. Despite the "vintage" sound quality it gets to the heart of this work like no other I've heard.

Sarge

How is the rest of that set (performance- and soundwise)? I wonder, because it's not cheap, and I see that the First symphony can be found on a single Melodiya CD together with the Moscow cantata.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Marcel

Bernstein and Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony on some Young People's Concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ3GpUldYvE

Norbeone

Quote from: Marcel on March 18, 2008, 02:21:11 PM
Bernstein and Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony on some Young People's Concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ3GpUldYvE

You have to love how Berstein gets a message across. A great man and musician!

DavidW

I listened to the first and fifth symphonies a few days ago, and hearing them back to back I would never ever ever rank #1 with any of the last three, but it's still pretty good music.

karlhenning

JoshLilly

Has anyone heard here Bogatyryov's (or anyone else's, if any other exist) completion of Tchaikovsky's Symphony #7? I read that the composer found it too "impersonal", and dropped it. Did he destroy any material? He had agreed to conduct a performance of, and I'm wondering just how far along it was before he ended up using some of the material for other projects, seeing as how he'd made this agreement.

By the way, the first movement of the 1st symphony is maybe my favourite single symphonic movement by Tchaikovsky, though I personally feel the 3rd and 4th movements "drag it down". I very often listen to the 1st movement as if it were a standalone overture.