Tchaikovsky

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on May 01, 2007, 09:57:38 PM
Tschaikovsky, no less than Johann Strauss Jr., was a competent and melodious craftsman of the Waltz.

No less a waltz artist, at all, ZB!

karlhenning

The Naxos recording of the two Suites for Orchestra was a nice surprise, especially in discovering where two of the pieces in the film "Music Lovers" came from.

Oh! And which two Suites (of the Opp. 43, 53, 55 & 61)?

Harry

Yesterday I saw on DVD "Anna Karenina" with beautiful music from the 6th symphony, and some balletmusic, and then I realize why I have him as a Avatar, Suites and all. ;D
For me personally he is almost the greatest........... ::)

Brian

Quote from: karlhenning on May 02, 2007, 04:00:30 AM
Oh! And which two Suites (of the Opp. 43, 53, 55 & 61)?
A quick look at Naxos.com says it's Op. 53 which contains the Scherzo Burlesque, and that ZB's CD has 43 as well. I would take a listen, but at the moment I am being enveloped by the surprising late-romantic soundworld of Manolis Kalomiris...

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: karlhenning on May 02, 2007, 03:58:59 AM
No less a waltz artist, at all, ZB!

Yes, imagine dancing a 5/4 Waltz (1-2-3,1-2...)!!

But seriously, by the time Tschaikovsky came along the Waltz could afford to be stylized. And of course those by Richard Strauss and Ravel enter the realms of super sophisticated.

Zb 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Steve

The Naxos recording of the two Suites for Orchestra was a nice surprise, especially in discovering where two of the pieces in the film "Music Lovers" came from. The "Scherzo Burlesque" from the 2nd Suite was quoted at length in the beginning, an amazing little composition inself with the rest of them eminently danceable. Tschaikovsky, no less than Johann Strauss Jr., was a competent and melodious craftsman of the Waltz. There are beautiful exemplars in the 2nd Suite, the Piano Trio and the Serenade for Strings. The Waltz in the Pathetique is ingenious in its 5/4 rhythm and as a matter of fact IS the "Scherzo".

ZB

I need to log on and listen to these.

marvinbrown

Quote from: MahlerTitan on April 25, 2007, 04:02:29 PM
Tchaikovsky is a decent composer.

That's what I think of Mahler.   Hey to each his own.

marvin

mahlertitan

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 07, 2007, 06:50:38 AM
  That's what I think of Mahler.   Hey to each his own.

marvin

Mahler is a decent composer too.

Steve

marvinbrown

Quote from: Steve on May 07, 2007, 10:23:11 AM
Only decent?

Yes if Mozart, Wagner and Bach are impressively decent and Beethoven, Verdi and Tchaikovsky are quite decent then I'm afraid that Maher will only be decent.

marvin 

karlhenning

The Romance from Shostakovich's The Gadfly is exquisitely Tchaikovskyian.

mahlertitan

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 07, 2007, 02:51:58 PM

Yes if Mozart, Wagner and Bach are impressively decent and Beethoven, Verdi and Tchaikovsky are quite decent then I'm afraid that Maher will only be decent.

marvin 

Verdi? I am afraid that he is not even good enough to be rated, for he is not a composer of austro-german tradition.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Steve on May 07, 2007, 10:23:11 AM
Only decent?
marvinbrown tries to retaliate by saying "Mahler is decent", well, i couldn't agree more. Atleast he didn't say "hey mahler sucks! or Dittersdorf is better or something 71db-ish", so "decent" is a huge improvement, in fact, i'll take "Mahler is decent" any day.

71 dB

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 07, 2007, 03:58:20 PM
marvinbrown tries to retaliate by saying "Mahler is decent", well, i couldn't agree more. Atleast he didn't say "hey mahler sucks! or Dittersdorf is better or something 71db-ish", so "decent" is a huge improvement, in fact, i'll take "Mahler is decent" any day.

I haven't said Mahler sucks. I consider him a good symphonist but not "the greatest". Dittersdorf may be a little more interesting composer in my opinion but I regard him in very high esteem.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

mahlertitan

Quote from: 71 dB on May 07, 2007, 04:17:13 PM
I haven't said Mahler sucks. I consider him a good symphonist but not "the greatest". Dittersdorf may be a little more interesting composer in my opinion but I regard him in very high esteem.

I would gladly take "Mahler sucks" than " Dittersdorf is more interesting composer", the latter is far worse, and i believe that there are people who agree with me

Don

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 07, 2007, 04:46:41 PM
I would gladly take "Mahler sucks" than " Dittersdorf is more interesting composer", the latter is far worse, and i believe that there are people who agree with me

Why do some folks like Dittersdorf?  I find his music architecturally sound but woefully lacking in artistry.  In a contest with Mahler, I'd say Dittersdorf should restrict his activities to doing Mahler's laundry.

Brian

Now maybe we can talk about *cough* Tchaikovsky!!!

Comparing Mahler to Dittersdorf, by the way, is something I'd never have thought of.   ;D   

Steve

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 07, 2007, 03:58:20 PM

Alright, that makes some sense.

Alright that makes some sense now.
Quote from: 71 dB on May 07, 2007, 04:17:13 PM

At first, I wasn't going to say anything, but... Why was Dittersdorf more interesting than Mahler?

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 07, 2007, 03:55:12 PM
Verdi? I am afraid that he is not even good enough to be rated, for he is not a composer of austro-german tradition.

Are you referring to his orchestra output? If so, then there is, of course, very little to speak to, but if we take into consideration his numerous sacred works and operas, well, its another story entirely.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Steve on May 07, 2007, 07:36:02 PM
Are you referring to his orchestra output? If so, then there is, of course, very little to speak to, but if we take into consideration his numerous sacred works and operas, well, its another story entirely.

well, we judge the achievements of composers  base on their symphonies. Verdi was a great Opera composer, so it is only appropriate to compare him with other Opera Composers, not with symphonists.

karlhenning

I strongly prefer the original sextet to the string orchestra arrangement of Pyotr Ilyich's Souvenir de Florence.