Tchaikovsky

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abidoful

Tchaikovsky wrote quite a lot solo songs, any recommeneded recordings?

jlaurson

Quote from: abidoful on October 13, 2010, 12:55:19 PM
Tchaikovsky wrote quite a lot solo songs, any recommeneded recordings?

Yes... even though not *all* songs are by Tchaikovsky, this--with the sublime mezzo Ekaterina Semenchuk--is one of the finest albums with songs by P.I.T., the perfect primer:

Mélodies russe
Ekaterina Semenchuk
Larissa Gergieva
Harmonia Mundi

abidoful

Thanks-- I wonder if there is any good complete recordings of the songs? I seem to remember there was one at amazon but I'd like to here some impressions of it.

jlaurson

Quote from: abidoful on October 14, 2010, 05:04:18 AM
Thanks-- I wonder if there is any good complete recordings of the songs? I seem to remember there was one at amazon but I'd like to here some impressions of it.

Don't start with overkill, end with it, if necessary.

abidoful

Brian

Quote from: abidoful on October 14, 2010, 05:04:18 AM

The only songs I've found I listen to regularly are Op 6 No 6 ("the famous one") and Op 73 No 6. If you like MP3s, one thing you can do is listen to samples from the first four volumes of Naxos' series and download the ones that sound good. (By Vol 5 the soprano's voice had gotten really wobbly - it was recorded like 8 years after the others.)

abidoful

Quote from: Brian on October 14, 2010, 12:41:40 PM
The only songs I've found I listen to regularly are Op 6 No 6 ("the famous one") and Op 73 No 6. If you like MP3s, one thing you can do is listen to samples from the first four volumes of Naxos' series and download the ones that sound good. (By Vol 5 the soprano's voice had gotten really wobbly - it was recorded like 8 years after the others.)
Yeah, I'll try that.. I guess the songs are little under-appreciated, I wonder are they really that bad...?

Brian

Quote from: abidoful on October 14, 2010, 01:31:53 PM
Yeah, I'll try that.. I guess the songs are little under-appreciated, I wonder are they really that bad...?

By no means...I just don't know them too well... their quality is not surprising because Tchaikovsky was great at writing tunes and being emotional  ;D

abidoful

Quote from: Brian on October 14, 2010, 01:46:14 PM
By no means...I just don't know them too well... their quality is not surprising because Tchaikovsky was great at writing tunes and being emotional  ;D
Exactly!

abidoful

Quote from: jlaurson on October 14, 2010, 09:15:30 AM
Don't start with overkill, end with it, if necessary.
Ok, yeah--NOW I understand your point (first I didn't get what you meant by killing someone :D ). The thing is that I knew only few of his songs and I really would like to have a clear picture of him as a song-writer but I guess that means having the scores of the songs.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: abidoful on October 14, 2010, 01:31:53 PM
Well, I think there are a number of passable alternatives out there. I actually have heard very few of them as I don't listen to his songs that much (find them disappointing to be honest). Perhaps it is something I need to rectify, but here are some thoughts:
- Boris Christoff has a 5 disc set of various Russian songs. It used to be good value and he is pretty good, but since I don't know its current availablity....
- Joan Rodgers on Hyperion - got good ratings in Penguin guide (you can listen at the Hyperion site for good excerpts, and her diction isn't bad at all)
- Leiferkus - Believe he has done a 3 disc cycle. I love him, but have not heard these discs.
- Naxos series - cannot coment
- Netrebko - Great voice, has a very recent disc with songs from Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-K. I haven't heard it, but imagine it must be good (Barenboim accompanies), and like Leiferkus should have great diction.
- Olga Borodina - I have a disc of romances somewhere (I'll try to give a listen over the weekend, but I think I remember liking it quite a lot), just not sure of availability today as I bought this one a long time ago

So these are a few I would explore on top of what has already been mentioned. 

EDIT: in the above, I fogot to include Christianne Stotijn accompanied by Julius Drake in Tchaikovsky Romances, a relatively new issue on Onyx (also with good reveiws everywhere I look).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

abidoful

Thanks alot--- I guess I go thru the songs first from score by myself before deciding on a recording.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: abidoful on October 15, 2010, 03:30:45 AM
Thanks alot--- I guess I go thru the songs first from score by myself before deciding on a recording.
Youtube may be a passable resource here as well. I found at least one song from the Borodina album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SmM2v_r3Yo and here is Stotijn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew_ox74xufk. Interesting to hear the different mezzo's. I'm not sure if this is from Stotijn's Russia tour or from the album (she went on tour before she did the album as I understand). And here is Sementchuk, new to me, and mentioned in an earlier post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb7nDd4PPgI&feature=related. If you look further, you will probably find more examples by each.

Here is also the Tchaikovsky portion (first part of it anyway) of the Salzburg Festival recital with Netrebko and Barenboim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnDEs7C4nAA&feature=related.

Incidentally, there are plenty of other interesting Russian singers out there like Hvorostovsky (who can be lazy sometimes though) and Vishnevskaya (just a couple more that come to mind).

karlhenning

Well, a CD which long ago I bought in a kiosk in Moscow seems to have been somehow corrupted.

So I must, must, must find an alternative recording of Hamlet, Opus 67!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 03, 2010, 07:00:20 AM
Well, a CD which long ago I bought in a kiosk in Moscow seems to have been somehow corrupted.

There are two that I know of:
- Pentatone - Jurowski/RNO - was a Gramophone disc of the month and got consistently good reviews. But I haven't heard it.
- Chandos - Simon/LSO - Also well regarded. I own this and enjoy it.

I just haven't heard both. Wonderful music though.

Brahmsian

Karl, I recommend the 2-fer on London Records with the National Symphony Orchestra, Washington, D.C. with Dorati conducting!  Includes 8 other Tchaikovsky overtures/symphonic poems.

mc ukrneal

Is this the short (fantasy overture) or long version (overture and incidental music)? The ones I recommended were the version with incidental music.

Brahmsian

Quote from: ukrneal on November 03, 2010, 07:22:38 AM
Is this the short (fantasy overture) or long version (overture and incidental music)? The ones I recommended were the version with incidental music.

Sorry Neal, I did not realize there was a long version of Hamlet.  Great to know!!!!   :)  The one I mentioned is just the fantasy overture.

karlhenning

Neal, I appreciate the vote of confidene in that Chandos disc (it sounds almost as if you have more Telemann than Tchaikovsky ; )

Ray, thanks [again] . . . you remind me of that two-fer, which I think you mentioned earlier. I'm sure I added it to a Wish List . . . .

mc ukrneal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 03, 2010, 08:20:12 AM
Neal, I appreciate the vote of confidene in that Chandos disc (it sounds almost as if you have more Telemann than Tchaikovsky ; )

Ray, thanks [again] . . . you remind me of that two-fer, which I think you mentioned earlier. I'm sure I added it to a Wish List . . . .
Not quite that much. But then again, I have a lot of Tchaikovsky...