Tchaikovsky

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 07, 2007, 08:30:16 PM
well, we judge the achievements of composers  base on their symphonies.

Oh boy  ::)

karlhenning

No, Luke, I didn't want to go there, either  8)

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on May 08, 2007, 03:52:33 AM
I strongly prefer the original sextet to the string orchestra arrangement of Pyotr Ilyich's Souvenir de Florence.

Is the counterpoint clearer maybe?

Do you have the same opinion for Schoenberg's  Verklärte Nacht ?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on May 08, 2007, 05:05:13 AM
Is the counterpoint clearer maybe?

Do you have the same opinion for Schoenberg's  Verklärte Nacht ?

Maybe I just like the lighter tread of the sextet in the Tchaikovsky.

Not sure that I prefer either form of the Schoenberg to the other . . . .

Israfel the Black

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 07, 2007, 08:30:16 PM
well, we judge the achievements of composers  base on their symphonies. Verdi was a great Opera composer, so it is only appropriate to compare him with other Opera Composers, not with symphonists.

Chopin achieved nothing then.  :(

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Don on May 07, 2007, 04:56:31 PM
Why do some folks like Dittersdorf?  I find his music architecturally sound but woefully lacking in artistry.  In a contest with Mahler, I'd say Dittersdorf should restrict his activities to doing Mahler's laundry.

Bravo Don ! At least someone with some sanity here.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Israfel the Black on May 08, 2007, 01:11:19 PM
Chopin achieved nothing then.  :(
that's not what i meant, we compare opera composers with opera composers, Verdi was a great "Opera Composer", same with instrumental composers, Chopin was a great "Piano Composer".

scottscheule

I've been listening to the Haitink symphony cycle (which also has, of course, some of the tone poems).

The first three symphonies were all new to me, and I'm growing to love them, if not as much as the latter three.  Eminently tuneful, attractively scored, quite colorful, lacking the depth of the final 4-6, but always fun.

Four, however, remains my favorite, as close as music gets to perfection.

I put Tchaikovsky firmly in the realm of the greats--his occasional problems with form notwithstanding.

karlhenning

Splendid, Scott!

What tone-poems are furnished as "filler"?

scottscheule

Quote from: karlhenning on August 06, 2007, 10:30:35 AM
Splendid, Scott!

What tone-poems are furnished as "filler"?

Looking them over now, I see none are officially called tone poems.  The old R&J, of course, along with Francesa da Rimini and the Storm (both new pieces to me), and all the guilty pleasures: the Slavonic March, the Capriccio Italien, and the 1812 Overture.

The set's rounded off with the Manfred Symphony--not sure what to think of it as of yet.  A bit messy and bloated is my current take.

karlhenning

Oh, I think Francesca qualifies as a tone-poem (a one-movement symphonic fantasia by any other name . . . .) :-)

Is The Storm the 1864 overture published posthumously as Opus 76?  I should go back and listen to that again . . . .

Don't give up on Manfred! It's better than, perhaps, Haitink sets it forth . . . .

scottscheule

Quote from: karlhenning on August 06, 2007, 10:48:50 AM
Oh, I think Francesca qualifies as a tone-poem (a one-movement symphonic fantasia by any other name . . . .) :-)

Is The Storm the 1864 overture published posthumously as Opus 76?  I should go back and listen to that again . . . .

Don't give up on Manfred! It's better than, perhaps, Haitink sets it forth . . . .

Yes, that's the Storm.  Not much to say about it. 

And because I value your opinion (and Piotr), I will have patience with Manfred.

Apropos of nothing, one thing I find characteristic of Tchaikovsky is an excellent ability to have multiple, distinct ideas occuring simultaneously.  The most ready example is the Waltz of the Flowers, during one of the occurences of the long horizontal theme, the woodwinds are constantly piercing it with descending and ascending chromatic scales.  Now surely other composers do this, but Tchaikovsky certainly has a talent for keeping the lines (long lovely melody paired with scales running up and down) quite different from one another, and yet weaving them together as a whole.  Something similar goes on in the movement II of the Fourth.  It's a delightful effect.

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on August 06, 2007, 10:48:50 AM

The Storm has some nice stuff, especially in the middle, but falls short of the greatness of Francesca, and the absolute greatest performance of this work is by Stokowski in the early 1970's: it is atomic!!!

And I have always thought Manfred to be Tchaikovsky's greatest symphony, ever since I heard a truncated version in the 1950's by Toscanini and the NBC Orchestra. 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

scottscheule

Rimini is impressive.  I'm generally suspicious of such long works, but it coheres well.

mahlertitan

goodness! what a misunderstanding!

well, we judge the achievements of Symphonists base on their symphonies. Verdi was a great Opera composer, so it is only appropriate to compare him with other Opera Composers, not with symphonists.

david johnson

ballets, guys.  i think he was a ballet composer who could write other stuff.  :)

dj

Harry

Tchaikovsky is the most versatile composer around.
Apart from his beautiful opera's, I love most fervently what he wrote.
Number one for me.
His gorgeous ballet music is life enhancing. :)

Gabriel

When I consider Tchaikovsky's piano trio, I guess I cannot qualify him as a "decent" composer. Some of his works might just be "decent", but some of them are first rate.

karlhenning

Quote from: Gabriel on August 07, 2007, 07:04:02 AM
When I consider Tchaikovsky's piano trio, I guess I cannot qualify him as a "decent" composer. Some of his works might just be "decent", but some of them are first rate.

The Piano Trio and the string sextet Souvenir de Florence are magnifique.

scottscheule

Quote from: karlhenning on August 07, 2007, 07:13:53 AM
The Piano Trio and the string sextet Souvenir de Florence are magnifique.

And unforgiveably, I know neither.  The only piece of chamber music I'm familiar with is the first string quartet (lovely little thing).

Went over Manfred again last night.  Takes a lot of concentration--but the first movement is quite enjoyable.