Are You Obsessed with Classical Music?

Started by Florestan, June 04, 2024, 01:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: LKB on June 08, 2024, 01:23:25 AMI've endured significant tinnitus in my left ear for over a decade, because of the thoughtless act of a construction contractor at Apple headquarters.

While at work, l noticed a young man carrying an armload of steel cubicle framing over to an area where he and his colleagues were staging materials to be used in the future.

He suddenly stopped about fifteen or twenty feet from my location, and dropped his armload of metal onto the concrete floor.

My left ear immediately started ringing, and the ringing has never changed or faded since that moment.

That was in 2013...

I will check with a friend, who is a doctor and has some alternative treatments: perhaps you will not have tried one of his remedies.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on June 08, 2024, 01:23:25 AMI've endured significant tinnitus in my left ear for over a decade, because of the thoughtless act of a construction contractor at Apple headquarters.

While at work, l noticed a young man carrying an armload of steel cubicle framing over to an area where he and his colleagues were staging materials to be used in the future.

He suddenly stopped about fifteen or twenty feet from my location, and dropped his armload of metal onto the concrete floor.

My left ear immediately started ringing, and the ringing has never changed or faded since that moment.

That was in 2013...
Ouch!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

I think obsessed is perhaps the wrong adjective in my case, but classical music is without question the single most important musical phenomenon in my life. It's curious also to look back on one's own journey with music in general. I've been listening to music seriously since my early teens (I'm now in my early 40s) and it's always fascinating to see what music sticks and what doesn't. I'm really not sure I would be talking about classical music today if it wasn't for some encouraging words from my late grandfather. Even though we didn't share much in common, I do believe he was most important factor in getting the ball rolling. Of course, the internet and loads of research also helped me. But all of this wouldn't have mattered if I didn't have the interest and natural curiosity to pursue this music.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2024, 08:00:48 AMI think obsessed is perhaps the wrong adjective in my case, but classical music is without question the single most important musical phenomenon in my life. It's curious also to look back on one's own his with music in general. I've been listening to music seriously since my early teens (I'm now in my early 40s) and it's always fascinating to see what music sticks and what doesn't. I'm really not sure I would be talking about classical music today if it wasn't for some encouraging words from my late grandfather. Even though we didn't share much in common, I do believe he was most important factor in getting the ball rolling. Of course, the internet and loads of research also helped me. But all of this wouldn't have mattered if I didn't have the interest and natural curiosity to pursue this music.
That's nice that you had a classical music connection with your grandfather. Makes for a lifetime of good memories. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 09, 2024, 08:11:35 AMThat's nice that you had a classical music connection with your grandfather. Makes for a lifetime of good memories.

Unfortunately, Karl, it's really the only thing I can look back on with fondness when it comes to him. Without diving too much into it, he really was someone I didn't enjoy spending time with, but that's all I can say because he's longer amongst us.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

LKB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2024, 07:07:13 PMUnfortunately, Karl, it's really the only thing I can look back on with fondness when it comes to him. Without diving too much into it, he really was someone I didn't enjoy spending time with, but that's all I can say because he's longer amongst us.

While I can understand your feelings, I would also point out there have been plenty of people throughout history who never deserved such consideration, whether living or dead.

An SOB is an SOB, whether above the ground or in it.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

steve ridgway

I want to get out of the buying obsession habit now and focus on getting more familiar with my classical collection. I don't know it anything like as well as my rock music collection from the days when I built it up slowly and listened to albums repeatedly until I knew them well. I feel I've now got a reasonable selection of 20th century music and a little 19th century to provide a bit of historical background.

Mirror Image

Quote from: LKB on June 10, 2024, 01:23:55 AMWhile I can understand your feelings, I would also point out there have been plenty of people throughout history who never deserved such consideration, whether living or dead.

An SOB is an SOB, whether above the ground or in it.

Well, this is true. My grandfather certainly wasn't an SOB that's for sure, but his particular attitude prevented me from wanting to actually get to know him. Anyway, I'll just leave it at that.

Herman

I used to purchase CDs a lot around the turn of the century, just because there were so many. Eventually I noticed I only listened to a limited number of 'em (also, it got really hard to locate particular CDs in the mass of identical looking items).

So the material clutter could be described as obsessive. I am, however, not obsessed by music. I like music, usually in the form of listening to one piece a couple of days, or weeks, and then it's yet another piece. It doesn't keep me from doing my things  -  which is the definition of obsession ("sit in the way").

I have been listening to serious classical music since 1975.

LKB

Quote from: nethanpaul86 on June 26, 2024, 08:33:19 PMThis intense focus on classical music can sometimes seem unhealthy, making us question whether we're missing out on a more balanced life. Those who see classical music as a mere diversion might indeed lead richer, more varied lives. While our obsession provides deep fulfillment, it can also narrow our experiences and interactions. It's worth considering if a more moderate approach, where classical music is a significant yet not all-consuming part of life, might offer a healthier, more well-rounded existence.

A considered, thoughtful and logical approach, which will undoubtedly resonate with others here.

But for me... obsession please!  >:D
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Henk

Quote from: Iota on June 05, 2024, 04:12:23 AMFwiw, this doesn't describe me at all.
I care very much about music, classical most of all, and it regularly transports me to temporary state I might describe as a kind of ecstasy. I almost never listen to it while doing something else, it diminishes the experience considerably for me.
When I'm not listening, which is most of the time, I think about it, but not remotely close to most of the time. I am though permanently in a state of gratitude that it exists, and a state of astonishment at the gift that so many have for composing and playing it. That never goes away even when I'm not in the mood for listening.

This is such a simple and cool philosophy. I keep resonating to it.
It's a nightmare to me on the contrary when the enthousiasm for music fades away.
I should move towards your philosophy and away from the nightmare.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Henk on June 30, 2024, 12:06:54 PMThis is such a simple and cool philosophy. I keep resonating to it.
It's a nightmare to me on the contrary when the enthousiasm for music fades away.
I should move towards your philosophy and away from the nightmare.
By all means, shun the nightmare.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Henk

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 30, 2024, 12:14:01 PMBy all means, shun the nightmare.

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 30, 2024, 12:14:01 PMBy all means, shun the nightmare.

The nightmare also keeps me alert in some way. The enthousiasm doesn't 'just' fade away perceived as just a 'pity' (that would be the real nightmare).

Cato

Quote from: Henk on June 05, 2024, 11:07:18 AMI doubt that. It's probably different.

I have often a more or less shallow listening experience and sometimes I have deep, captivating ones.

That a performer is closer to the music, doesn't mean he better grasps it. He's busy performing, he's a medium in order for us to fully appreciate the music, which may happen or happen not. Think of it as a cooperation.

Listening to music is not just 'passive'.

Especially with the score in hand!  😇

Henk

Quote from: Henk on June 30, 2024, 12:25:25 PMThe nightmare also keeps me alert in some way. The enthousiasm doesn't 'just' fade away perceived as just a 'pity' (that would be the real nightmare).

I want to discover new music to listen to as long as I live and in preferably all the genres I like. That's my life insurance.
Sometimes I struggle with this. I don't like the thought that the search for music is final and over.
Consider this: If musical production would stop tomorrow, would man will able to cope with it? Could we be happy with all the music that has been produced and recorded?

Cato

Quote from: Henk on June 30, 2024, 12:43:49 PMI want to discover new music to listen to as long as I live and in preferably all the genres I like. That's my life insurance.

Sometimes I struggle with this. I don't like the thought that the search for music is final and over.

Consider this: If musical production would stop tomorrow, would man will able to cope with it? Could we be happy with all the music that has been produced and recorded?

True!

This is one reason for wanting our resident composers (e.g. Karl Henning, Luke Ottevanger, et al.) to continue their creative journeys.

Mathematicians have variously calculated that musical possibilities are infinite or practically infinite....and that is without considering microtonal scales of 19 or 24 or more notes!

In recent weeks I have discovered Nikolai Obukhov and am very enthused by everything, as well as appalled (again!) by the neglect surrounding his music.

And I am considering - S  L  O  W  L  Y - my own return to composing, at least in restoring more of the works, which I destroyed over 30 years ago, i.e. works now approaching 60 years of age! New compositions still come to me, sometimes in a flash (i.e. the musical ideas and their future form and development are quite clear) and I wonder, given my status as a septuagenarian, how to use my time the best.

For I am also constantly getting ideas for stories (currently I am writing a large novel about people on the Danubian frontier of Rome c. A.D. 430-460 ), and we know about serving two masters!  😇

DavidW

Quote from: Cato on June 30, 2024, 12:26:24 PMEspecially with the score in hand!  😇

Especially not when air conducting!! :D

Henk

Quote from: Cato on June 30, 2024, 01:10:11 PMTrue!

This is one reason for wanting our resident composers (e.g. Karl Henning, Luke Ottevanger, et al.) to continue their creative journeys.

Mathematicians have variously calculated that musical possibilities are infinite or practically infinite....and that is without considering microtonal scales of 19 or 24 or more notes!

In recent weeks I have discovered Nikolai Obukhov and am very enthused by everything, as well as appalled (again!) by the neglect surrounding his music.

And I am considering - S  L  O  W  L  Y - my own return to composing, at least in restoring more of the works, which I destroyed over 30 years ago, i.e. works now approaching 60 years of age! New compositions still come to me, sometimes in a flash (i.e. the musical ideas and their future form and development are quite clear) and I wonder, given my status as a septuagenarian, how to use my time the best.

For I am also constantly getting ideas for stories (currently I am writing a large novel about people on the Danubian frontier of Rome c. A.D. 430-460 ), and we know about serving two masters!  😇

Enjoy creating. Do you upload stuff here?

Cato

Quote from: Henk on June 30, 2024, 01:33:38 PMEnjoy creating. Do you upload stuff here?

Yes, but it is buried somewhere in the archives.

No time right now, but I can send you something via the Messages later.

Henk

Quote from: Cato on June 30, 2024, 02:09:11 PMYes, but it is buried somewhere in the archives.

No time right now, but I can send you something via the Messages later.

Ok. I appreciate.