Joe Zawinul RIP

Started by bwv 1080, September 11, 2007, 04:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwv 1080

VIENNA, Austria - Jazz legend Joe Zawinul, who soared to fame as one of the creators of jazz fusion and performed and recorded with Miles Davis, died early Tuesday, a hospital official said. He was 75.
ADVERTISEMENT

Zawinul had been hospitalized since last month. A spokeswoman for Vienna's Wilhelmina Clinic confirmed his death without giving details.

Zawinul won widespread acclaim for his keyboard work on chart-topping Davis albums such as "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew," and was a leading force behind the so-called "Electric Jazz" movement.

In 1970, Zawinul founded the band Weather Report and produced a series of albums including "Heavy Weather," "Black Market" and "I Sing the Body Electric." After that band's breakup, he founded the Zawinul Syndicate in 1987.

Zawinul is credited with bringing the electric piano and synthesizer into the jazz mainstream.

This past spring, he toured Europe to mark the 20th anniversary of the Zawinul Syndicate. He sought medical attention when the tour ended, the Viennese Hospital Association said in a statement last month.

johnQpublic

He wrote a classic in the tune "Birdland".

Robert

Do not forget MERCY MERCY MERCY.....

Florestan

RIP and may God have mercy on his soul.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

karlhenning

Quote from: johnQpublic on September 11, 2007, 05:01:45 AM
He wrote a classic in the tune "Birdland".

And it's not Dittersdorf!  :)

BachQ

Solitary Wanderer

I was a huge Weather Report fan back in the early '90s. I had all their stuff on LP and those first 5 or 6 albums were just stunning. I always loved Zawinul's extremely minimilist synth tones.

His music will live on :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

San Antone

Joe Zawinul's Erdzeit - 2008 - Austrian documentary (English subtitles)

Kristjan Järvi is featured in this documentary since his Absolute ensemble did a concert of orchestrated improvisations by Zawinul, Absolute Zawinul.  Järvi believes that Zawinul can stand next to Haydn, Beethoven, etc. because of the quality of his composing via improvisation.

This film was made shortly before Zawinul's death.