Henk Badings Pointers

Started by John Copeland, March 20, 2010, 10:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

André

I have the first 2 CPO discs (symph 4-5, 3, 10, 14) and a different version of symph no 2. A very fine composer indeed.

SymphonicAddict

Glad to see more curious members have enjoyed this composer. A very 'cerebral' composer not devoid of stirring appealing ideas either.

SymphonicAddict

For future connoisseurs it will also be a fruitful and promising discovery!

Daverz

#23
I think Johann Nepomuk David (1895-1977) may also appeal to fans of Badings and Andriessen.  There have been 2 discs of his symphonies on CPO so far:

[asin]B00CNBNDZ8[/asin]
[asin]B079PC9JK5[/asin]

TD: Listened to the Badings disc with Symphonies 3, 10 & 14.  Did not enjoy this one very much.


Roy Bland


Symphonic Addict

Music is life, and like it, inextinguishable.

I love the vast surface of silence; and it is my chief delight to break it.

Carl Nielsen

Irons

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 16, 2019, 02:39:28 PM
Glad to see more curious members have enjoyed this composer. A very 'cerebral' composer not devoid of stirring appealing ideas either.



His Octet is played beautifully by the famous Vienna Octet. Badings is special and this work is the proof. A magical moment with a new theme, I think the final movement - but need to check, which completely takes the listener by surprise with its beauty and lifts the work from very good to great.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on December 03, 2019, 11:24:35 PM


His Octet is played beautifully by the famous Vienna Octet. Badings is special and this work is the proof. A magical moment with a new theme, I think the final movement - but need to check, which completely takes the listener by surprise with its beauty and lifts the work from very good to great.

Enticing to say the least. Thanks for mentioning it, but seems that there is no any recording on CD.
Music is life, and like it, inextinguishable.

I love the vast surface of silence; and it is my chief delight to break it.

Carl Nielsen

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 04, 2019, 12:19:00 PM
Enticing to say the least. Thanks for mentioning it, but seems that there is no any recording on CD.

Really! That is poor from Decca - or whoever is in control of the back catalogue these days - Badings is not a household name but The Vienna Octet are. Nothing for it, you will have to invest in a turntable. ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Ratliff


Irons

Quote from: Ratliff on December 05, 2019, 04:14:40 PM
I have it.



We have the Aussies to thank for that, then.

Thanks for bringing it to light.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on December 06, 2019, 12:04:09 AM
We have the Aussies to thank for that, then.

Thanks for bringing it to light.

+1

He saved me a lot of money.  ;D
Music is life, and like it, inextinguishable.

I love the vast surface of silence; and it is my chief delight to break it.

Carl Nielsen

Symphonic Addict



The Symphony No. 9 for strings is an incredible work and a worthy addition to the canon. A piece full of rhythm and striking sonorities. I wish it were longer (lasting 18 min. long).
Music is life, and like it, inextinguishable.

I love the vast surface of silence; and it is my chief delight to break it.

Carl Nielsen

vers la flamme

I saw a Henk Badings CD at a bookstore the other day, it was Vol. 15 of a survey of his complete works on the Bridge label. I was impressed that Badings had written enough music to fill at least 15 discs.

Anyway, I'm curious now. Where to start? Should I go back and get that CD?

Roy Bland

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 23, 2022, 03:15:29 AM
I saw a Henk Badings CD at a bookstore the other day, it was Vol. 15 of a survey of his complete works on the Bridge label. I was impressed that Badings had written enough music to fill at least 15 discs.

Anyway, I'm curious now. Where to start? Should I go back and get that CD?
IMHO was CPO that should record entire orchestral works and they haven't done it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 23, 2022, 03:15:29 AM
I saw a Henk Badings CD at a bookstore the other day, it was Vol. 15 of a survey of his complete works on the Bridge label. I was impressed that Badings had written enough music to fill at least 15 discs.

Anyway, I'm curious now. Where to start? Should I go back and get that CD?

Are you sure it's the Bridge label? I can't find any site that has any of these CDs for sale. Also, Bridge Records' own website doesn't mention anything about this series either.
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

My "Top 5" Favorite Composers: Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius and Bartók


vers la flamme

#36
Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2022, 06:43:24 AM
Are you sure it's the Bridge label? I can't find any site that has any of these CDs for sale. Also, Bridge Records' own website doesn't mention anything about this series either.

Could have sworn it was, but apparently not. I'll go back and figure it out one of these days, because now I'm curious too.

Edit: I figured it out. It was not Henk Badings at all, but Poul Ruders. Not sure how I mixed them up.