The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Gerald Finzi

(1/55) > >>

tjguitar:
I'm not very familiar with this composer, i was thinking about buying this recent Chandos-issued disc with the violin and cello concerto's.  Does anyone have it?

Harry:
Well that recording is very good, but you also could look at some Naxos recordings, they had rave reviews, and are indeed marvelous.
I like his friendly and melodious music, and would love to have more, so recommendations are always welcome. :)

71 dB:

--- Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2007, 09:47:57 PM ---Well that recording is very good, but you also could look at some Naxos recordings, they had rave reviews, and are indeed marvelous.
I like his friendly and melodious music, and would love to have more, so recommendations are always welcome. :)

--- End quote ---

I have four good Finzi discs, all Naxos:
  Cello Concerto etc. (8.555766)
  Clarinet Concerto etc. (8.553566)
  Lo, the Full, Final Sacrifice etc. (8.555792)
  Intimations of Immortality etc. (8.557863)Finzi's music is indeed very friendly.

vandermolen:
I think that the Lyrita CD of short orchestral works is the best Finzi CD I know (conducted by Boult)

knight66:
Finzi seems to write in elevated rhapsody. He was especially sensitive in his word setting and can portray a very English pastoral Ecstasy.

Two works I suggest are...

Dies Natalis

A beautiful reading by the tenor Wilfred Brown. The other piece by RVW is also excellent and beautifully performed.

Secondly, on Lyrita and only just issued on the first time on CD, a classic performance of Intimations of Immortality. This is another piece involving a tenor, but with choral sections for this work. Here another very English Tenor Ian Partridge gives as good a performance as can be imagined.
As with the other disc, the companion piece on the disc is both rare and beautiful.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version