Author Topic: Gerald Finzi  (Read 41100 times)

Offline calyptorhynchus

Re: Gerald Finzi
« Reply #220 on: July 04, 2020, 11:17:04 PM »
I find that of the three or four recordings I have of The Fall of the Leaf I think the Hickox one is the best.

I have playlist of Finzi's Four Seasons which some might like to listen to. It comprises spring (Prelude for Strings), summer (Romance for String Orchestra), autumn (Fall of the Leaf) and winter/new year (Nocturne). I know these pieces are in different keys and some are for strings whilst others are for full orchestra, but it makes a kind of sense.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2020, 10:40:20 AM »
I find that of the three or four recordings I have of The Fall of the Leaf I think the Hickox one is the best.

I have playlist of Finzi's Four Seasons which some might like to listen to. It comprises spring (Prelude for Strings), summer (Romance for String Orchestra), autumn (Fall of the Leaf) and winter/new year (Nocturne). I know these pieces are in different keys and some are for strings whilst others are for full orchestra, but it makes a kind of sense.

Out of curiosity, how did you arrive at idea that the Prelude for Strings represents spring while the Romance for Strings represents summer?
Don’t forget your three A’s, folks: Arnie, Alban and Anton!

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2020, 01:58:28 PM »
In the early 20s Finzi completed an orchestral suite called The Bud, the Blossom and the Berry. The Prelude for strings is crafted out of the material for The Bud, the Fall of the Leaf from the material for the Berry. So much is confirmed by Banfield.
I have always had it in my head that the Romance comes from the material for the Blossom. I can’t find confirmation of this, but it sounds warmer than the Prelude anyway.  :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #223 on: July 05, 2020, 02:01:40 PM »
In the early 20s Finzi completed an orchestral suite called The Bud, the Blossom and the Berry. The Prelude for strings is crafted out of the material for The Bud, the Fall of the Leaf from the material for the Berry. So much is confirmed by Banfield.
I have always had it in my head that the Romance comes from the material for the Blossom. I can’t find confirmation of this, but it sounds warmer than the Prelude anyway.  :)

Hmm..interesting take. I might have to do a listen of the Finzi ‘season works’ and try to relay my thoughts here.
Don’t forget your three A’s, folks: Arnie, Alban and Anton!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #224 on: September 28, 2020, 11:31:25 AM »
Michael Collins' very straightforward explanation for why he has re-recorded the Finzi Clarinet Concerto on a new BIS album:

"I did it with the BBC Symphony Orchestra and I am really happy with it…but to get down to brass tacks the Finzi is a very popular piece with Classic FM, and they aren’t allowed to play my recording because it’s with a BBC orchestra, which I thought was a shame! My Mozart recording with the Swedish Chamber Orchestra is on Classic FM virtually every day, and the Finzi is just as popular, so I decided to do another version with my old orchestra that will actually get some air-time!"
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/3501--interview-michael-collins-on-his-dual-career

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2020, 07:00:09 PM »
Michael Collins' very straightforward explanation for why he has re-recorded the Finzi Clarinet Concerto on a new BIS album:

"I did it with the BBC Symphony Orchestra and I am really happy with it…but to get down to brass tacks the Finzi is a very popular piece with Classic FM, and they aren’t allowed to play my recording because it’s with a BBC orchestra, which I thought was a shame! My Mozart recording with the Swedish Chamber Orchestra is on Classic FM virtually every day, and the Finzi is just as popular, so I decided to do another version with my old orchestra that will actually get some air-time!"
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/3501--interview-michael-collins-on-his-dual-career
Shows the problem with these “popular” classical channels. Even though the Finzi  and the Mozart cl concs are wonderful works you shouldn’t feature them every day, especially when there is so much other fine music to explore.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2020, 02:27:03 PM »
Interlude for Oboe and String Quartet.

Typical of self-effacing Finzi to title such a fine work as 'Interlude'. I am wary of English chamber music with oboe as it has become at times a cliché, Finzi is too good a composer for that to occur. Pastoral connotations are few as this is mainly music of the human condition. Though only eleven and a half minutes it packs quite a few emotions, sad and at times angry, others wistful. A theme from Finzi's masterpiece Dies Natalis is easily recognisable in the middle section. I was taken in by the title thinking Interlude would be slight - it's not.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2020, 02:17:47 AM »
Shows the problem with these “popular” classical channels. Even though the Finzi  and the Mozart cl concs are wonderful works you shouldn’t feature them every day, especially when there is so much other fine music to explore.
Good point.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2020, 02:18:35 AM »
Interlude for Oboe and String Quartet.

Typical of self-effacing Finzi to title such a fine work as 'Interlude'. I am wary of English chamber music with oboe as it has become at times a cliché, Finzi is too good a composer for that to occur. Pastoral connotations are few as this is mainly music of the human condition. Though only eleven and a half minutes it packs quite a few emotions, sad and at times angry, others wistful. A theme from Finzi's masterpiece Dies Natalis is easily recognisable in the middle section. I was taken in by the title thinking Interlude would be slight - it's not.
What are the other works like Lol?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Oates

« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2020, 04:54:19 AM »
What are the other works like Lol?

An ambitious coupling I'd say. I've only heard Michael Berkeley's orchestral works on Chandos - I don't dislike them but he tends towards the atonal approach.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #230 on: November 16, 2020, 08:48:09 AM »
An ambitious coupling I'd say. I've only heard Michael Berkeley's orchestral works on Chandos - I don't dislike them but he tends towards the atonal approach.

If you mean by ambitious, unsuitable, I very much agree. To be fair to Michael Berkeley he has suffered a disservice by Hyperion for his String Quartet being programmed following the Finzi on side one of this LP. Hyperion repeat the error on the reverse with two Berkeley works - one for unaccompanied oboe - and closing with Finzi. Coupling these two composers together does neither any favours. Shame as Interlude is top drawer Finzi.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.