Gerald Finzi

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 02:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Guido on November 16, 2007, 04:37:30 PM
Hi. Yes that's very interesting isn't it - as I said before, especially in Lo, the Full Final Sacrifice the organ writing is just superb.

It's one of a large number of pieces which I enjoy much better performing, than I do listening to a recording.

drogulus

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2007, 10:33:10 AM
It's one of a large number of pieces which I enjoy much better performing, than I do listening to a recording.

I've been begging the Spectrum Singers* to do this one for years. They've sung several Finzi works beautifully, but I've never heard my favorite performed.

*A Boston choral group whose concerts I've attended for the last dozen years or so.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Guido

Quote from: karlhenning on November 19, 2007, 10:33:10 AM
That's great that you are performing it! I find most Romantic symphonies more enjoyable to play than to listen to.

QuoteI've been begging the Spectrum Singers* to do this one for years. They've sung several Finzi works beautifully, but I've never heard my favorite performed.

Keep on pushing! Anyone who has heard the piece would surely jump at the chance to perform it!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Guido

Good news! The RPO are playing Finzi's cello concerto with Robert Cohen as soloist on the 1st of April 2008 (I hope that its not a joke). Finzi's greatest work, and a truly great unknown masterpiece. Robert Cohen is an extremely talented musician.

I am very excited.
Geologist.

vandermolen

This is a good time to be playing "In Terra Pax": a great work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: vandermolen on December 24, 2007, 12:19:33 AM

My all time favourite Christmas piece.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

head-case

Just finished listening to my favorite Finzi recording, the Clarinet Concerti, performed by Thea King with the Philharmonia (conducted by Alun Francis).  It is a hyperion recording, now available as a "helios."  Beautiful music, I love the contrast between the string orchestra's dissonant, contrapuntal outbursts and the clarinet's poignant melodies in the first movement.  The theme from the finale could have come from the pen of Mozart.  The performance is brilliant, particularly the string orchestra.

drogulus

I saw the Spectrum Singers, a Boston choral group, perform this in 2006, and I enjoyed it more than I did the recording on the Decca Finzi Collection disc.

I was listening to the Eclogue a few days ago and once again I wonder how this seemingly simple work performs its magic. I try to hum the tunes and get lost with the intervals that jump all over the place. The music gets in my head but I can't sort it out, so I keep coming back. Initially I had a rather dismissive attitude towards it, which colored my view of Finzi as a composer. My views have undergone quite a reversal over the past decade or so.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: drogulus on September 13, 2008, 07:47:09 AM
     I saw the Spectrum Singers, a Boston choral group, perform this in 2006, and I enjoyed it more than I did the recording on the Decca Finzi Collection disc.

I actually prefer an early Decca recording of the work, which is, as far as I'm aware, no longer available. It was conducted by Richard Hickox and features John Shirley-Quirk and Norma Burrowes as soloists.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Guido

Has anyone visited the Finzi house at Ashmansworth? I would really love to do this, and know that a few people have - is it an open house, or is it just the standard residence of someone now? Anyone here done it?
Geologist.

knight66

Guido, I have had a look at this site....

http://www.geraldfinzi.org/?page=index.html

I have not been thorough, but cannot immedately see mention of Ashmansworth. From that I assume the house is not open to the public. However, you could contact the trust, several of the Finzi family are members and would be able to let you know definatively.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Guido

Weeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! I've just found out that my own college orchestra is putting on Finzi's Intimations of Immortality!!! I am absolutely beside myself with excitement!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

One of his finest and most moving works, it's not quite the masterpiece that say the contemporaneous Hymnus Paradisi by Howells is (they were premiered at the same Three Choirs festival, though the Howells was written earlier), it is every bit as beautiful as that work, and contains some of the most perfect choral writing ever penned by an Englishman.

I. Cannot. Wait.

!
Geologist.

Guido

Aside from this, Finzi would have absolutely loved it being put on by a group of talented and enthusiastic young amateurs... I hope everyone plays and sings the hell out of it!
Geologist.

bhodges

Quote from: Guido on October 14, 2009, 02:12:24 PM
Weeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! I've just found out that my own college orchestra is putting on Finzi's Intimations of Immortality!!! I am absolutely beside myself with excitement!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

One of his finest and most moving works, it's not quite the masterpiece that say the contemporaneous Hymnus Paradisi by Howells is (they were premiered at the same Three Choirs festival, though the Howells was written earlier), it is every bit as beautiful as that work, and contains some of the most perfect choral writing ever penned by an Englishman.

I. Cannot. Wait.

!

No wonder you are excited!  I have never heard it live, and don't recall ever seeing it on a program here in NYC.  Do report back.

--Bruce

secondwind

What part of the world will be graced with this performance, Guido?  (I suppose driving distance from the Washington, D.C. area would be too much to hope. . . )

Guido

If you have an amphibious all terrain vehicle and a couple of weeks you might be able to drive over here to Cambridge, England.  ;D
Geologist.

secondwind

Sigh.  New York is about my limit. :'(

Guido

Quote from: Guido on April 19, 2007, 08:20:43 AM
The 'classic' performance of Dies Natalis mentioned above doesn't convince me. Of the five version I have heard, Langridge come out as clear favourite for me, because of the drama he projects, range of moods, unmannered approach (some of the others are cloying in this respect), and sheer beauty. He's not as good in Intimations of Immortality, where he tends to get a bit throaty, and is overpowered with muddy accoustics and the huge choir. The Naxos recording of Intimations is perfection though...

Philip Langridge just died so I listened to his version of Dies Natalis again - it still has the same hushed intensity and beauty that I remember. Truly a desert island disc.
Geologist.

Christo

It is. I only heard the piece for the first time this winter, thanks to Naxos' annual Christmas release, this time a fine collection with among them Finzi's In Terra Pax, the hightlight of the CD imo.

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on March 10, 2010, 01:33:32 AM
It is. I only heard the piece for the first time this winter, thanks to Naxos' annual Christmas release, this time a fine collection with among them Finzi's In Terra Pax, the hightlight of the CD imo.

Yes, I can't recommend Finzi's 'In Terra Pax' strongly enough - a lovely life-enhancing work and very moving in a characteristically understated way.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).