Favourite recordings of Haydn Symphony 68

Started by Mandryka, June 30, 2024, 09:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

In 2011 ( :o  ) I started this thread on the symphony, which is one of my favourites

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical.recordings/c/oqRePXJSO-Q/m/V5s3tWLDFesJ

It just came up in conversation and, revisiting it for the first time in a very long time (though maybe not as long as 12 years) I like it just as much. There must be some exciting new performances now though. Haydn mavens, to the rescue please.

If you don't remember which one it is, or maybe you've just overlooked it in the past,  just listen to the magical cantabile movement

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

I have an absolutely wonderful 2014 disc of Haydn 57, 67, and 68 - all delicious, noteworthy symphonies with interesting features - played with stylish HIPness by the Philharmonia Baroque under Nicholas McGegan.

As a matter of fact, was just looking at the CD yesterday thinking about how it's time to listen again. But I must say...the adagio from 67 steals the spotlight!

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on June 30, 2024, 09:52:41 AMI have an absolutely wonderful 2014 disc of Haydn 57, 67, and 68 - all delicious, noteworthy symphonies with interesting features - played with stylish HIPness by the Philharmonia Baroque under Nicholas McGegan.

As a matter of fact, was just looking at the CD yesterday thinking about how it's time to listen again. But I must say...the adagio from 67 steals the spotlight!

Cheers

AnotherSpin

Adam Fischer, Bela Drahos, Antal Dorati.

DavidW

Dorati is my favorite in this one.  I have not heard McGegan.

André

McGegan and Derek Solomons nail it. That slow mvmt is a gem. Its amiable 'walking theme' is repeatedly interrupted by a much louder, curt exclamation. IMO Harnoncourt and Fischer are not as sharply characterized.

Mandryka

Quote from: André on June 30, 2024, 01:29:59 PMMcGegan and Derek Solomons nail it. That slow mvmt is a gem. Its amiable 'walking theme' is repeatedly interrupted by a much louder, curt exclamation. IMO Harnoncourt and Fischer are not as sharply characterized.
Thanks -- I shall listen to the Solomons this afternoon.

aukhawk

I have recordings of about 62 of Haydn's symphonies, a few in multiple versions - but oddly No.68 is not in that collection.  I'm sorry to say, listening to the examples upthread, I don't feel compelled to seek it out either.  (I generally prefer the symphonies from a few years earlier, typically numbered in the 40s.)
I usually find great pleasure in following the avenues that Mandryka suggests - this is a rare dud for me  :(

Jo498

I don't much care for it either, seems fairly routine/average to me and I have all Haydn symphonies and most in several recordings and listened to all of them several times over the years.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

It's nice that this is so divisive! I guess all music is.

DavidW

Quote from: DavidW on June 30, 2024, 01:20:08 PMDorati is my favorite in this one.  I have not heard McGegan.

Oh I forgot about Hogwood!

Spotted Horses

My favorite recording is Harnoncourt. Take that with a grain of salt, because I don't recall ever listening to any recording of Haydn Symphony No 68. (Harnoncourt recorded it, right?)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 02, 2024, 08:48:10 AMMy favorite recording is Harnoncourt. Take that with a grain of salt, because I don't recall ever listening to any recording of Haydn Symphony No 68. (Harnoncourt recorded it, right?)

Yeah he did, I think it was part of a Harnoncourt/RCO Haydn symphonies box set.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on July 02, 2024, 09:11:02 AMYeah he did, I think it was part of a Harnoncourt/RCO Haydn symphonies box set.

I have that box!
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: André on June 30, 2024, 01:29:59 PMMcGegan and Derek Solomons nail it. That slow mvmt is a gem. Its amiable 'walking theme' is repeatedly interrupted by a much louder, curt exclamation. IMO Harnoncourt and Fischer are not as sharply characterized.

My two favorites also. Just listened to McGegan a couple days ago, nice effort.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

prémont

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 02, 2024, 09:21:44 AMMy two favorites also. Just listened to McGegan a couple days ago, nice effort.

8)

Hello @Gurn

Nice to see you. In my mind you have been one of the cornerstones of GMG.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: prémont on July 02, 2024, 10:40:28 AMHello @Gurn

Nice to see you. In my mind you have been one of the cornerstones of GMG.

Thank you. I return your compliments.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on June 30, 2024, 10:37:43 AMCheers

This is a very fine album. It shares with Solomons' effort the transparency that a really good small orchestra gives.

:blank: