Jimmy Page...Chinese?

Started by маразм1, September 13, 2007, 07:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtwilbanks

But is he Jewish? We all want to know. Or at least one of us.

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice serĂ¡ porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

karlhenning

Haffner

Whatever his ethnicity, it never helped his lead guitar playing much.

Just my opinion.

маразм1

Quote from: Haffner on September 13, 2007, 09:23:46 AM

Just my opinion.

Here's my deal.  He's very very talented, innovative.  Led zep's influence is seen everwhere.  I love their polished first couple of albums.  Dazed and confused is just great!  Totally nuts, and raw. 

Their early live performances are also just awesome!  try youtubing "dazed and confused" from like 1969. 

Later stuff, is good, but I really hate their sound.  Sloppy, full of screw-ups.  I really can't stand that "electric drill" out of tune sound that he loves so much.  All those leslie'ed vocals with too much echo/reverb, all those squeaking bass drum pedals and drums that sound like they were recorded with a crappy toy microphone.   

Even "all of my love", what a great song, but that bass drum pedal squeaking is pissing me off.  then the keyboard solo, where John missed the key and hit two instead of one, then the really thin telecaster sound.  And the rest of their later muddy stuff, I cant stand at all.  Sounds like singing into the well, or something.

As time went by, jimi just plain sucked on stage. 

You know?  I think some rock/jazz musicians are either very polished, and boring; or unpolished and adventurous.  It's rare to see the two combined. 

D.

karlhenning

Quote from: Haffner on September 13, 2007, 09:23:46 AM

Just my opinion.

How about his rhythm work?

--Just kidding!!!  ;D

mahlertitan

Haffner

Quote from: marazm1 on September 13, 2007, 09:37:53 AM
Here's my deal.  He's very very talented, innovative.  Led zep's influence is seen everwhere.  I love their polished first couple of albums.  Dazed and confused is just great!  Totally nuts, and raw. 

Their early live performances are also just awesome!  try youtubing "dazed and confused" from like 1969. 

Later stuff, is good, but I really hate their sound.  Sloppy, full of screw-ups.  I really can't stand that "electric drill" out of tune sound that he loves so much.  All those leslie'ed vocals with too much echo/reverb, all those squeaking bass drum pedals and drums that sound like they were recorded with a crappy toy microphone.   

Even "all of my love", what a great song, but that bass drum pedal squeaking is pissing me off.  then the keyboard solo, where John missed the key and hit two instead of one, then the really thin telecaster sound.  And the rest of their later muddy stuff, I cant stand at all.  Sounds like singing into the well, or something.

As time went by, jimi just plain sucked on stage. 

You know?  I think some rock/jazz musicians are either very polished, and boring; or unpolished and adventurous.  It's rare to see the two combined. 

D.

I classify Page's lead guita playing with players like Hendrix and Ace Frehley: I liked them only before I started playing guitar. Once I played for a few years, I began to get embarassed by Page's carelessness in his his early and late period playing. After his often interesting solos with the Yardbirds, He seemed to actually stop practicing his leads entirely after Zeppelin got signed by a major label (that's their first album, btw).

I admit that Zeppelin had several very good songs (I always thougt Achilles Last Stand was their best, it practically invented Iron Maiden), but folks that want to hear a far more advanced lead guitar player can just go pick up far more accomplished, well-practiced guitar albums likeJeff Beck Group's Truth, Deep Purple's output from 1970 on, and (since I've paid more attention) King Crimson's '70's material.

BachQ

Haffner

Quote from: D Minor on September 13, 2007, 10:23:58 AM
:D

Okay, I love Achilles' Last Stand, Immigrant Song, Since I've Been Loving You, and Communication Breakdown. But that pretty much wraps it up for me. I haven't even owned a Led Zeppelin album in roughly 15 years. Yet I have over a dozen Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest discs. I guess it's just a matter of taste again.

The thing that always turned me off about Zeppelin was their preoccupation with Folk music...I'm not a fan of that genre, though I certainly respect some of the lyricists (YES I MEAN BIG BOB D.!).

karlhenning

Quote from: Haffner on September 13, 2007, 10:37:17 AM
I haven't even owned a Led Zeppelin album in roughly 15 years.

Nor me!

karlhenning

Quote from: Haffner on September 13, 2007, 10:37:17 AM
(YES I MEAN BIG BOB D.!).

QuoteAn' me, I nearly got busted
An' wouldn't it be my luck
To get caught without a ticket
And be discovered beneath a truck.

Haffner

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Haffner on September 13, 2007, 10:17:52 AM

I classify Page's lead guita playing with players like Hendrix and Ace Frehley: I liked them only before I started playing guitar. Once I played for a few years, I began to get embarassed by Page's carelessness in his his early and late period playing. After his often interesting solos with the Yardbirds, He seemed to actually stop practicing his leads entirely after Zeppelin got signed by a major label (that's their first album, btw).

I admit that Zeppelin had several very good songs (I always thougt Achilles Last Stand was their best, it practically invented Iron Maiden), but folks that want to hear a far more advanced lead guitar player can just go pick up far more accomplished, well-practiced guitar albums likeJeff Beck Group's Truth, Deep Purple's output from 1970 on, and (since I've paid more attention) King Crimson's '70's material.

This is rock 'n' roll. Only three chords required.

karlhenning

Give Dave "Louie, Louie," and he's occupied for days  8)

dtwilbanks

Quote from: karlhenning on September 13, 2007, 11:03:56 AM

Yep. That's a rock 'n' roll song. Not one of my favorites, mind you.

Haffner

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on September 13, 2007, 11:03:56 AM

"Since You Been Gone,
Since You Been Gone,
Outta my head can't take it.
Don't get me wrong but since you been gone
you cast the spell now break it."

karlhenning

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 13, 2007, 11:05:57 AM
Yep. That's a rock 'n' roll song. Not one of my favorites, mind you.

Hmm . . . inquiring minds . . . .