Jimmy Page...Chinese?

Started by маразм1, September 13, 2007, 07:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtwilbanks

bwv 1080

Page is a great R&R guitarist and composer.  That he lacks the facility to play fast scales fluidly does not diminish his skill.  It is only in the shred guitarbation culture of the last 20 years or so that someone like Page has begun to be considered a poor player.  I will listen to Page all day before 5 minutes of Paul Gilbert or Yngwie Malmsteen

Danny

Quote from: Haffner on September 13, 2007, 09:23:46 AM
Whatever his ethnicity, it never helped his lead guitar playing much.

Just my opinion.

At everything else he was a real hammer, Haffner!

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Haffner

Quote from: Danny on September 13, 2007, 12:23:24 PM
At everything else he was a real hammer, Haffner!

Yeah, as a songwriter, rythm and "acoustic folk rock" guitar player,  Page was often really good. Again, it's only my opinion.

Haffner

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on September 13, 2007, 02:08:39 PM
Over 25+ years for me!

You know, alot of it had to do (at least for me) with the fact that the radio just played Zeppelin to death. I used to really like and enjoy Zep IV and Houses of the Holy. But after having it shoved down my throat for decades, I'm pretty much indifferent to practically all their catalogue.

Haffner

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 13, 2007, 12:22:27 PM
Page is a great R&R guitarist and composer.  That he lacks the facility to play fast scales fluidly does not diminish his skill.  It is only in the shred guitarbation culture of the last 20 years or so that someone like Page has begun to be considered a poor player. 

I respect 100% that you like Page alot; I like him too.

Actually, Page has for the most part shown a remarkable lack of care in his lead guitar playing since 1968. I couldn't care less how fast he plays or no, when he does play lead, he almost entirely abandons intonation in favor of sounding a bunch of improprerly fretted notes that impress mostly people whom haven't played a musical instrument for any appreciable length of time.

I'm no great or very good player myself, but I do teach, and among every other guitar teacher I've spoken with (dozens in several different states), the fact of Page's basic lack of concern for proper intonation is (has been) accepted.

Listen to the guitar solo on "Heartbreaker", and then (say) Deep Purple's "Highway Star", both roughly from the same period.

That written, Page's songwriting abilities far outshine and balance out the marked deficiencies he has as a player.

Again, I am a nobody, just a middle aged, loser guitar player from New England. But I must impress that it isn't only folks of the "shred generation" whom are aware of the crippling deficiencies in Page's playing.

aquablob

Quote from: Haffner on September 14, 2007, 05:16:58 AM
But I must impress that it isn't only folks of the "shred generation" whom are aware of the crippling deficiencies in Page's playing.

Word

маразм1

actually, i listened to Achilles Last Stand last night.  I must say, indeed it is highly influential as a song, but it just sounds like crap to me.

It literally sounds like the dude can't play guitar, or just started.  I thought it would be a great song, but the quality was complete crap.  No vibrato, out of tune, horrible sound.  It also sounds like it was recorded in the 60s, it has that thin sound; not the "processed" heavy sound.  Do you know what I mean?  Like let's take "all along to watchtower" tone and compare it to "sgt pepper longely hearts club band".  Night and day.

He must have been stoned out of his mind.  

The solo is very sloppy, one part makes me cringe, because it's a clear screw-up!  I hated the song, and hope to never listen to it again!  

Haffner

Quote from: marazm1 on September 14, 2007, 05:32:15 AM
actually, i listened to Achilles Last Stand last night.  I must say, indeed it is highly influential as a song, but it just sounds like crap to me.

It literally sounds like the dude can't play guitar, or just started.  I thought it would be a great song, but the quality was complete crap.  No vibrato, out of tune, horrible sound.  It also sounds like it was recorded in the 60s, it has that thin sound; not the "processed" heavy sound.  Do you know what I mean?  Like let's take "all along to watchtower" tone and compare it to "sgt pepper longely hearts club band".  Night and day.

He must have been stoned out of his mind.  

The solo is very sloppy, one part makes me cringe, because it's a clear screw-up!  I hated the song, and hope to never listen to it again!  

Hey, you might not have the remastered version. Achilles... (in my opinion) trumps even Kashmir and Stairway to Heaven in its epic construction and obviously progressive unfolding. True, the solo is mostly pretty bad, but I guess Zeppelin just wasn't about guitar solos. If you want those, from the same time period, run don't walk to buy Rainbow Rising.

Hector

Quote from: marazm1 on September 13, 2007, 09:37:53 AM
Here's my deal.  He's very very talented, innovative.  Led zep's influence is seen everwhere.  I love their polished first couple of albums.  Dazed and confused is just great!  Totally nuts, and raw. 

Their early live performances are also just awesome!  try youtubing "dazed and confused" from like 1969. 

Later stuff, is good, but I really hate their sound.  Sloppy, full of screw-ups.  I really can't stand that "electric drill" out of tune sound that he loves so much.  All those leslie'ed vocals with too much echo/reverb, all those squeaking bass drum pedals and drums that sound like they were recorded with a crappy toy microphone.   

Even "all of my love", what a great song, but that bass drum pedal squeaking is pissing me off.  then the keyboard solo, where John missed the key and hit two instead of one, then the really thin telecaster sound.  And the rest of their later muddy stuff, I cant stand at all.  Sounds like singing into the well, or something.

As time went by, jimi just plain sucked on stage. 

You know?  I think some rock/jazz musicians are either very polished, and boring; or unpolished and adventurous.  It's rare to see the two combined. 

D.

In a way that is very perceptive but remember most of these guys were spaced out on dugs and booze most of the time, hyped up to a frenzy, and then there was the sex, faceless chicks throwing their bodies at them. It amazes me that they could get a chord together.

Worst group in the universe: Rolling Stones, never together, each playing at his own dynamic, a complete mess. The 'Blues', in fact.

It is only when the tight ensemble playing of Dire Straits came along that the failings of this lot were amplified.

Best group for tight ensemble playing: Los Lobos. Am I right or am I right?

All in my dissolute past.

маразм1

Quote from: Haffner on September 14, 2007, 05:41:49 AM

Hey, you might not have the remastered version. Achilles... (in my opinion) trumps even Kashmir and Stairway to Heaven in its epic construction and obviously progressive unfolding. True, the solo is mostly pretty bad, but I guess Zeppelin just wasn't about guitar solos. If you want those, from the same time period, run don't walk to buy Rainbow Rising.

when you say "remastered", you are saying it sounds different from the original vinyl?  like, they changed the sound or something?

d.

Haffner

Quote from: marazm1 on September 14, 2007, 05:53:12 AM
when you say "remastered", you are saying it sounds different from the original vinyl?  like, they changed the sound or something?

d.

Some of the problems that you mentioned with your copy of the song can get cleared up via remastering. Most of Zep's stuff sounds alot better on cd now (in my opinion) due to the years of master and remastering done to the original sound.

However, it is a '70's release!

greg

Quote from: marazm1 on September 13, 2007, 09:37:53 AM
You know?  I think some rock/jazz musicians are either very polished, and boring; or unpolished and adventurous.  It's rare to see the two combined. 

D.
that's why i listen to classical, the best of both worlds
(especially my favorite composer  0:) 0:) 0:))

most rock just totally bores me, i wish the truly good guitarists weren't glorified just by the guitar magazines (like crazy!) but instead by a larger fan base, and of course, the radio.

Haffner

Quote from: greg on September 14, 2007, 06:09:15 AM
that's why i listen to classical, the best of both worlds
(especially my favorite composer  0:) 0:) 0:))

Mozart  ;D ;) ;)!!!

greg

Quote from: Haffner on September 14, 2007, 06:12:11 AM

Mozart  ;D ;) ;)!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you scarwe me   :'( :-\ :-[ :( :'(

Haffner

Quote from: greg on September 14, 2007, 06:24:06 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you scarwe me   :'( :-\ :-[ :( :'(

Trust me, Greg, I have a good idea of how you feel about ol' Wolfie.

маразм1

you mean haha van halan's new bassist, Wolfie?  that just sux.  I know he might be great and all, but that little diaper-wearing kid is just wrong.  He wasn't even born yet when Van Halen were already rocking.

d.

bwv 1080

Quote from: Haffner on September 14, 2007, 05:16:58 AM

I respect 100% that you like Page alot; I like him too.

Actually, Page has for the most part shown a remarkable lack of care in his lead guitar playing since 1968. I couldn't care less how fast he plays or no, when he does play lead, he almost entirely abandons intonation in favor of sounding a bunch of improprerly fretted notes that impress mostly people whom haven't played a musical instrument for any appreciable length of time.

I'm no great or very good player myself, but I do teach, and among every other guitar teacher I've spoken with (dozens in several different states), the fact of Page's basic lack of concern for proper intonation is (has been) accepted.

Listen to the guitar solo on "Heartbreaker", and then (say) Deep Purple's "Highway Star", both roughly from the same period.

That written, Page's songwriting abilities far outshine and balance out the marked deficiencies he has as a player.

Again, I am a nobody, just a middle aged, loser guitar player from New England. But I must impress that it isn't only folks of the "shred generation" whom are aware of the crippling deficiencies in Page's playing.

I am agreeing that Page can be sloppy.  It did not take me long as a teenager to discover that it was not that difficult to mimic passages like the solo break in Heartbreaker.  However, other solos by Page are classic, like Stairway to Heaven or my favorite Page solo which is on Since I Have Been Loving You off of III.  The intonation is good on both of those - but he does not really try to play fast on these either.

Haffner

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 14, 2007, 11:57:00 AM
I am agreeing that Page can be sloppy.  It did not take me long as a teenager to discover that it was not that difficult to mimic passages like the solo break in Heartbreaker.  However, other solos by Page are classic, like Stairway to Heaven or my favorite Page solo which is on Since I Have Been Loving You off of III.  The intonation is good on both of those - but he does not really try to play fast on these either.

Those two are really good! I remember being mesmerized by the solo on Since I've Been Loving You, even the version from the film Song Remains the Same. Of course, I've always been extremely stoned during the latter, so the sloppies didn't stand out as much.

Great post, b. and I agree!