Haydn's Masses

Started by DavidW, September 13, 2007, 01:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

On the listening thread Harry mentioned buying a Brilliant Classics reissue of the Haydn Masses by Weil.  I'm very much interested in this set, and I'm excited to hear of it's reissue... but I was unable to find it online through my superficial search.  Where can I buy that set?

Harry

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2007, 01:56:21 PM
On the listening thread Harry mentioned buying a Brilliant Classics reissue of the Haydn Masses by Weil.  I'm very much interested in this set, and I'm excited to hear of it's reissue... but I was unable to find it online through my superficial search.  Where can I buy that set?

Que told me, that it is only available in Holland. I could not find on all the sites I looked. Que gave me a link to the Dutch site, Kruidvat, and there I ordered it.

DavidW

Oh okay I'm sure I can be happy with Hickox then. :)

BorisG

I am pleased to say that I am Mass free and will remain so.  0:)

DavidW

Quote from: BorisG on September 13, 2007, 05:32:13 PM
I am pleased to say that I am Mass free and will remain so.  0:)

Do you float? ;D

Que

Quote from: Harry on September 13, 2007, 02:02:40 PM
Que told me, that it is only available in Holland. I could not find on all the sites I looked.

I did see enterprising individuals take advantage of that and selling it on ebay.

Q

immanueljoseph

Hi,

Did Sir Neville Marriner ever record Haydn's last mass "Harmoniemesse" (Wind-band Mass)? Because, I've never found better recording of Haydn's Great last 6 Masses other than Marriner's. Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
Joseph

val

Quoteimmanueljoseph

Did Sir Neville Marriner ever record Haydn's last mass "Harmoniemesse" (Wind-band Mass)? Because, I've never found better recording of Haydn's Great last 6 Masses other than Marriner's. Thank you.

Ilove Marriner in Haydn's Masses, but never heard him in the Harmoniemesse. But Ferencsik and Bernstein are very good in this work.

alkan

I could not find a version with Marriner conducting, but there is a version with "his" orchestra, the Academy of St Martin in the Fields.    This is in the venerable Decca set, with George Guest conducting.     I have this version (and the other late Masses) and I am very happy with it.       I don't know how it compares to Gardiner, Harnoncourt, Bernstein and the others, but I have never been tempted to look for another version.
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

Harry

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 06:25:14 PM
I did see enterprising individuals take advantage of that and selling it on ebay.

Q

It is reissued by Sony, the complete set.

Que

Quote from: Harry on March 31, 2009, 12:08:04 AM
It is reissued by Sony, the complete set.

Ah, yes! :) Here it is (issue on 3rd of april in Germany):

Q

Bunny

Quote from: Que on March 31, 2009, 12:36:59 AM
Ah, yes! :) Here it is (issue on 3rd of april in Germany):

Q

The original set was 5 cds.  This set is 4 cds.  I don't know whether material has been cut or whether they have just rearranged the material to fit on to fewer discs.

Que

Quote from: Bunny on March 31, 2009, 06:46:41 AM
The original set was 5 cds.  This set is 4 cds.  I don't know whether material has been cut or whether they have just rearranged the material to fit on to fewer discs.

I just did a check between my own (Benelux-only) Brilliant set (above) and the listing of the Vivarte reissue on jpc. And you all are not going to be pleased.... :-\

Basically, all what is on the 5th disc in my set is missing:
Missa brevis Sancti Joannis de Deo, Hob. XXII:7 ("Little Organ Mass")
Mare Clausum, Hob. XXIVa:9 (fragment) (on CD 4)
Missa "Sunt bona mixta malis", Hob XXII:2
Offertorium "Non nobis, Domine", Hob. XXIIIa:1
Ave Regina, Hob XXIIIb:3
Responsoria de Venerabili, Hob. XXIIIc:4a-d
Responsorium ad absolutionem "Libera me", Hob XXIIb:1
Salve Regina, Hob. XXIIIb:1

Q

Bunny

Quote from: Que on March 31, 2009, 07:08:48 AM
I just did a check between my own (Benelux-only) Brilliant set (above) and the listing of the Vivarte reissue on jpc. And you all are not going to be pleased.... :-\

Basically, all what is on the 5th disc in my set is missing:
Missa brevis Sancti Joannis de Deo, Hob. XXII:7 ("Little Organ Mass")
Mare Clausum, Hob. XXIVa:9 (fragment) (on CD 4)
Missa "Sunt bona mixta malis", Hob XXII:2
Offertorium "Non nobis, Domine", Hob. XXIIIa:1
Ave Regina, Hob XXIIIb:3
Responsoria de Venerabili, Hob. XXIIIc:4a-d
Responsorium ad absolutionem "Libera me", Hob XXIIb:1
Salve Regina, Hob. XXIIIb:1

Q

That doesn't surprise me at all!  A quick review at Amazon US has shown that only 4 cds were released here in separate editions.  They also have the box titled as  The Six Late Masses rather than The Complete Masses.   ::)

Bunny

After going through all of my cds, I find that I already have the cd pictured below which seems to have much of the same content as CD 5 of the original Brilliant Classics set, as well as the original pressings of three other CDs containing masses as well as Weil's recording of die Schopfung.  I guess this means that I may not be buying the reissue. :)

Gurn Blanston

Well, I have the Benelux Brilliant set, thus not overly concerned (for once) bout being left out of it all!  :)

Along with the Hickox "Black Box" Complete Masses and the Gardiner "6 Great Masses" set, I can honestly say that my desires in this direction are completely fulfilled! I don't compare amongst them, I simply enjoy the multiple merits of each.  0:)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

OK - Guys & Gals - I own a LOT of Haydn's instrumental music, but just the usual of his choral/vocal output - concerning the Masses, I have the 3-CD set shown below w/ Gardiner - should I consider another option and/or some additional purchases; as usual, appears that Hadyn wrote so much that one cannot attempt to own everything! Dave  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on April 01, 2009, 03:25:05 PM
OK - Guys & Gals - I own a LOT of Haydn's instrumental music, but just the usual of his choral/vocal output - concerning the Masses, I have the 3-CD set shown below w/ Gardiner - should I consider another option and/or some additional purchases; as usual, appears that Hadyn wrote so much that one cannot attempt to own everything! Dave  :)

Actually, the Hickox DOES have everything, having 3 more disks than the Weil. And Collegium Musicum 90 is a fine band. This box is 5 star rated just about everywhere, and I was very satisfied with it (and the Gardiner) until I got the Weil, which as I say, didn't replace the Hickox for me, it just made a very fine option when I want a different take. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Valentino

I bought the Harnoncourt set with Concentus Musicus Wien and the Arnold Schoenberg Chor about a month ago. Splendid stuff, and boys choir free too!  8)
Available with two covers these days:

Of course It's got only four missæ on it, but there are other gems on it too:

Missa in tempore belli, Hob.XXII:9 “Paukenmesse”Composer Joseph Haydn
Salve Regina, Hob.XXIIIb:2Composer Joseph Haydn
Missa in angustiis, Hob.XXII:11 “Nelsonmesse”Composer Joseph Haydn
Te Deum, Hob.XXIIIc:2Composer Joseph Haydn
Missa, Hob.XXII:14 “Harmoniemesse”Composer Joseph Haydn
Cantata “Qual dubbio ormai”, Hob.XXIVa:4Composer Joseph Haydn
Te Deum, Hob.XXIIIc:1Composer Joseph Haydn
Stabat Mater, Hob.XXbisComposer Joseph Haydn
Die sieben letzten Worte unseres Erlösers am Kreuze, Hob.XX:2Composer Joseph Haydn
Missa, Hob.XXII:13 “Schöpfungsmesse”Composer Joseph Haydn

Magnificat, D486Composer Franz Schubert
Intende voci, D963Composer Franz Schubert

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Sorin Eushayson

I just wanna pop in real quick to give the thumbs-up to Hickox's set of the Haydn masses.  You get decent period instrument performances of all the masses and lots of Haydn's other sacred music in one handy-dandy box set.