Sibelius

Started by Patricia, September 13, 2007, 07:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patricia

I read a recent post and I have a question that somehow relate to it.  I quote Melissa q For the ones that haven't read it: 

"I reacently bought the DVD of the Elgar Cello Concerto parformed by Jacqueline Du Pre.  In the extras there is a mini documentary showing images of Pinchas Zukerman, Daniel Barenboim, Itzak Pealrman, etc."

My question:  There is a segment in this mini documentary where a narrator speaks a little bit about Sibelius.  The next scene is an orchestra playing what I asume is a Sibelius sympohy.  Does anyone know which is it? 

Thanks a lot guys
Trish

BachQ

melissa_q

Hi Trish!
I dont know which piece is the one you refer to, but I belive (since I've this DVD) that the conductor is Vladimir Ashkenazy... Maybe another member can use this hint to discover which symphony is the one your asking for.

Mel

Lethevich

I'll link Amazon samples of a few famous themes in case it's one of them (I'm using the track names on their playlist for the link names, so they won't be consistent or logical in this context):

Symphony no. 2. Beginning of the finale: 5. Finale: Allegro Moderato

Symphony no. 3. Middle movement: 2. Symphony No.3 In C Major, Op.52: II. Andantino con moto, quasi allegretto

Symphony no. 5. Opening: (this theme is repeated later, with full orchestra in a much expanded form) 5. Symphony No. 5 In E Flat, Op. 82: 1. Tempo molto moderato - Largamento - Allegro moderato

Symphony no. 6. Beginning of last movement: 4. Allegro Molto

A few tone poems as well, just in case:

Swan of Tuonela, from Lemminkäinen Suite: 7. The Swan Of Tuonela - Gerhard Stempnik

Finlandia. Opening: 1. Finlandia - Berlin Phil/Herbert Von Karajan

Finlandia. Some time after the opening: 1. Finlandia, Op. 26
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.