Classical Radio Stations and Internet Broadcasts

Started by hornteacher, April 16, 2007, 06:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornteacher

Thought it would be fun for everyone to share (or plug) their local Classical Music station.

In the Charlotte, NC area the station is WDAV located on the campus of Davidson College.  I like to take students up there twice a year to answer phones for their pledge drive, the kids get a real kick out of it.

You can listen to WDAV online for free at:

http://www.wdav.org

then click on "listen online".

Bogey

Quote from: hornteacher on April 16, 2007, 06:34:29 PM
Thought it would be fun for everyone to share (or plug) their local Classical Music station.

In the Charlotte, NC area the station is WDAV located on the campus of Davidson College.  I like to take students up there twice a year to answer phones for their pledge drive, the kids get a real kick out of it.

You can listen to WDAV online for free at:

http://www.wdav.org

then click on "listen online".

Excellent idea.  However, I am tuned to mine right at the moment, so maybe in a bit (see listening thread). :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Don

My overall opinion of the classical music station in Albuquerque, New Mexico is that it sucks: too much crossover, too much light classical, too much guitar music, too much Vivaldi and a major penchant for playing only parts of compositions.  So the only time I give it a try is when I forget to have any cds in the car.

Bogey

Quote from: Don on April 16, 2007, 06:59:33 PM
My overall opinion of the classical music station in Albuquerque, New Mexico is that it sucks: too much crossover, too much light classical, too much guitar music, too much Vivaldi and a major penchant for playing only parts of compositions.  So the only time I give it a try is when I forget to have any cds in the car.

Here is the playlist for our station today in Denver (we share some programming with L.A. as well).  How does it compare to yours Don?:

http://www.kvod.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=249
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Steve

WFMT in Chicago is wonderful. They currently broadcast recordings of both the CSO and Lyric.  ;D Especially entertaining, is a lovely program at 7.00 pm on weekdays. Specific subgeneras of music, or particular composers are discussed, and major as well as relatively unknown items from their oevure are aired. The station is quite a boon to music lovers in Chicago!

Iconito

Not my "local Classical Music station"... but every now and then I visit Live365.com.

Thousands (100+ Classical... Plus Jazz, Rock, Poo Pop and every imaginable genre...) of free online radio stations there.
It's your language. I'm just trying to use it --Victor Borge

hornteacher

Quote from: Bill on April 16, 2007, 07:35:58 PM
Here is the playlist for our station today in Denver (we share some programming with L.A. as well).

That's a pretty nice playlist and they seem to be mixing it up well throughout the day.  Do they play anything modern?

Maciek

I listen to Polish Radio Channel 2. They are not exactly a classical radio station but a "cultural" one, which means that they also have lots of stuff about literature, the arts etc. in their program. But music does dominate, and what's more they give lots of time to contemporary music (at least half an hour a day - new recordings are broadcast daily from 12:30 to 13:00 on weekdays, but usually it's much more than that if you count in the stuff they do evenings and late night - sometimes it's even 4-5 hours of contemporary music a day!). I'd say they have achieved ideal proportions: a bit of jazz (about an hour 3-4 times a week), a tiny bit of film music (an hour a week), lots of "old" classical (60-70% of the time) + a decent serving of contemporary.

You can listen on-line at:
http://www.polskieradio.pl/sluchaj/play.aspx?p=i2
or
http://www.polskieradio.pl/sluchaj/play.aspx?p=r2

Bogey

Quote from: hornteacher on April 17, 2007, 03:22:33 AM
That's a pretty nice playlist and they seem to be mixing it up well throughout the day.  Do they play anything modern?

Ocassionally.  However, they do have this every Saturday night (included is last weeks playlist):

Modern Masterpieces with Alan Chapman
Alan invites you to explore the great musical works of the past three-quarters of a century and share the unique emotional power that only music of our time can offer.

10:01 pm  Leos Janacek: String Quartet #1 "The Kreutzer Sonata"
Brodsky Quartet
Brodsky 3503

10:20 pm  Karol Szymanowski: Symphony #3 "Song of the Night" Op 27
City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra / Simon Rattle
CBSO Chorus
Jon Garrison, tenor
EMI 55121

10:45 pm  Igor Stravinsky: Octet
London Sinfonietta / Riccardo Chailly
London 417114

11:01 pm  George Antheil: Airplane Sonata
Marthanne Verbit, piano
Troy 146

11:07 pm  Kurt Weill: Concerto for Violin & Wind Orchestra Op 12
London Sinfonietta / David Atherton
Nona Liddell, violin
Deutsche Grammophon 423255

11:35 pm  Paul Hindemith: Nobilissima Visione
Philadelphia Orchestra / Wolfgang Sawallisch
EMI 55230

karlhenning

Quote from: Don on April 16, 2007, 06:59:33 PM
My overall opinion of the classical music station in Albuquerque, New Mexico is that it sucks: too much crossover, too much light classical, too much guitar music, too much Vivaldi and a major penchant for playing only parts of compositions.

So that's where WCRB got the ideas from!

Todd

Though I live in a smaller market, I still have access to a fine radio station in KBPS.  They actually play entire pieces of music and have a variety of interesting programs, both original and syndicated.  The over the air sound is very good, too.  They stream, so apparently people from all over listen.  During the last fund-raiser someone from Uzbekistan pledged money.  I tell you, non-commercial is the way to go.  There's also a non-commercial jazz station that's as good.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Don

Quote from: Bill on April 16, 2007, 07:35:58 PM
Here is the playlist for our station today in Denver (we share some programming with L.A. as well).  How does it compare to yours Don?:

http://www.kvod.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=249

Significantly better than mine.

Hector

BBC's Radio 3.

The only radio station in the Western hemisphere to receive requests NOT to play a certain composer...Telemann, as it was sending some of its listeners to sleep mid-morning ::)

Iconito

Quote from: hornteacher on April 17, 2007, 03:22:33 AM

Do they play anything modern?

Currently Playing:

Henri Dutilleux / Cello Concerto 'Tout un monde lontain...' / Rostropovich / Orchestre de Paris / Baudo / EMI

Recently Played:

Richard Strauss - Oboe Concerto in D Major - 'Masterpieces for Oboe' / Lencsés / Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart / Marriner / Hänssler [25:04] 
Jean Sibelius - Andante festivo - 'Cantatas & Orchestral Works' / Lahti SO / Vänskä / BIS [05:15] 
Jean Sibelius - Overture in a minor - 'Cantatas & Orchestral Works' / Lahti SO / Vänskä / BIS [09:14] 
Theo Bruins - Quartet '84, for piano - 'Complete Works' / Q Disc [07:50] 
Wolfgang Rihm - In-Schrift - 'Rückblick Moderne' / Bamberger Symphoniker / Zender / col legno [21:13]
John Harbison - The Natural World – Felty / LA Phil. New Music Group / New World [14:17] 
Ezra Sims - Come Away – Felty / Dinosaur Annex / CRI [20:37] 

Just taken from Contemporary Classical, one of the stations at Live365.com.

OK. I swear I won't mention this site again! :D (But, if you don't know it, I think it's worth a visit...)

Robert

Quote from: Iconito on April 17, 2007, 09:34:33 AM
Currently Playing:

Henri Dutilleux / Cello Concerto 'Tout un monde lontain...' / Rostropovich / Orchestre de Paris / Baudo / EMI

Recently Played:

Richard Strauss - Oboe Concerto in D Major - 'Masterpieces for Oboe' / Lencsés / Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart / Marriner / Hänssler [25:04] 
Jean Sibelius - Andante festivo - 'Cantatas & Orchestral Works' / Lahti SO / Vänskä / BIS [05:15] 
Jean Sibelius - Overture in a minor - 'Cantatas & Orchestral Works' / Lahti SO / Vänskä / BIS [09:14] 
Theo Bruins - Quartet '84, for piano - 'Complete Works' / Q Disc [07:50] 
Wolfgang Rihm - In-Schrift - 'Rückblick Moderne' / Bamberger Symphoniker / Zender / col legno [21:13]
John Harbison - The Natural World – Felty / LA Phil. New Music Group / New World [14:17] 
Ezra Sims - Come Away – Felty / Dinosaur Annex / CRI [20:37] 

Just taken from Contemporary Classical, one of the stations at Live365.com.

OK. I swear I won't mention this site again! :D (But, if you don't know it, I think it's worth a visit...)

If you like 20th century its a must...all you have to do is go to the site and check all the composers they play....you can also request......five star......

Robert

Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2007, 05:16:10 AM
Though I live in a smaller market, I still have access to a fine radio station in KBPS.  They actually play entire pieces of music and have a variety of interesting programs, both original and syndicated.  The over the air sound is very good, too.  They stream, so apparently people from all over listen.  During the last fund-raiser someone from Uzbekistan pledged money.  I tell you, non-commercial is the way to go.  There's also a non-commercial jazz station that's as good.
Todd
all the Bartok, Pettersson, Szymanowski you can handle......contemporaryclassical.com....

Todd

Quote from: Robert on April 17, 2007, 10:01:37 AMall the Bartok, Pettersson, Szymanowski you can handle......contemporaryclassical.com....

Pettersson I can see, but Bartok and Szymanowski as contemporary?  How about Hartke and Rautavaara and Gubaidulina instead . . .
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Danny

Mine is Capital Public Radio out of Sacramento, CA.  Mostly Baroque/Classical during the day, with the later stuff played at night.  Not bad while in the car, but at home I avoid it.

Iconito

Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2007, 10:10:59 AM

Pettersson I can see, but Bartok and Szymanowski as contemporary?  How about Hartke and Rautavaara and Gubaidulina instead . . .

Check their composers' list. Rautavaara and Gubaidulina are there... Hartke ... Mmm... Nop... But you can ask! :D

Robert

Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2007, 10:10:59 AM

all you can eat...... 20th century ......Seriously when was the last time you heard a complete piece by Feldman, Mahler, Pettersson etc......