Classical Radio Stations and Internet Broadcasts

Started by hornteacher, April 16, 2007, 06:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Robert on April 17, 2007, 11:03:48 AMSeriously when was the last time you heard a complete piece by Feldman, Mahler, Pettersson etc......

Pettersson and Feldman get little to no airplay, but everytime the local station plays Mahler, the whole work is played.  Same with Bruckner.  (Unless it's listener request night, in which case only one movement might get played.)

I love 20th Century music, but as some of it is now over a century old, it's time to refine the usage of "contemporary."
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Robert

Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2007, 11:28:50 AM

Pettersson and Feldman get little to no airplay, but everytime the local station plays Mahler, the whole work is played.  Same with Bruckner.  (Unless it's listener request night, in which case only one movement might get played.)

I love 20th Century music, but as some of it is now over a century old, it's time to refine the usage of "contemporary."

I cannot disagree with you.....Its a word that always had some meaning for me.....

Iconito

Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2007, 11:28:50 AM

You're right, Todd. And I've just checked the FAQ at http://contemporary-classical.com and they agree with you too...

Is music from the first half of the 20th century really "contemporary"?

Well, no, not really. But we find that playing music from 1900 on, along with more truly "modern" music, makes for a particularly good listening experience. It also lets us play many underappreciated composers from the first half of the 20th century.
It's your language. I'm just trying to use it --Victor Borge

Symphonien

Another vote for contemporary-classical here. I listen to it all the time now while I'm on the internet. The best part is being able to request a work, and they play it an hour later.

SonicMan46

Quote from: hornteacher on April 16, 2007, 06:34:29 PM
In the Charlotte, NC area the station is WDAV located on the campus of Davidson College.  I like to take students up there twice a year to answer phones for their pledge drive, the kids get a real kick out of it.

You can listen to WDAV online for free at:

http://www.wdav.org

Horn Teacher - being up the road in W-S, we can 'pull in' the Davidson station - excellent & abundant classical music programming - need to start listening to it some more!  Locally, we have the Wake Forest Univeristy channel, WFDD (88.5) - the classical programming has dropped substantially, now mainly a 'talk' station in the AM & afternoon - music more at night (just listened to the Fred Childs program the other day); we are annual 'day sponsors' but have not been pleased w/ the excess of these 'talk shows' although many are certainly quite good.  :D

oyasumi

www.kcsn.org

the best classical station in LA, and they make it a point to play contemporary and otherwise adventurous stuff

hornteacher

Quote from: SonicMan on April 18, 2007, 04:45:23 AM
Horn Teacher - being up the road in W-S, we can 'pull in' the Davidson station - excellent & abundant classical music programming - need to start listening to it some more!

Excellent.  I wasn't aware the signal made it that far.  The staff there is a lot of fun to hang around with during the pledge drives.  They let my students tour the station as well.

SonicMan46

Quote from: hornteacher on April 18, 2007, 01:31:31 PM
Excellent.  I wasn't aware the signal made it that far.  The staff there is a lot of fun to hang around with during the pledge drives.  They let my students tour the station as well.

Well, it does vary from 'day to day' - I do have a 'cheap' roof FM antenna, but should probably invest in a better one.  :-\ :D

bhodges

On his blog, Alex Ross posted a link to RadiOm, which looks really great for 20th-century fans.  It's sponsored by Other Minds (in San Francisco) and here are some sample programs below.  You have to register, but it's free and quick. 

Sample programs:

Ode To Gravity: Brian Eno (Special Edition, I of IV) Uploaded: 11/20/2003.  Charles Amirkhanian and Brian Eno discuss Phonetic Poetry, how Brian writes his lyrics, and the spirit of inquisitiveness at KPFA Radio, on Saturday February 2, 1980.  Listen to some of Brian Eno's pieces, "After the Heat",...

John Cage and David Tudor in Concert in San Francisco, Jan. 16, 1965 Uploaded: 12/11/2003.  Recorded by KPFA Radio on the 39th birthday of David Tudor, this historic concert with John Cage thundered through the halls of the sculpture court of the San Francisco Museum of Art before a capacity audience that included the late Darius...

Stravinsky in Rehearsal from 1947 Uploaded: 01/22/2004.  In 1947, William Malloch possessed of a sense of history, recorded Igor Stravinsky rehearsing his new revision of his symphonies of wind instruments in memory of Debussy.  The sound is antique but the picture of what Stravinsky is striving...

--Bruce

Robert

Quote from: oyasumi on April 18, 2007, 06:55:03 AM
www.kcsn.org

the best classical station in LA, and they make it a point to play contemporary and otherwise adventurous stuff
Adventurous? whoa perhaps I should listen. I tuned out years ago....Jim Svejda Adventurous???  Please give me an idea of some of the adventurous pieces they have recently played.....

WebRep MonteVerdi

Hello everyone,
MonteVerdi is absolutely free and is able to provide all of your classical music needs in a single place! Has anyone tried the Music Quiz offered on the site? With over 200 international radio stations, the world's largest classical music video collection, downloads, and full screen galleries of your favorite artists, it really is a one of a kind classical music resource. I urge you to take the guided tour of the site offered at www.monteverdi.tv

The site also contains an area to keep up to date on the latest classical music news, and an excellent classical music community. At MonteVerdi customer feedback is very important to us, and we would like to hear what you like/dislike about the site and the services it offers. Furthermore, we take the current lack of Mac support very seriously and are working on providing service to Mac users in the very near future.

If you have any problems with the site, please email me at bpaylor@webrepassociates.com
Cheers,
Ben

Opus106

A quick search didn't reveal any mention of this stream.

I just discovered that RCO offers over 10 hours (as of this date) of* concert music as a web stream, available as 128 and 256 kbps streams.

http://www.concertgebouworkest.nl/ [Click on the banner that says Start Web Radio (duh!). The player is embedded in a pop-up window.]

http://www.concertgebouworkest.nl/en/nieuws/nieuws-detail.asp?id=335&cnt=6 [details]

*That was on 2008.02.01

Regards,
Navneeth

bhodges

Oh no!   There goes any remaining free time I had... 

;D  ;D  ;D

Seriously, thanks for posting.   :D

--Bruce

J.Z. Herrenberg

Didn't know this. Listening as I write...

Thanks!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Norbeone

Kuhlau

Terrific. :)

I've added the main radio station listings page to my blog's 'Resources' page. ;)

FK

bhodges

Great site, thanks!  Awhile ago I noticed the line-up included music by Eve Beglarian, Leo Ornstein and Hans Abrahamsen.  If that's representative I may be logging on to this site often.

--Bruce

Daedalus

Whilst surfing the web, I came across a classical music radio toolbar that links to around 70 different classical music stations.

The majority of the stations are American and I have never heard of them before.  ;D

Here in England, we only really have BBC Radio 3 (which is excellent) and Classic FM (shudder  :-X).

I've never really listened to radio on the Internet before and I'm fascinated by the amount of classical stations out there.

So, my question is, which stations are worth checking out? And which classical stations do you enjoy listening to generally?

D.

ChamberNut

Navneeth (opus 106) and I both "grew up", at least in terms of our beginning interest in Classical Music, to 'Beethoven Radio' in Hartford, CT.  It was also the first time I participated in any kind of online forum, in which I was able to discuss my new found love of classical music and received many recommendations.  A very memorable time.  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 21, 2009, 11:17:21 AM
Navneeth (opus 106) and I both "grew up", at least in terms of our beginning interest in Classical Music, to 'Beethoven Radio' in Hartford, CT.  It was also the first time I participated in any kind of online forum, in which I was able to discuss my new found love of classical music and received many recommendations.  A very memorable time.  :)

So you listen to Hartford, CT classical station online.  How is it?