Classical Radio Stations and Internet Broadcasts

Started by hornteacher, April 16, 2007, 06:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChamberNut

Quote from: Coopmv on June 21, 2009, 11:44:41 AM

So you listen to Hartford, CT classical station online.  How is it?

Good.  However, they seem to play a limited repertoire, and replay/recycle that repertoire.  Terrific for the casual fan of classical music, but not for the avid fan.  They also tend to play only one or two movements, instead of the entire symphony/string quartet.  Nevertheless, it was a wonderful way for me to become acclimatized with classical music.  I don't listen to the station anymore, but it would be one of the first places I'd recommend a new fan to check out.  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 21, 2009, 11:57:33 AM
Good.  However, they seem to play a limited repertoire, and replay/recycle that repertoire.  Terrific for the casual fan of classical music, but not for the avid fan.  They also tend to play only one or two movements, instead of the entire symphony/string quartet.  Nevertheless, it was a wonderful way for me to become acclimatized with classical music.  I don't listen to the station anymore, but it would be one of the first places I'd recommend a new fan to check out.  :)

I would imagine the CBC must have gobs of classical music programs online or on air, i.e. FM and TV.  No?

Dr. Dread

Well, we have MPR around these parts. You guess what it stands for.   ;D

Coopmv

This is the local classical station I listen to.  Obviously, I can listen via my desktop or this FM tuner ...

http://www.wshu.org/music/music_main.php

ChamberNut

Quote from: Coopmv on June 21, 2009, 12:00:22 PM

I would imagine the CBC must have gobs of classical music programs online or on air, i.e. FM and TV.  No?

Nope, not anymore.  :(  Since last September, they completely "revamped" and trashed a fantastic CBC Radio II, which had mostly classical music programming.  No more classical music on the ride to work the morning, instead replacing it with a quasi-folk program.  The only main classical music programming was reduced to 5 hours a day, from 10AM to 3PM, so again....on the commute back home from work.....no classical.  They kept 'some' of the more popular classical programs such as Saturday Afternoon at The Opera, and Sunday Choral Music. 

The bigwigs at CBC Radio claimed they wanted to appeal to a broader range of Canadians, and have a national station that represents a broader group of Canadians.  Well, as could be predicted, the ratings have tanked since the programming change.  There were mass protests and appeals trying to stop the format change (and these protests are still ongoing), yet the stubborn bigwigs got their way.  They also axed the CBC National Orchestra.  >:(

Coopmv

The classical FM scene in the US is no better.  Even big city like NY has only one commercial classical station, WQXR.  WNCN, a competitor to WQXR, was converted to a rock station by its owner about 15 years ago ...    >:(

ChamberNut

Quote from: Coopmv on June 21, 2009, 12:15:27 PM
The classical FM scene is the US is no better.  Even big city like NY has only one commercial classical station, WQXR.  WNCN, a competitor to WQXR, was converted to a rock station by its owner about 15 years ago ...    >:(

I really don't understand the logic.  There are hundreds and hundreds of rock/pop stations to compete with?

Coopmv

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 21, 2009, 12:18:02 PM
I really don't understand the logic.  There are hundreds and hundreds of rock/pop stations to compete with?

The FM rock station is more profitable to the owner than a classical FM.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Coopmv on June 21, 2009, 12:19:53 PM
The FM rock station is more profitable to the owner than a classical FM.

Yes, but aren't there already too many rock stations, aren't they over saturated?  You would think that someone would want to stay in with the 'niche' classical market?  ???

Coopmv

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 21, 2009, 12:23:25 PM
Yes, but aren't there already too many rock stations, aren't they over saturated?  You would think that someone would want to stay in with the 'niche' classical market?  ???

I am not in the advertising business so I have no clue as to whether companies prefer to run ads on a rock station ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Daedalus on June 21, 2009, 10:00:21 AM
Whilst surfing the web, I came across a classical music radio toolbar that links to around 70 different classical music stations.

The majority of the stations are American and I have never heard of them before.  ;D

Here in England, we only really have BBC Radio 3 (which is excellent) and Classic FM (shudder  :-X).

I've never really listened to radio on the Internet before and I'm fascinated by the amount of classical stations out there.

So, my question is, which stations are worth checking out? And which classical stations do you enjoy listening to generally?

D.

Please post the link you found and I will provide some suggestions ...   ;D

Joe Barron

Philadelphia lost its only classical radio station more than ten years ago. The staff and playlist moved to a local college station, which is now half classical, half jazz. The classical half has the same problem chamber nut says the Hartford station has: limite repertoire, safe choices. The best classical station in the Philadelphia area today is WPRB, Princeton, the university station that broadcasts classical only in the mornings. They play everything, from medieval to avant garde. You'll hear Webern beside Saint-Saens, and one of their hosts plays mostly contemporary music (though his choices also tend to be rather safe).

You can listen at www.wprb.com. Times are 6-11 a.m. Monday-Friday, which would be about 10 a.m.-3 p.m. your time. Great station, yet not so great as BBC 3.

Coopmv

Quote from: Joe Barron on June 21, 2009, 05:50:37 PM
Philadelphia lost its only classical radio station more than ten years ago.

Was the FM license turned over to some rock station?

Daedalus

Quote from: Coopmv on June 21, 2009, 05:31:21 PM
Please post the link you found and I will provide some suggestions ...   ;D

http://www.classical-toolbar.com/

You can delete all of the other links on the toolbar so you are just left with the radio tool. You can also add your own stations if you know the streaming address.

D.

Opus106

Quote from: Daedalus on June 21, 2009, 10:00:21 AM
Whilst surfing the web, I came across a classical music radio toolbar that links to around 70 different classical music stations.

I've never really listened to radio on the Internet before and I'm fascinated by the amount of classical stations out there.

Most media players, like WMP and Real Player in Windows, are equipped to play web streams. That was, in fact, how I discovered "internet radio" in March '06. With nothing to match 'Mozart', I typed 'Beethoven' and found my way to beethoven.com.

Regards,
Navneeth

Joe Barron

Quote from: Coopmv on June 21, 2009, 06:07:29 PM
   Was the FM license turned over to some rock station?

Yep: is was WFLN, 95.7. What's gratifying is that it's has about four different formats in the past ten years, and none of them has been successful. Now it's Ben-FM, which seems to have more staying power than the rest have had.

The Six

www.kusc.org

best classical radio in Los Angeles, nevermind KUSC and KMozart

Cato

I have been impressed by the classical station in Dayton, Ohio (home of the Wright Brothers, and a host of others):

http://www.dpr.org/Listen%20Live.htm

They have not given in much to the mania for "news" from NPR.

Their main announcer had been the former conductor of the Dayton Philharmonic, Charles Wendelken Wilson: unfortunately he died a month ago.  I assume, however, their high standard of quality will remain so.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

dave b

I have no idea how many of you know about this, but I just discovered it and it is most fascinating.

http://www.listenlive.eu/classical.html   

Sef

So I'm in the UK for a few days and so I searched for a Radio station to listen to and got Classic FM (which I've heard of from a "Top 100" complilation CD someone bought me years ago). So far it's full of "pap". Smooth Classics etc. What about the jagged classics - where can I get them from? Got me to thinking that because I can get just about any radio station on the internet from my iPhone, what classical stations are out there (in any country), and how would you describe their content?
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"