Author Topic: Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones  (Read 47791 times)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I'm not insensitive. I'm an INTJ/P.
    • Soundcloud
  • Currently Listening to:
    I am revisiting my CD collection.
Re: Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones
« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2021, 04:52:08 AM »
I have been listening to Taneyev again, re-discovering the music. Suite de concert  Op. 28 for example is pretty epic work.  0:) Taneyev knew how to be epic. Some Bachian counterpoint and people are "blown away".  ;D

It is crazy how much in the shadows of Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov this composer has been, but finally in the 21st century he is getting recognition for his strong craftsmanship.

I need to revisit those String Trios (have the MDG Belcanto Strings disc).

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Yin Yang"

Online OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2021, 07:58:02 AM »
Taneyev: String Trio in D major [Leopold String Trio]

This is a very fine chamber work. The forces employed are obviously minimal but the effect produced is wonderfully expansive. I am already familiar with the composer’s musical language so I am very comfortable here. This is constantly exciting, lyrical and engaging music and music making. The opening movement is a noble affair and I find it to be continually engaging and continually delivering fresh musical ideas. The Scherzo is suitably frisky and exciting movement with a suitably contrasting and engaging Trio section. The slow movement is a wonderful contrast in its tone and mood. Both the musical lines and the harmonies are wonderfully engaging. The final movement is a very fine piece of string trio writing; each voice is equally prominent and the ensemble delivers it very well.

Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed it, Fergus.  :)

As I have already mentioned to you, this early string trio is currently my favourite Taneyev chamber work. And I find that the Leopolds give it just the right pacing!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 08:00:11 AM by OrchestralNut »

Online OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #322 on: September 11, 2021, 07:59:38 AM »
I have been listening to Taneyev again, re-discovering the music. Suite de concert  Op. 28 for example is pretty epic work.  0:) Taneyev knew how to be epic. Some Bachian counterpoint and people are "blown away".  ;D

It is crazy how much in the shadows of Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov this composer has been, but finally in the 21st century he is getting recognition for his strong craftsmanship.

I need to revisit those String Trios (have the MDG Belcanto Strings disc).

Suite de concert is a mighty fine work, Poju. I will have to give it a listen as it has been awhile since I have heard it.  :)