Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones

Started by Cato, September 13, 2007, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 25, 2021, 02:35:03 PM
This completes your opening journey into Taneyev's chamber music. There is more to explore my friend!  :)

Cheers, Ray. I look forward to further exciting explorations of this very fine composer.  :)

Symphonic Addict

I had forgot how wonderful John of Damascus is! A sort of mini-Russian-Requiem. Something ancient, solemn and spiritual inhabits this work. Svetlanov is no rushing along the orchestra, that pace does accentuate the noble spirit of this piece.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Cato

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 20, 2022, 06:07:22 PM
[img width=480 height=426]https://melody.su/upload/resize_cache/iblock/46f/1024_99999_1/46fe2705be3baac51ca2abff30b1e831.jpg[/img]

I had forgot how wonderful John of Damascus is! A sort of mini-Russian-Requiem. Something ancient, solemn and spiritual inhabits this work.
Svetlanov is no rushing along the orchestra, that pace does accentuate the noble spirit of this piece.

Amen!

And in that vein...

Allow me to recommend:

https://www.youtube.com/v/CIYP1xzVF64

For those of you in the New York City area: Be there or be a trapezoid!   8)

https://americansymphony.org/2021-2022/taneyev-reading-of-a-psalm/

Leon Botstein conducted a performance some years ago of Taneyev's marvelous opera The Oresteia.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

André

Coincidentally, I listened to symphonies 1 and 3 yesterday:

Cato

Quote from: André on July 01, 2022, 02:36:14 PM

Coincidentally, I listened to symphonies 1 and 3 yesterday:

Yay Team Taneyev!   8)

My favorite is the Second, followed closely by the Fourth, but the First and Third have great moments, and Polyansky and his Russian crew sail through both works with enthusiasm!

Albion

Quote from: Cato on July 01, 2022, 05:10:37 PMYay Team Taneyev8)

My favorite is the Second, followed closely by the Fourth, but the First and Third have great moments, and Polyansky and his Russian crew sail through both works with enthusiasm!

I'm having a binge on Romantic Russian symphonies, so yet another perilous tower of CDs presents itself ripe for imminent collapse. Starting with Taneyev on Chandos. These are better performances than they're sometimes given credit for and are well-recorded, but nobody plays this repertoire now: it's well worth getting to know (No.2 was my introduction to Taneyev back in the LP days, and it is such a gorgeous work).

Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin, Glazunov and Lyapunov are lined up. Tchaikovsky can wait on the subs-bench for the moment. I'm still stuck on Taneyev, so therefore not advancing much further into Russian scribbles until I have the mental capacity to remember what I've just listened to (some hope of that). No.2 is a truly great work with such memorable tunes and with all the thrills and spills of Glazunov's No.5. I never understand why Taneyev got the reputation as a "boring academic" when the evidence roundly refutes it...
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Albion on February 21, 2023, 06:14:50 AMI'm having a binge on Romantic Russian symphonies, so yet another perilous tower of CDs presents itself ripe for imminent collapse. Starting with Taneyev on Chandos. These are better performances than they're sometimes given credit for and are well-recorded, but nobody plays this repertoire now: it's well worth getting to know (No.2 was my introduction to Taneyev back in the LP days, and it is such a gorgeous work).

Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin, Glazunov and Lyapunov are lined up. Tchaikovsky can wait on the subs-bench for the moment. I'm still stuck on Taneyev, so therefore not advancing much further into Russian scribbles until I have the mental capacity to remember what I've just listened to (some hope of that). No.2 is a truly great work with such memorable tunes and with all the thrills and spills of Glazunov's No.5. I never understand why Taneyev got the reputation as a "boring academic" when the evidence roundly refutes it...

I would say Taneyev is my third favourite Russian composer after Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky.

And I do absolutely love the 2nd Symphony, it's my favourite of the four.

Albion

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 21, 2023, 06:21:20 AMI would say Taneyev is my third favourite Russian composer after Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky.

And I do absolutely love the 2nd Symphony, it's my favourite of the four.

No.2 is just bloody glorious, and Polyansky delivers. My prospective listening also includes Tchaikovsky, Scriabin, Steinberg, Prokofiev and Shostakovich (doing the rounds again, since my memory is so shot) so I may well be dead by the time I get through it all...

::)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Albion on February 21, 2023, 08:46:51 AMNo.2 is just bloody glorious, and Polyansky delivers. My prospective listening also includes Tchaikovsky, Scriabin, Steinberg, Prokofiev and Shostakovich (doing the rounds again, since my memory is so shot) so I may well be dead by the time I get through it all...

::)

I am not very familiar with the Polyansky performances of the symphonies, although I think I may have sampled them well over a decade ago. I have the Sanderling performances.

Brahmsian

I have so many new purchased recordings to listen to that have arrived over the last few weeks....but I am taking a break to revisit this fabulous set, as I had a hankering for Taneyev:

Now listening to Disc 4 of this set:

String Quartet No. 6 in B flat major, Op. 19 (1905)
String Quartet No. 9 in A major (1883)

Albion

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 30, 2023, 06:43:43 AMI have so many new purchased recordings to listen to that have arrived over the last few weeks...

Taneyev has a great voice, as have Lyapunov, Liadov and Glazunov but they're never heard in concert or recital. Even Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov are rarely programmed now beyond a few works apiece. There's no hope for Glinka, Borodin or Balakirev...  ::)

foxandpeng

Quote from: Albion on March 31, 2023, 12:03:03 PMTaneyev has a great voice, as have Lyapunov, Liadov and Glazunov but they're never heard in concert or recital. Even Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov are rarely programmed now beyond a few works apiece. There's no hope for Glinka, Borodin or Balakirev...  ::)

If you keep throwing additional Russians at me, I'm never going to get out of their reach. Four names there who are almost undiscovered for me, aside from Taneyev who I know poorly. Even the four I know, need much revisiting.

Taneyev is fairly high on my 'to do' list, however.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brahmsian

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 31, 2023, 01:02:01 PMTaneyev is fairly high on my 'to do' list, however.

How happy I am to hear this, Danny:)

Cato

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 31, 2023, 01:02:01 PMIf you keep throwing additional Russians at me, I'm never going to get out of their reach. Four names there who are almost undiscovered for me, aside from Taneyev who I know poorly. Even the four I know, need much revisiting.

Allow me to recommend something for this season of Lent and Easter: an cantata full of excitement, as well as mysticism!

Albion

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 31, 2023, 01:02:01 PMIf you keep throwing additional Russians at me, I'm never going to get out of their reach. Four names there who are almost undiscovered for me, aside from Taneyev who I know poorly. Even the four I know, need much revisiting.

Tell me about it: one of the innumerable CD towers in my bedroom (to which I am confined, for health rather than legal reasons) is Russian (Glinka through to Shostakovich) and threatens to collapse at any time. There is just so much gorgeous repertoire which is totally ignored. I'll be found dead underneath a pile of plastic and simply be shovelled off along with the same. DO seriously give Taneyev a try, especially symphonies 2 and 4, both are splendid and the Chandos disc is good as there is. I gave up caring about how much stuff (CDs, scores and books) I have years ago when I started to become increasingly immobile and now I just add to the general chaos to the point where I can't bloody find anything. I recently discovered Bax buried with Sullivan, Biber, Poulenc, Tovey, Scott, John Adams and Tchaikovsky (not that I could excavate any of it without causing terminal injury)...  ::)

foxandpeng

Quote from: Cato on March 31, 2023, 01:16:46 PMAllow me to recommend something for this season of Lent and Easter: an cantata full of excitement, as well as mysticism!

Thank you, Cato. This fits a variety of interest areas for me!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Quote from: Albion on March 31, 2023, 01:31:45 PMTell me about it: one of the innumerable CD towers in my bedroom (to which I am confined, for health rather than legal reasons) is Russian (Glinka through to Shostakovich) and threatens to collapse at any time. There is just so much gorgeous repertoire which is totally ignored. I'll be found dead underneath a pile of plastic and simply be shovelled off along with the same. DO seriously give Taneyev a try, especially symphonies 2 and 4, both are splendid and the Chandos disc is good as there is. I gave up caring about how much stuff (CDs, scores and books) I have years ago when I started to become increasingly immobile and now I just add to the general chaos to the point where I can't bloody find anything. I recently discovered Bax buried with Sullivan, Biber, Poulenc, Tovey, Scott, John Adams and Tchaikovsky (not that I could excavate any of it without causing terminal injury)...  ::)

Haha. That made me laugh.

I'm happily overwhelmed by the sheer breadth and volume of discoveries yet to be made. I'm more than happy to continue the exploration, and Taneyev is most certainly in my sights. Thanks for the specific recs.

I do wish I had more than one set of ears, however.

Tolstoy

Albion

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 31, 2023, 01:52:53 PMHaha. That made me laugh.

I'm happily overwhelmed by the sheer breadth and volume of discoveries yet to be made. I'm more than happy to continue the exploration, and Taneyev is most certainly in my sights. Thanks for the specific recs.

I do wish I had more than one set of ears, however.

My bedroom resembles the old HMV in Oxford Street, only not so organised and compressed into a 6x10 foot space. Everything (over 5000 CDs) is just piled up randomly, most of it on the floor, under the bed and on my desk. I have no clue where most things are now, but I know that I have them somewhere...

foxandpeng

Quote from: Albion on March 31, 2023, 02:45:23 PMMy bedroom resembles the old HMV in Oxford Street, only not so organised and compressed into a 6x10 foot space. Everything (over 5000 CDs) is just piled up randomly, most of it on the floor, under the bed and on my desk. I have no clue where most things are now, but I know that I have them somewhere...

This encourages me.

First recent listen to Taneyev 2 and 4 just now.

Tolstoy

Albion

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 01, 2023, 05:39:23 PMThis encourages me.

;D 

First recent listen to Taneyev 2 and 4 just now.

I don't have this Naxos series, but I have very fond memories of the cantata "John of Damascus" from the LP days and would like to revisit it. What's your impression of these Sanderling performances and the recording quality? If they're good, I'll probably buy the box and then probably lose it under another heap of CDs...