Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones

Started by Cato, September 13, 2007, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Cross-posted from the "What are you listening to...." thread.

I'm joining the Taneyev symphonies party, as it has been awhile since I listened to these.  I know I am in the minority, but the 1st symphony is my favourite of the symphonies.  Recognize the theme (Russian folk song) in the final movement, used by Stravinsky in Petruska (Tableau IV)?

Symphony No. 1 in E minor (1874)

kyjo

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 26, 2021, 05:03:30 AM
Cross-posted from the "What are you listening to...." thread.

I'm joining the Taneyev symphonies party, as it has been awhile since I listened to these.  I know I am in the minority, but the 1st symphony is my favourite of the symphonies.  Recognize the theme (Russian folk song) in the final movement, used by Stravinsky in Petruska (Tableau IV)?

Symphony No. 1 in E minor (1874)

Interesting! I've admittedly never even listened to the 1st Symphony, having been put off by some negative reviews. I'll give it a listen!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

The 4th is simply unbeatable to me, by far his most accomplished example in the genre. The Chandos recording of it is a real stunner.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brahmsian

Well, after re-acquainting myself with the four symphonies, it is clear that Number 1 and 2 are the ones I vastly prefer.  I just find them more tuneful, melodic and less stuffy and stodgy.

1,2,4,3 in order of preference.  I like the 4th, I just don't love it like the 1st and 2nd.  The 3rd is still a miss for me.

kyjo

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 27, 2021, 07:24:59 AM

Well, after re-acquainting myself with the four symphonies, it is clear that Number 1 and 2 are the ones I vastly prefer.  I just find them more tuneful, melodic and less stuffy and stodgy.

1,2,4,3 in order of preference.  I like the 4th, I just don't love it like the 1st and 2nd.  The 3rd is still a miss for me.

Have you heard the Philharmonia/Jarvi recording of the 4th on Chandos?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on May 27, 2021, 08:26:27 PM
Have you heard the Philharmonia/Jarvi recording of the 4th on Chandos?

Admittedly, I have not Kyle.  My first exposure (over ten years ago) to the Taneyev symphonies were through Polyansky, and it was not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.  :-\

I do however, really enjoy the Sanderling/Novosibirsk recordings.

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 28, 2020, 11:06:37 AM
String Works et al - Taneyev Quartet vs. Carpe Diem SQ?

Hi All - just coming around to re-listen to my Taneyev collection, have only a half dozen CDs (and would like to cull and add - have some duplications).  Present collection includes: 1) String Quartets, first 2 volumes w/ Carpe Diem; 2) Complete Quintets w/ the Taneyev Quartet; 3) Complete String Trios, own both the Belcanto Strings & the Leopold Trio - could cull out one; and 4) Piano Quintet & Trio w/ Repin (duplicated in other recordings owned). 

In perusing Amazon USA today, I saw that Northern Flowers is now offering a 10-disc box w/ the Taneyev Quartet at the great price!

SO, having many who have posted back and forth for years in this thread about the opening challenge above and w/ Carpe Diem now having 5 Naxos Volumes (not sure if more have been released?), which group is favored - attached are reviews of the first 3 Carpe Diem SQ recordings w/ comparison to the others - seems like a 'coin flip' for the reviewers?  Dave :)

Bumping this for Aligreto (Fergus).  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 28, 2020, 11:06:37 AM

Well, I pulled the trigger and just purchased this box set via Amazon Canada, even though I already have the quartet individual discs with the Taneyev SQ.  So, I already have half this box.  However, the price was quite good so I felt it was the right thing to do.  :D

Here are the contents on the ten discs:

Brahmsian

Listening to:

String Quartet # 3 in D minor, Op. 7 (1896)
String Quartet # 8 in C major (1883)

Wonderful performances, even though the sound/recording quality isn't as great as the Carpe Diem SQ, it does not detract from the enjoyment whatsoever.

SonicMan46

Taneyev's Symphonies - Sanderling on Naxos vs. Polyansky on Chandos - at present, I own a lot of Taneyev's chamber works but not a symphony set - there has been a LOT of discussion of these works in this thread and in the listening one, especially recently.  The sets below are the complete ones usually discussed.  There is a nice short but not critical discussion on MusicWeb HERE

From our members' posts, Sanderling seems to be the favorite, but in the last few days, I've read a dozen or so reviews of these recordings (attached for those interested) - some of the comments, 'Taneyev was not a great symphonist', 'his orchestral composing is a mishmash of styles', 'Sanderling is a stodgy conductor', 'Naxos sound is poorer that Chandos', and many other comments, positive and negative - maybe a future set will bash all of these complaints?  If I had to summarize these reviews, the conclusion is a 'coin flip' based on availability, price, performance and sound.

At present, I'm listening to a Spotify playlist of these 4 recordings and am enjoying both, and owning 2 vs. 4 CDs is not a big deal for space (although 2 is better for me) - so just curious for those who have listened to both conductors in these symphonies, are the differences that great?  Thanks - Dave :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 28, 2021, 08:28:06 AM
Taneyev's Symphonies - Sanderling on Naxos vs. Polyansky on Chandos - at present, I own a lot of Taneyev's chamber works but not a symphony set - there has been a LOT of discussion of these works in this thread and in the listening one, especially recently.  The sets below are the complete ones usually discussed.  There is a nice short but not critical discussion on MusicWeb HERE

From our members' posts, Sanderling seems to be the favorite, but in the last few days, I've read a dozen or so reviews of these recordings (attached for those interested) - some of the comments, 'Taneyev was not a great symphonist', 'his orchestral composing is a mishmash of styles', 'Sanderling is a stodgy conductor', 'Naxos sound is poorer that Chandos', and many other comments, positive and negative - maybe a future set will bash all of these complaints?  If I had to summarize these reviews, the conclusion is a 'coin flip' based on availability, price, performance and sound.

At present, I'm listening to a Spotify playlist of these 4 recordings and am enjoying both, and owning 2 vs. 4 CDs is not a big deal for space (although 2 is better for me) - so just curious for those who have listened to both conductors in these symphonies, are the differences that great?  Thanks - Dave :)

Hi Dave,

If I were to recommend a "complete set", I would definitely say Sanderling/Naxos, over Polyansky/Chandos.  My first exposure to Taneyev symphonies (a long time ago) was with Polyansky, and it honestly didn't make a very good impression.  But, those are my own impressions.  :)

However, there seems to be a lot more recordings of the 4th symphony, and in this particular symphony....it seems Neeme Jarvi is really highly touted.  I can't speak to it myself as I haven't heard it, but it seems to be well received.  And, it is coupled with the great Oresteia Overture.

So in conclusion, my recommendation:  Sanderling/Naxos, but perhaps get Jarvi for the 4th and overture as well.   :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 28, 2021, 08:34:16 AM
Hi Dave,

If I were to recommend a "complete set", I would definitely say Sanderling/Naxos, over Polyansky/Chandos.  My first exposure to Taneyev symphonies (a long time ago) was with Polyansky, and it honestly didn't make a very good impression.  But, those are my own impressions.  :)

However, there seems to be a lot more recordings of the 4th symphony, and in this particular symphony....it seems Neeme Jarvi is really highly touted.  I can't speak to it myself as I haven't heard it, but it seems to be well received.  And, it is coupled with the great Oresteia Overture.

So in conclusion, my recommendation:  Sanderling/Naxos, but perhaps get Jarvi for the 4th and overture as well.   :)

Thanks Ray - I've been leaning toward Sanderling for a while, but now listening to Polyansky on headphones and not bad at all.  Jarvi was mentioned a number of times for the 4th symphony in the reviews I attached, so will take a look on Amazon.  Dave :0

Cato

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 28, 2021, 08:34:16 AM
Hi Dave,

Yes!

Many thanks for the interesting discussion of the symphonies!

Speaking of The Oresteia, incredible and sad to say that Leon Botstein's wonderful recording of the opera from c. 8 years ago is still not available on a CD set!  Mp3 download only!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

aligreto

Through the welcome intervention of OrchestralNut I have now subscribed to this thread. I had not, until very recently, heard a note of the music of Taneyev. I had recently, through the good graces of another fellow member, been given a recommendation for the following CD:

I, very soon afterwards, bought that CD and I was immediately attracted to and engrossed by this music. Here is a cross post from the Listening Thread of my initial reactions to listening to that CD:

Symphony No. 1 [T. Sanderling]: This is new music for me. My first impression is that it is very lyrical but quite deliberate and emphatic music, without being assertive or overbearing, and it can be quite thrilling and engaging. It is packed full of big themes throughout the work. Taneyev has a very unique voice and musical language and the orchestration is excellent. I like the musical language and the musical style of this work. What a remarkable and mature work from an eighteen year old man.

Symphony No. 4 [T. Sanderling]: This is a wonderful sound world; a composer with a distinct voice of his own and he has wonderful things to say. The musical language is very accessible and very appealing and engaging. This is music that is very assertive and is making a very big statement. The orchestration is wonderful. The performances are appropriately ardent. This is a really terrific, free flowing work that is very well presented here. The music just constantly flows. The final movement is really just a joy to hear!

As a further consequence of the welcome intervention of OrchestralNut I have now purchased the following CD....

....with the Jarvi version of No. 4 to follow as it has also been recommended to me.

I also have no doubt that the Chamber Music will duly follow  ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 28, 2021, 08:28:06 AM

FWIW, in contrast to our Ray, I enjoy the Polyansky very well.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on May 30, 2021, 06:32:31 AM
Through the welcome intervention of OrchestralNut I have now subscribed to this thread. I had not, until very recently, heard a note of the music of Taneyev. I had recently, through the good graces of another fellow member, been given a recommendation for the following CD:

I, very soon afterwards, bought that CD and I was immediately attracted to and engrossed by this music. Here is a cross post from the Listening Thread of my initial reactions to listening to that CD:

As a further consequence of the welcome intervention of OrchestralNut I have now purchased the following CD....

....with the Jarvi version of No. 4 to follow as it has also been recommended to me.

I also have no doubt that the Chamber Music will duly follow  ;)

If I could locate that chamber music box, I'd reel it in.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2021, 10:31:03 AM

I am glad that you approve, Karl  8)

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2021, 10:31:03 AM

Good idea.
I just did.
[Asin]B07WW3SL67[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian