Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones

Started by Cato, September 13, 2007, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 02, 2021, 06:25:36 AM
Thanks for sharing your thorough thoughts and analysis. I too particularly love the opening movement of this symphony, and the contrast between the pensive introduction to the transition into exuberance.

Thank you, my friend, your encouragement in my new found odyssey has been both positive and gratifying.  ;)

Karl Henning

Well, I have completed my first survey of the Chamber Music box, and thoroughly rewarding it was!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Taneyev: Symphony No. 4 [T. Sanderling]

This is my first time to hear this work. From the opening bars, one immediately feels that one is in for something special here. And so it proves as the movement and the work progresses. What strikes one immediately is the quality of the craftsmanship of the writing, scoring and orchestration skills that are employed.
The forward momentum drive of the opening movement is wonderful; I really like how it sweeps along effortlessly. So also is the excitement, tension and drama employed. The slow, second movement, is a wonderful contrast to the first in terms of tempo and tone. It opens as wonderfully lyrical and poignant. It continues in this vein with some disconcerting passages in the lower register strings, proving colour, variety and interest. The orchestration, once again, is wonderful and the strings from this ensemble sound really gorgeous in this warm recording. The Scherzo sounds lively and vital and I really like the scoring for the wind instruments. This is a quirky and exciting, but a very compelling piece of musical composition. I really like it. The general sweep of the final movement is exhilarating in its constant, forceful drive, and it is well driven here. Once again, the orchestration is really excellent and effective. The drive to the conclusion is very effective and satisfying.
This is a really terrific work and, if you have not heard it yet, I strongly recommend that you do so immediately!! I cannot recommend it highly enough!! 

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 03, 2021, 01:03:23 PM
Well, I have completed my first survey of the Chamber Music box, and thoroughly rewarding it was!

I will be embarking upon the Chamber Music voyage soon and I am looking forward to it with anticipation and excitement.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on July 07, 2021, 06:09:39 AM

This is my first time to hear this work. From the opening bars, one immediately feels that one is in for something special here. And so it proves as the movement and the work progresses. What strikes one immediately is the quality of the craftsmanship of the writing, scoring and orchestration skills that are employed.
The forward momentum drive of the opening movement is wonderful; I really like how it sweeps along effortlessly. So also is the excitement, tension and drama employed. The slow, second movement, is a wonderful contrast to the first in terms of tempo and tone. It opens as wonderfully lyrical and poignant. It continues in this vein with some disconcerting passages in the lower register strings, proving colour, variety and interest. The orchestration, once again, is wonderful and the strings from this ensemble sound really gorgeous in this warm recording. The Scherzo sounds lively and vital and I really like the scoring for the wind instruments. This is a quirky and exciting, but a very compelling piece of musical composition. I really like it. The general sweep of the final movement is exhilarating in its constant, forceful drive, and it is well driven here. Once again, the orchestration is really excellent and effective. The drive to the conclusion is very effective and satisfying.
This is a really terrific work and, if you have not heard it yet, I strongly recommend that you do so immediately!! I cannot recommend it highly enough!!

Fergus, I have a difficult time deciphering if you like the work or not? Lol  ;)

You have a better impression than I do. I "like" the 4th, but don't love it. I do prefer it to the 3rd, but I vastly prefer the 1st and 2nd symphonies.

I'm fully aware that I am the oddball here and in the minority as most people acknowledge the 4th symphony as his best symphony (critics and listeners alike).

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 07, 2021, 06:40:51 AM

You have a better impression than I do. I "like" the 4th, but don't love it. I do prefer it to the 3rd, but I vastly prefer the 1st and 2nd symphonies.

I'm fully aware that I am the oddball here and in the minority as most people acknowledge the 4th symphony as his best symphony (critics and listeners alike).

Not for a minute, Ray.
To me, everything in terms of craftsmanship, musical language and orchestration simply let him here, Symphonically. For me it was a natural progression with an inevitable result. That does not take away from the quality of the preceding Symphonies for me.

Now, will I think the same in one month's time or one year's time? Who knows.  :)

Undersea

Quote from: aligreto on July 07, 2021, 06:09:39 AM

Thanks for your positive Review - I own that Disc but I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet: I will try to get to it soon upon your recommendation. :)
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

aligreto

Taneyev: String Quartet No. 7 [Taneyev Quartet]

I am reliably informed by another member who is far more knowledgeable regarding this composer's music i.e. Ray aka OrchestralNut, that the String Quartets Nos. 7, 8 & 9 were early works and not published in his lifetime. As I have a penchant for listening chronologically to such a cycle I begin my Taneyev Chamber Music journey with these early works predating the published String Quartets Nos. 1-6.

String Quartet No. 7 has a relatively straightforward musical language but I find the music to be charming, lyrical and engaging. The slow movement is particularly attractive and appealing. One can hear the composer probing and experimenting somewhat with the language and the voices. Taneyev obviously had very high musical standards not to have published this work: I think that it is very fine.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on July 14, 2021, 01:56:53 AM
Taneyev: String Quartet No. 7 [Taneyev Quartet]

I am reliably informed by another member who is far more knowledgeable regarding this composer's music i.e. Ray aka OrchestralNut, that the String Quartets Nos. 7, 8 & 9 were early works and not published in his lifetime. As I have a penchant for listening chronologically to such a cycle I begin my Taneyev Chamber Music journey with these early works predating the published String Quartets Nos. 1-6.

String Quartet No. 7 has a relatively straightforward musical language but I find the music to be charming, lyrical and engaging. The slow movement is particularly attractive and appealing. One can hear the composer probing and experimenting somewhat with the language and the voices. Taneyev obviously had very high musical standards not to have published this work: I think that it is very fine.

Excellent to read this, Fergus. I'm glad you are starting the SQ journey and appreciate you sharing your impressions.

From the *self-proclaimed Vice President of the Taneyev Society, Good Music Guide Chapter.

*Pending approval from the President and CEO, Leo (Cato)  ;D

Brahmsian

Incidentally Fergus, do you hear the recording glitch in the Scherzo movement of the 7th quartet? You will notice the faint echoing of the theme prior to the theme actually being played. Around the 37 second mark, and in the subsequent repeats as well.

Brahmsian

My favourite movements of the 7th quartet are the 3rd and final movements.

It bodes well if you like the 7th, Fergus, as the 8th and 9th already show marked improvements and then a fairly huge leap forward with the 1st in B flat minor.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 03, 2021, 01:03:23 PM

Karl,

Might I ask what were some of standouts for you, in particular? Or are more repeated listens required to make this assessment?

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 14, 2021, 05:03:05 AM
Excellent to read this, Fergus. I'm glad you are starting the SQ journey and appreciate you sharing your impressions.

Thank you for the gift of these works and your continued encouragement in this wonderful odyssey  8)

QuoteFrom the *self-proclaimed Vice President of the Taneyev Society, Good Music Guide Chapter.

*Pending approval from the President and CEO, Leo (Cato)  ;D

You are too modest, my friend  ;)

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 14, 2021, 06:23:20 AM
Incidentally Fergus, do you hear the recording glitch in the Scherzo movement of the 7th quartet? You will notice the faint echoing of the theme prior to the theme actually being played. Around the 37 second mark, and in the subsequent repeats as well.

I must be honest, Ray, and say that I did not notice anything. This must mean that it is a minor flaw or that, given age, my hearing is deteriorating  ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on July 14, 2021, 07:50:08 AM

I must be honest, Ray, and say that I did not notice anything. This must mean that it is a minor flaw or that, given age, my hearing is deteriorating  ;D

If you listened on headphones, you might be able to hear it.

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 14, 2021, 09:00:35 AM
If you listened on headphones, you might be able to hear it.

Will try that later, Ray.

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 14, 2021, 06:34:26 AM
Karl,

Might I ask what were some of standouts for you, in particular? Or are more repeated listens required to make this assessment?

In this inaugural survey, Ray, the immediate takeaways were the Pf Quintet, the Pf Quartet, the late trios and the string quintets. I do need to go back and unpack the quartets so that I can better assess for your query (I should have answered similarly if you had asked after the Holmboe or Weinberg quartets, e.g.), though I did indeed find the whole box an aural delight.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 15, 2021, 06:51:37 AM
In this inaugural survey, Ray, the immediate takeaways were the Pf Quintet, the Pf Quartet, the late trios and the string quintets. I do need to go back and unpack the quartets so that I can better assess for your query (I should have answered similarly if you had asked after the Holmboe or Weinberg quartets, e.g.), though I did indeed find the whole box an aural delight.

Excellent, thank you Karl for the feedback and glad you enjoyed the box set as a whole.  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 15, 2021, 07:09:20 AM
Excellent, thank you Karl for the feedback and glad you enjoyed the box set as a whole.  :)

Thanks for keeping the Tent's tones twirbling, VP Ray!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 14, 2021, 06:23:20 AM

I still cannot hear it, Ray, but I am unconcerned about this. Perhaps you wore it out through constant playing before you sent me the CD.  ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on July 15, 2021, 02:36:15 PM
I still cannot hear it, Ray, but I am unconcerned about this. Perhaps you wore it out through constant playing before you sent me the CD.  ;D

Ha ha! 🤣 Perhaps, regardless of whether you hear it or not, it most definitely doesn't affect the performance or enjoyment of the work.