Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones

Started by Cato, September 13, 2007, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Taneyev: String Quartet No. 8 [Taneyev Quartet]

I really like the opening bars of the first movement on the lower register strings. The music is exciting, always lyrical and very appealing. This theme and tone continue throughout the movement but there is plenty of variation and variety to keep one's interest continually alive. The music is well driven with great energy. The slow movement has some very beguiling and poignant music with simply wonderful harmonic and contrapuntal writing. It is laden with a wonderful depth of intensity of emotion. This is very compelling string quartet writing. The third movement, Minuetto, is charming and elegant but it is also robust in its delivery. The Finale is buoyant, intense and optimistic in tone.

Once again I cannot understand why Taneyev never published this work. To my ear, this sounds like mature and wonderfully innovative and exciting string quartet writing by any standard.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on July 16, 2021, 04:23:33 AM
Taneyev: String Quartet No. 8 [Taneyev Quartet]

I really like the opening bars of the first movement on the lower register strings. The music is exciting, always lyrical and very appealing. This theme and tone continue throughout the movement but there is plenty of variation and variety to keep one's interest continually alive. The music is well driven with great energy. The slow movement has some very beguiling and poignant music with simply wonderful harmonic and contrapuntal writing. It is laden with a wonderful depth of intensity of emotion. This is very compelling string quartet writing. The third movement, Minuetto, is charming and elegant but it is also robust in its delivery. The Finale is buoyant, intense and optimistic in tone.

Once again I cannot understand why Taneyev never published this work. To my ear, this sounds like mature and wonderfully innovative and exciting string quartet writing by any standard.

You share very similar thoughts and impressions here as I do, Fergus.

It is simply a real head scratcher as to why he did not publish his first three quartets (No. 7-9) as they are of high quality.

While the 7th quartet saw my favourite movements 3rd and 4th, the 8th quartet sees the flip side of the 1st and 2nd movements being my favourites.

In particular, a very heartfelt and gripping slow movement.

The 3rd movement minuet definitely seems to draw inspiration from Mozart.

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 16, 2021, 05:09:25 AM

The 3rd movement minuet definitely seems to draw inspiration from Mozart.

I understand that Taneyev shared his reverence for Mozart with one of his teachers, Peter Tchaikovsky.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on July 16, 2021, 07:03:03 AM
I understand that Taneyev shared his reverence for Mozart with one of his teachers, Peter Tchaikovsky.

Yes, that's absolutely correct!

aligreto

Taneyev: String Quartet No. 9 [Taneyev Quartet]

What a wonderful opening this work has. It is lusciously lyrical and is filled with wonderfully joyous passages. The tone becomes a little darker and more poignant as the movement progresses but the cycle comes full circle. It is still richly rewarding and satisfying music. The slow movement is divine, plaintive lament with a rich tapestry of harmonies throughout. The scherzo is a bit of a contradiction for me; it is simultaneously both lively and tame. I really like this juxtaposition. The final movement is also very fine and I really like the counterpoint writing. That certain level of poignancy that pervades this work is evident here also along with good tension and excitement and I find it to be very attractive and appealing music.

Whatever he may have thought about String Quartets Nos. 7 & 8 Taneyev was simply nuts not to have published this work. I would really like to know his reasons for not doing so. 

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on July 17, 2021, 12:20:24 PM
Taneyev: String Quartet No. 9 [Taneyev Quartet]

What a wonderful opening this work has. It is lusciously lyrical and is filled with wonderfully joyous passages. The tone becomes a little darker and more poignant as the movement progresses but the cycle comes full circle. It is still richly rewarding and satisfying music. The slow movement is divine, plaintive lament with a rich tapestry of harmonies throughout. The scherzo is a bit of a contradiction for me; it is simultaneously both lively and tame. I really like this juxtaposition. The final movement is also very fine and I really like the counterpoint writing. That certain level of poignancy that pervades this work is evident here also along with good tension and excitement and I find it to be very attractive and appealing music.

Whatever he may have thought about String Quartets Nos. 7 & 8 Taneyev was simply nuts not to have published this work. I would really like to know his reasons for not doing so.

I'm on holidays at the moment, but just taking a few minutes during morning coffee to say that I appreciated you sharing thoughts and impressions on the 9th quartet. It's definitely one of my favourites of the nine quartets, with the Scherzo being the favourite Scherzo of the group of nine.  :)

Had Taneyev lived a longer full life, I suspect he might have reconsidered and end up publishing these three quartets.

And now, the published 1-6 await your ears.  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 18, 2021, 03:19:14 AM

And now, the published 1-6 await your ears.  ;D

I can't wait!
Enjoy your holiday, Ray  :)

aligreto

Taneyev: String Quartet No. 1 [Taneyev Quartet]

I really like the forlorn lament that is the opening movement. It is filled with poignancy and emotional power. The writing is superb. The same powerful emotional tone pervades the second movement and the harmonies are simply glorious; such superb writing. The third movement is terrifically exciting as the music sweeps along in a flurry. Did Taneyev only write sublime slow movements? The fourth movement would definitely suggest so! The final movement is filled with light hearted buoyancy, gaiety and fun which is a wonderful contrast in tone to finish with; a note of optimism, perhaps?

aligreto

Taneyev: String Quartet No. 2 [Taneyev Quartet]

I really like the opening sequence. A keen sense of excitement pervades throughout the first movement. This is based on a solid foundation of strong melodic and harmonic writing. I particularly like the cello voice here. There is a bit more of a dark, menacing, threatening tone in the scherzo. The trio section is wonderful and is a fine contrast. This time I am appreciating the viola work. The music in the slow movement is always very intense. A sense of poignancy also pervades the music. The occasional use of particular recurring themes also adds to the degree of tension. This is very fine string quartet writing. The final movement bursts into a dance-like jaunt. It is filled with energy, excitement and it is well driven.

aligreto

Taneyev: String Quartet No. 3 [Taneyev Quartet]

This is a two movement work. Two words immediately come to mind on hearing the opening movement in terms of style i.e. contemplative and conversational. I find this style of presentation to be very engaging, particularly in Chamber Music. The music is sometimes intense as the voices engage argumentatively with one another. The form of the final movement is a theme and a set of variations. The main theme is beguiling and the variations are inventive, intriguing and very entertaining.

aligreto

Taneyev: String Quartet No. 4 [Taneyev Quartet]

I really like the tone that is set from the opening bars. The relatively sparse opening gradually unfolds revealing a wonderful tapestry of sound. This sonic world is very exciting and engaging. The lower register strings have great presence and are quite engaging and intriguing. The music in the first movement is very intriguing and it is often well driven. The relatively short second movement is wonderfully whimsical and flitting. The third, slow movement is a wonderful exercise in harmonic and contrapuntal writing. It delivers very engaging and atmospheric music. The final movement is very exciting and interesting in its musical language. There is wonderful tension and excitement in the movement and it is very well executed and driven by the ensemble. Like the rest of work the inherent lyricism does not suffer as a result of the progressive musical language. The performances throughout the work are indeed always compelling and sometimes exquisite.

aligreto

Taneyev: String Quartet No. 5 [Taneyev Quartet]

The opening of the first movement is wonderfully light and charming. There is the sound of a certain naivete about it but the underlying harmonies belie this initial impression. Anyway, simplicity is good as far as I am concerned. However, the musical language becomes more involved and demanding as the movement progresses. The slow movement is very engaging in the opening encounter of a question and answer session and subsequently the conversational aspect of the work. I am particularly drawn to the cello line. The third movement is quite beguiling and I like its light hearted tone. There is a drive in the final movement that is both energetic and exciting. This is not overtly forceful but rather a muted intensity that is both intriguing and enjoyable. There is also a constant sense of elegance throughout this presentation.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: aligreto on August 22, 2021, 01:58:47 AM
Taneyev: String Quartet No. 5 [Taneyev Quartet]

The opening of the first movement is wonderfully light and charming. There is the sound of a certain naivete about it but the underlying harmonies belie this initial impression. Anyway, simplicity is good as far as I am concerned. However, the musical language becomes more involved and demanding as the movement progresses. The slow movement is very engaging in the opening encounter of a question and answer session and subsequently the conversational aspect of the work. I am particularly drawn to the cello line. The third movement is quite beguiling and I like its light hearted tone. There is a drive in the final movement that is both energetic and exciting. This is not overtly forceful but rather a muted intensity that is both intriguing and enjoyable. There is also a constant sense of elegance throughout this presentation.

You're finishing this Taneyev traversal, aren't you? The 6th one is only missing, right? This is a cycle I definitely need to revisit any soon. His expert craftsmanship, mastery of counterpoint and harmony into these stunning works are worth revisitation.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

aligreto

Taneyev: String Quartet No. 6 [Taneyev Quartet]

I like the staccato opening of this work. It creates a sense of tension. However we soon transcend into a gloriously lyrical passage which prevails for the duration of the movement. I really like the musical language. I find it to be very engaging. All of this lends to a slightly disconcerting but quite engaging tone. The slow movement is a wonderful combination of all of the above but also coupled with, and augmented by, a strong sense of poignancy. The harmonies/dissonances are wonderful. One becomes completely absorbed by and immersed in this very emotional, atmospheric and intense music. The dancing rhythms of the third movement are a massive contrast to the intensity of the slow movement. One is having one's spirit lifted here. There are some dark clouds in this sunny sky but the ebullient and buoyant feelings dominate. The final movement is a busy, interesting and engaging piece of music. It is drawing together strands of what has gone before and weaves them into a suitable summary and conclusion.  I find my ear being drawn, once again, to the viola and cello lines throughout this music.

aligreto

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 22, 2021, 04:18:19 PM
You're finishing this Taneyev traversal, aren't you? The 6th one is only missing, right? This is a cycle I definitely need to revisit any soon. His expert craftsmanship, mastery of counterpoint and harmony into these stunning works are worth revisitation.

As you can see I have recently completed the cycle. It has been a thoroughly wonderful and illuminating odyssey. I can only endorse your desire to revisit this amazing music. Happy listening.

I still have the Trios to look forward to.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on September 04, 2021, 08:12:34 AM
As you can see I have recently completed the cycle. It has been a thoroughly wonderful and illuminating odyssey. I can only endorse your desire to revisit this amazing music. Happy listening.

I still have the Trios to look forward to.

So happy to hear this, Fergus. It has been wonderful to read your thorough impressions of each quartet!

I do hope you'll also equally enjoy the string trios.  :)

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 05, 2021, 03:13:48 AM

I do hope you'll also equally enjoy the string trios.  :)

I have no doubt that I will enjoy them, Ray, and I am very much looking forward to them.  :)

71 dB

Somehow I only have String Quartets 1-4 and the first to 2 versions (Naxos and Olympia).
I just stopped buying the Naxos volumes after the first two, perhaps because Naxos started to become harder to buy at very low prices. Now Brexit makes online shopping even worse so they can keep their stinking discs and sell them to billionaires. I am too poor for this game!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Listened to the Naxos volume 3 of String Quartets on Spotify. No. 7 is pretty impressive.  $:)

I kind of forgot Taneyev when I discovered Weinberg, but I am rediscovering...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

Taneyev: String Trio in D major [Leopold String Trio]

This is a very fine chamber work. The forces employed are obviously minimal but the effect produced is wonderfully expansive. I am already familiar with the composer's musical language so I am very comfortable here. This is constantly exciting, lyrical and engaging music and music making. The opening movement is a noble affair and I find it to be continually engaging and continually delivering fresh musical ideas. The Scherzo is suitably frisky and exciting movement with a suitably contrasting and engaging Trio section. The slow movement is a wonderful contrast in its tone and mood. Both the musical lines and the harmonies are wonderfully engaging. The final movement is a very fine piece of string trio writing; each voice is equally prominent and the ensemble delivers it very well.