Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones

Started by Cato, September 13, 2007, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

I have been listening to Taneyev again, re-discovering the music. Suite de concert  Op. 28 for example is pretty epic work.  0:) Taneyev knew how to be epic. Some Bachian counterpoint and people are "blown away".  ;D

It is crazy how much in the shadows of Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov this composer has been, but finally in the 21st century he is getting recognition for his strong craftsmanship.

I need to revisit those String Trios (have the MDG Belcanto Strings disc).

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on September 11, 2021, 05:11:13 AM
Taneyev: String Trio in D major [Leopold String Trio]

This is a very fine chamber work. The forces employed are obviously minimal but the effect produced is wonderfully expansive. I am already familiar with the composer's musical language so I am very comfortable here. This is constantly exciting, lyrical and engaging music and music making. The opening movement is a noble affair and I find it to be continually engaging and continually delivering fresh musical ideas. The Scherzo is suitably frisky and exciting movement with a suitably contrasting and engaging Trio section. The slow movement is a wonderful contrast in its tone and mood. Both the musical lines and the harmonies are wonderfully engaging. The final movement is a very fine piece of string trio writing; each voice is equally prominent and the ensemble delivers it very well.

Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed it, Fergus.  :)

As I have already mentioned to you, this early string trio is currently my favourite Taneyev chamber work. And I find that the Leopolds give it just the right pacing!

Brahmsian

Quote from: 71 dB on September 11, 2021, 05:52:08 AM
I have been listening to Taneyev again, re-discovering the music. Suite de concert  Op. 28 for example is pretty epic work.  0:) Taneyev knew how to be epic. Some Bachian counterpoint and people are "blown away".  ;D

It is crazy how much in the shadows of Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov this composer has been, but finally in the 21st century he is getting recognition for his strong craftsmanship.

Suite de concert is a mighty fine work, Poju. I will have to give it a listen as it has been awhile since I have heard it.  :)

aligreto

Taneyev: String Trio in E flat major [Leopold String Trio]

Once again, I am surprised at how expansive the sound world is here given the forces employed. The music of the opening movement is wonderful. It is lyrical, well driven, thoughtful and expansive. It is also exciting and it is very well presented by the ensemble. The scherzo is a wonderfully exciting affair and it is something of an exercise in perpetual movement, constantly driven but not in a harsh way. The slow movement is a wonderful exercise in both poignancy and serenity. The harmonies and counterpoint are both wonderful in this movement. This is magnificent music. I particularly like the final movement. It rounds off the work very admirably in a vibrant and very interesting and engaging way.

aligreto

Quote from: 71 dB on September 11, 2021, 05:52:08 AM

It was great that you did go back and reacquaint yourself with the music of Taneyev. I am only new to his music and it has been a revelation for me. If you enjoyed his string quartets you will definitely enjoy the trios.

71 dB

Quote from: aligreto on September 18, 2021, 05:45:46 AM
It was great that you did go back and reacquaint yourself with the music of Taneyev. I am only new to his music and it has been a revelation for me. If you enjoyed his string quartets you will definitely enjoy the trios.

Well, I am glad that you have experienced this revelation named Taneyev. 0:) His music has been "one of the best kept secrets of Russian music." I discovered his music maybe 15 years ago when I borrowed the Ondine CD of the Concert Suite/Entr'acte/Oresteya Overture. I was blown away. I collected half dozen CDs of his music, but they were very expensive and at that time there were not so many releases to begin with. Naxos was just beginning their Taneyev project for example. My wallet re-directed my attention to composers whose music was cheaper and more available... :P

aligreto

Quote from: 71 dB on September 18, 2021, 08:27:05 AM
Well, I am glad that you have experienced this revelation named Taneyev. 0:) His music has been "one of the best kept secrets of Russian music." I discovered his music maybe 15 years ago when I borrowed the Ondine CD of the Concert Suite/Entr'acte/Oresteya Overture. I was blown away. I collected half dozen CDs of his music, but they were very expensive and at that time there were not so many releases to begin with. Naxos was just beginning their Taneyev project for example. My wallet re-directed my attention to composers whose music was cheaper and more available... :P

A well kept secret indeed and I am certainly late to the party but my conversion was immediate and complete.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on September 18, 2021, 05:43:22 AM
Taneyev: String Trio in E flat major [Leopold String Trio]

Once again, I am surprised at how expansive the sound world is here given the forces employed. The music of the opening movement is wonderful. It is lyrical, well driven, thoughtful and expansive. It is also exciting and it is very well presented by the ensemble. The scherzo is a wonderfully exciting affair and it is something of an exercise in perpetual movement, constantly driven but not in a harsh way. The slow movement is a wonderful exercise in both poignancy and serenity. The harmonies and counterpoint are both wonderful in this movement. This is magnificent music. I particularly like the final movement. It rounds off the work very admirably in a vibrant and very interesting and engaging way.

It is another high quality and highly lyrical composition, Fergus. It feels like I am repeating myself.  ;D

71 dB

Quote from: aligreto on September 18, 2021, 10:24:55 AM
A well kept secret indeed and I am certainly late to the party but my conversion was immediate and complete.

Better late than never. Perhaps not so much the case with Taneyev, but I have my fair share of being late to a party.  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 18, 2021, 01:12:15 PM
It is another high quality and highly lyrical composition, Fergus. It feels like I am repeating myself.  ;D

No problem, Ray. If you are repeating yourself that might be because, like me, you are running out of superlatives.  ;)

aligreto

Quote from: 71 dB on September 18, 2021, 01:23:59 PM
Better late than never. Perhaps not so much the case with Taneyev, but I have my fair share of being late to a party.  ;D

I have a similar problem with many of the composers listed by members on these boards but it is fun catching up.

71 dB

Quote from: aligreto on September 19, 2021, 02:05:55 AM
I have a similar problem with many of the composers listed by members on these boards but it is fun catching up.

Before coming to this board back in 2008 I believe I thought I am a semi-expert on classical music (because I sort of am compared to people around me), but here I feel like a newbie who knows almost nothing despite of having listened to classical music for a quarter of a century!  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: 71 dB on September 19, 2021, 02:16:01 AM
Before coming to this board back in 2008 I believe I thought I am a semi-expert on classical music (because I sort of am compared to people around me), but here I feel like a newbie who knows almost nothing despite of having listened to classical music for a quarter of a century!  ;D

Hey, you are not alone there but discovery is half of the fun particularly if it is someone like Taneyev. 

foxandpeng

Quote from: 71 dB on September 19, 2021, 02:16:01 AM

The concept of the expert is something of an illusion, I think. The more I discover, the more obvious it is to me just how little I know. This forum has taught me so much, not least the necessity of humility in the face of genuinely knowledgeable people. I love it.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

aligreto

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 19, 2021, 06:12:34 AM
The concept of the expert is something of an illusion, I think. The more I discover, the more obvious it is to me just how little I know. This forum has taught me so much, not least the necessity of humility in the face of genuinely knowledgeable people. I love it.

Well said  :)

Cato

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 14, 2021, 05:03:05 AM
Excellent to read this, Fergus. I'm glad you are starting the SQ journey and appreciate you sharing your impressions.

From the *self-proclaimed Vice President of the Taneyev Society, Good Music Guide Chapter.

*Pending approval from the President and CEO, Leo (Cato)  ;D

You are hereby APPROVED !   8)

I had a few minutes tonight and decided to stop by quickly!

Having retired from teaching in June, I have been punished with constant work, usually physical, involving preparing our house for sale and then preparing for our move to a new/old house.

Let's just say that almost every day brings another problem or crisis, which demands our work, our money, or (usually) both.

The result is that I am rarely on the computer for much of anything.

Allow me to recommend this Taneyev work:

https://www.youtube.com/v/iHP1cy6bm3I&list=OLAK5uy_mqmcaOOV3cEkP-OAINkV8qY08FeI6duc0

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

aligreto

Taneyev: String Trio in B minor [Leopold String Trio]

I really like the beguiling and somewhat wistful opening to the first movement. What strikes me from the beginning of this movement is that this work is very conversational in nature; argumentative even. The tone is sombre; serious even. The tone and the mood is dark, intense and melancholic. The music has a great spirited presence nonetheless. Once again, there is a beguiling and somewhat wistful opening theme. The variations are always interesting, engaging and exciting in their varietal contrast and appeal. Once again, I find the music to be rather expansive given the forces employed.   

The performances of the Leopold String Trio are powerful, engaging, expansive and revealing throughout the performances on this CD.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on September 25, 2021, 06:53:27 AM
Taneyev: String Trio in B minor [Leopold String Trio]

I really like the beguiling and somewhat wistful opening to the first movement. What strikes me from the beginning of this movement is that this work is very conversational in nature; argumentative even. The tone is sombre; serious even. The tone and the mood is dark, intense and melancholic. The music has a great spirited presence nonetheless. Once again, there is a beguiling and somewhat wistful opening theme. The variations are always interesting, engaging and exciting in their varietal contrast and appeal. Once again, I find the music to be rather expansive given the forces employed.   

The performances of the Leopold String Trio are powerful, engaging, expansive and revealing throughout the performances on this CD.

This completes your opening journey into Taneyev's chamber music. There is more to explore my friend!  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on September 20, 2021, 06:39:15 PM

You are hereby APPROVED !   8)

I had a few minutes tonight and decided to stop by quickly!

Having retired from teaching in June, I have been punished with constant work, usually physical, involving preparing our house for sale and then preparing for our move to a new/old house.

Let's just say that almost every day brings another problem or crisis, which demands our work, our money, or (usually) both.

The result is that I am rarely on the computer for much of anything.

Allow me to recommend this Taneyev work:

https://www.youtube.com/v/iHP1cy6bm3I&list=OLAK5uy_mqmcaOOV3cEkP-OAINkV8qY08FeI6duc0

Thank you for sharing. I'll have to check this out, as I don't believe I have heard this particular work before!  :)