Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones

Started by Cato, September 13, 2007, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

I could not find the previous Taneyev topic, so here is a new one.

Allow me to comment on the new CD with the Taneyev Symphonies 1 and 3 now available on CHANDOS with Polyansky conducting.

The First Symphony is a student work apparently composed when Tchaikovsky was advising Taneyev.  The work begins rather powerfully, with a memorable dramatic theme.  This movement, along with the last, makes the symphony worthwhile: they connect nicely, while I found the slow movement much too abrupt, and the scherzo repetitious, giving in perhaps to Tchaikovsky's tendency to overdo the antiphony.

The Third Symphony is a mature work, and while unfortunately not in the same league thematically as the Second and Fourth Symphonies it still is worthwhile, if only for the last two movements.  There is a struggle in the opening movements, as if a very slightly Russified Schumann or Schubert were struggling against the vapors, trying to clear the mind, and then finally obtaining a Romanovian Enlightenment in the slow movement and finale.

If you are skeptical of Taneyev, this CD might only confirm your skepticism, so better to go to the other 2 symphonies first.  If you are a devotaneyev already, yes, you must buy this!    0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

snyprrr

I need some help with Taneyev SQs,... ha, his chamber music in general!

Northern Flowers has released 5 Vols. of the TaneyevQuartet's cycle, which, I don't think has ever been available.

Taneyev wrote his first SQ the same year Brahms wrote his Op.67. The student then later wrote 1 + 2 more large scale works before beginning his cycle proper in 1890.

d minor (1876; not counted)

Eb (1880)
C, A (1883)

No1 (Bb minor; 1890)

No.2 (C; 1895)
No.3 (d minor; 1896)

No.4 (a minor; 1899)

No.5 (A; 1903)

No.6 (Bb; 1906)

unfinished (c minor; 1911)

All I know is that all are big big pieces, and, of course, taneyev's reputation here is that of being the Russian heir to Brahms, or, haha, the Russian Brahms. I've heard he's not the most humable composer ever, preferring to work out his mvmts in utmost rigorous style. Apparently, No.2 is alone on Vol.5, so, I wonder if it's larger than the rest, a super monster? No.3 is in two mvmts (in d minor; second mvmt variations,...que Myaskovsky No.3!).

I know they get progressively more "whatever", but I wonder WHAT kind of a minor the a minor quartet is. Is it dark, or just rigorous? Is there a particularly awesome SQ? Or beautiful? Are the all just so good you have to get all (please no ::))? What is the dillio of these works, yo?

And, while we're at it, I had the Piano Quintet a long time ago. I must have found it too much at the time. Then there's the Piano Trio in D that's supposed to be the big thing. And, there's a Piano Quartet in there somewhere. Anyone interested here?

Seriously, don't make me check out these SQs on my own!! :-*

oh, and btw- Cato,... would you be averse to changing the thread title to something, uh...more,. uh,...noble? ::) :-[ :-* Taneyev's Trudging Turgidness?? Taneyev's Tarmac? Taneyev's Tea Time? Taneyev's Tinkle Room?

Wanderer

I think the thread title is brilliant as it is.  8)

PS. Unfortunately, I can't help you with the string quartets. Any relevant answers are eagerly anticipated.

vandermolen

The CD below is excellent (the Overture is a great work - very powerful stuff) - I also like symphonies 2 and 4.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Carolus

I'm a Taneyev's fan and have nearly all his chamber works.On his SQ, No.1 and 2 (not his first and second composed) are my favorites. Have also his string quintet and his string trios. All are from very good to extraordinary IMHO. And do not forget his huge Suite
for violin and orch.

Superhorn

I really like this composer's m ???usic, but what the heck are "twirbling tones" and how do you make a tent out of them?

???           ???                       ???                    ???             

Cato

Quote from: Superhorn on February 22, 2010, 06:50:42 AM
  I really like this composer's m ???usic, but what the heck are "twirbling tones" and how do you make a tent out of them?

???           ???                       ???                    ???             

I am so happy to see a new Taneyev CD: perhaps some hungry Russian group will put together a performance of the complete Oresteia.

"Twirble" is a combination of "Warble" and "Twitter" and you make a tent of them by listening to Taneyev...in your mind !!!
   :o

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on February 19, 2010, 01:28:14 AM
The CD below is excellent (the Overture is a great work - very powerful stuff) - I also like symphonies 2 and 4.

Oh gosh, I LOVE this CD of orchestral works as well, vandermolen!  Highly recommend it.

Grazioso

Quote from: snyprrr on February 18, 2010, 08:40:59 PM
I need some help with Taneyev SQs,... ha, his chamber music in general!

Based on this disc of chamber music played by an all-star group, Taneyev is a composer I'd like to hear more of:

That massive piano quintet is pretty darn impressive.

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

snyprrr

Quote from: Grazioso on March 10, 2010, 04:26:45 AM
Based on this disc of chamber music played by an all-star group, Taneyev is a composer I'd like to hear more of:

That massive piano quintet is pretty darn impressive.

I had the massive PQ on Arabesque (Penguin recommendation), but, I suppose I couldn't handle Taneyev at the time (many moons). I currently inch ever closer to buying one of the SQ discs. I think I remember hearing the Piano Trio on Chandos LP also, but have no recollection.

That DG disc has quite a lineup. I suppose, noting, that Taneyev isn't known for his tunes, that picking a particular masterpiece of his chamber works is a daunting task. I remember getting the PQ because of the fervent Penguin advocacy, and being a bit underwhelmed (probably, it didn't sound like Shosty, so it must have sucked! :o :P). I am more attuned to knotty and thorny meditations now.

Is the PQ the masterpiece, or do we seek another?(angel smiley)

Brahmsian

Quote from: snyprrr on March 10, 2010, 05:35:31 PM
I had the massive PQ on Arabesque (Penguin recommendation), but, I suppose I couldn't handle Taneyev at the time (many moons). I currently inch ever closer to buying one of the SQ discs. I think I remember hearing the Piano Trio on Chandos LP also, but have no recollection.

That DG disc has quite a lineup. I suppose, noting, that Taneyev isn't known for his tunes, that picking a particular masterpiece of his chamber works is a daunting task. I remember getting the PQ because of the fervent Penguin advocacy, and being a bit underwhelmed (probably, it didn't sound like Shosty, so it must have sucked! :o :P). I am more attuned to knotty and thorny meditations now.

Is the PQ the masterpiece, or do we seek another?(angel smiley)

I strongly recommend you to try the SQ# 1 and # 3 by Carpe Diem String Quartet, on the Naxos label.  One of my favorite discs.  They've also just release SQ# 2 and # 4 on Naxos (only available on-line digital currently - the CD won't be out next year).

Or buy all of the Northern Flowers recordings!

Bulldog

I love Taneyev's chamber works.  I have the Northern Flowers recordings of all the String Quartets, and the performances are outstanding; nothing against the Carpe Diem on Naxos, but Northern Flowers easily bests the newer contenders.  Also have the 2-cd Quintets set on Northern Flowers that is also a must-have.

Another great disc is from the Barbican Piano Trio on Dutton Epoch - an excellent Piano Trio in D major and FANTASTIC Piano Quartet in E major.  For the Piano Trio alone, I find the Borodin superlative.

Although I'm in the minority, I do not care much for the DG all-star disc having the Piano Trio and Quintet.  I find the playing lacks a coherent vision and the tension is also lacking.  Yes, there's plenty of virtuosity, but most of it sounds self-serving.   

snyprrr

NOTE TO SELF:

Taneyev fans will not relent in their insistence that you aquire ALL!! STOP. Greatest fears realized! STOP.

Brahmsian

He equally deserves the same recognition as any other top tier Russian composer, in my opinion.

Bulldog

Quote from: snyprrr on March 11, 2010, 10:43:28 AM
NOTE TO SELF:

Taneyev fans will not relent in their insistence that you aquire ALL!! STOP. Greatest fears realized! STOP.

"ALL" is a good word. STOP

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on February 19, 2010, 01:28:14 AM

Let me rave about the Taneyev NAXOS CD recommended last month by Mynheer Vandermolen!

NAXOS 8.570584 with the Novosibirsk Academic Symphony Orchestra with Thomas Sanderling.  (They are quite good!)

It contains two excerpts from the Oresteia opera: a 20-minute overture  :o   with one of the greatest openings for a musical story ever heard: you are instantly transported back into the prehistorical darkness of the tale.  The Entr'acte from Act III is also included, which contains some fine music to counterbalance the overture.

Two overtures - Overture in D minor and an Overture on a Russian Theme are delightfully engaging, as is an early Adagio in C major.  The latter overture has a marvelous theme used in a dialogue among the woodwinds at around the 11 minute mark.  Wistfully charming!   0:)

Two short works are also included: a 5-minute cantata on a poem by Pushkin, which is not just Russian Gebrauchsmusik, and of interest to Karl Henning a clarinet Canzona!

5 Stars all the way, Dudes!  8)

karlhenning

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on March 23, 2010, 06:55:29 AM
Let me rave about the Taneyev NAXOS CD recommended last month by Mynheer Vandermolen!

NAXOS 8.570584 with the Novosibirsk Academic Symphony Orchestra with Thomas Sanderling.

Thank you, gentlemen both!  I found it at F.Y.E.! Huzzah!

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 23, 2010, 09:38:59 AM
Thank you, gentlemen both!  I found it at F.Y.E.! Huzzah!

That is surprising, since most such places have one Bach for Beginners, one Baby Mozart, and one Beethoven Fifth Symphony.

And maybe a Pavarotti compilation, or even better, Mantovani and His Orchestra.    :o

Here in the city with the largest university in America, we have a good number of "super bookstores" with CD's, but the Classical selection can be el crappo profundo as they say in Spanish.   0:)

That FYE would have Taneyev is really great!