Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones

Started by Cato, September 13, 2007, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

My favorite single disc in my entire classical music collection, is the Volume II newly released string quartets recording by Carpe Diem SQ on Naxos, which includes Taneyev's 2nd and 4th string quartets.

I was so taken away by the music, I felt like someone had just punched me so hard in the stomach and I had a hard time catching my breath.  I was so moved and touched by this music, that the next day I phoned the Carpe Diem String Quartets and left them a message to say thank you for the beautiful performances of these two fascinated and breathtaking string quartets.  I've often been in email correspondence with Carpe Diem's gorgeous Viola player, Korine Fujiwara.

Yes, it isn't a misprint.  On first listen, this CD became my most prized single disc in my entire classical music collection.  The Adagios of these quartets are so gorgeous.  I really loved Carpe Diem's Volume I release of Taneyev's 1 & 3 quartets, and did not think they could top that disc.  Yet, they did top it, and quite easily.  I would not be surprised if this disc not only wins multiple "Best Chamber Music Disc of 2011", but also overall "Best Classical Music Disc of 2011".

[asin]B004KDO2XO[/asin]

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just listened to the first movement of Taneyev's String Quartet No. 3 on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoIAgU4GwQU&feature=related). Very impressive.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Daverz

I really love his Piano Trio.  One of the great Romantic piano trios, I think.

Cato

Quite a recommendation for the String Quartets II and IV!

Many thanks for the comments!

Yes, the Piano Trio is an all-around fave, and chamber music is normally not my thing.  But Taneyev convinces me that at least his chamber music should be my thing!  The CD with this from Pro Arte also offers the Alexander Tcherepnin Trio.

We await The Oresteia: Amazon lists one used copy for $125.00!!!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Scarpia

From what I have heard, Taneyev string quartets remind me of Borodin's works in the same genre.  The Carpe Diem quartet performance are fine, but rather straight-laced.  There is another cycle by the Taneyev Quartet on Northern Flowers.  I have their recordings of the Boris Tchaikovsky quartets and if those appeal I may defect from Carpe Diem for future Taneyev quartet recordings.

Daverz

Quote from: Cato on April 12, 2011, 08:43:31 AM
Quite a recommendation for the String Quartets II and IV!

Many thanks for the comments!

Yes, the Piano Trio is an all-around fave, and chamber music is normally not my thing.  But Taneyev convinces me that at least his chamber music should be my thing!  The CD with this from Pro Arte also offers the Alexander Tcherepnin Trio.

This Odeon Trio recording is my favorite recording so far of the Taneyev (I have it on Lp).  I also have the Pletnev et al. on DG and the Northern Flowers.  I don't like the piano playing on the Northern Flowers.   I'd like to have the Odeon on CD, but rather than spend $25 to get the CD, I wonder if I should try one of the other available recordings, which as far as I can find out are:

Borodin Trio (Chandos, and Brilliant Classics, I think)
Mendelssohn Piano Trio (Centaur)
Barbican Piano Trio (Dutton)
Röhn (?) Piano Tro (Calig)
Moscow Piano Trio (Chant du Monde)
Roslavets Trio (Vista Vera)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on March 11, 2010, 08:58:03 AM
I love Taneyev's chamber works.  I have the Northern Flowers recordings of all the String Quartets, and the performances are outstanding; nothing against the Carpe Diem on Naxos, but Northern Flowers easily bests the newer contenders.  Also have the 2-cd Quintets set on Northern Flowers that is also a must-have..................

Don - forgot to comment on your post above about these Northern Flowers recordings - looking on Amazon, there are about 9 or so total discs of Taneyev's Chamber Works on this label, and they are not inexpensive!  We must get Harry to contact his pals at Brilliant to get these into a slim box!  ;) ;D   Dave

Taneyev

About the piano trio, you should explore Oistrakh's trio recording.

Daverz

Brahmsian

I'm bumping this for Karl's review on a recent purchase.  No pressure, Karl.  :D 8)

I myself, have just ordered the Sanderling/Naxos recordings of Taneyev's Symphonies 1-4.  No word yet from Amazon on when delivery date is set.

DavidW

I've finally been introduced to Tanayev earlier this week on the radio, his music is pretty darned good. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on August 04, 2011, 12:54:14 PM
I've finally been introduced to Tanayev earlier this week on the radio, his music is pretty darned good. :)

Was it the Suite for violin and orchestra?  I think I remember you mentioning it earlier.  I've only heard that piece once, but liked it quite a bit.

DavidW

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 04, 2011, 01:05:08 PM
Was it the Suite for violin and orchestra?  I think I remember you mentioning it earlier.  I've only heard that piece once, but liked it quite a bit.

Yuppers. Someday when I'm done with my backlog of cds I will listen to some Tanayev through streaming. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on August 04, 2011, 01:06:52 PM
Yuppers. Someday when I'm done with my backlog of cds I will listen to some Tanayev through streaming. :)

Not to ignore the orchestral music, but head straight for the chamber music.  Gems galore!!   8)

Brahmsian

Goal for 2012:  Make this the most posted on composer thread, and overtake Havergal Brian!   :D

Seriously, Taneyev rocks!  8)

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 28, 2011, 08:53:01 AM
Goal for 2012:  Make this the most posted on composer thread, and overtake Havergal Brian!   :D

Seriously, Taneyev rocks8)

8)  Dude!   8)  Brian is just a punk compared to Taneyev!

And Taneyev is a certified, verified, Weiningerian genius!!!  Whereas Brian is just some countrified, small-potatoes, rhinestone Liberacean genius.

(That should guarantee some activity   :-*  Toodles!)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on October 28, 2011, 09:25:47 AM
8)  Dude!   8)  Brian is just a punk compared to Taneyev!

And Taneyev is a certified, verified, Weiningerian genius!!!  Whereas Brian is just some countrified, small-potatoes, rhinestone Liberacean genius.

(That should guarantee some activity   :-*  Toodles!)

All the Brian and English composer enthusiasts will soon be swarming in the Tent8)

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 28, 2011, 09:42:10 AM
All the Brian and English composer enthusiasts will soon be swarming in the Tent8)

We need a high-pressure campaign on e.g. NAXOS or Melodiya to offer a complete recording of the Oresteia and a set with the String Quartets!

Cato

And to make sure NAXOS keeps releasing Taneyev CD's, all of you chamber music people!  Hear ye!

TANEYEV'S Violin Sonata!

http://www.amazon.com/Taneyev-Violin-Sonata-Piano-Music/dp/B002N5KEC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1319854426&sr=1-1

71 dB

I regret spending money on such composers like Rodrigo when I should have invested in Taneyev, my favorite Russian composer. What's worse, now that Naxos has got a somewhat respectable Taneyev catalog, the prices are up. So, I only have these:

8.570336   Symphonies Nos. 1 and 3
8.570527   Suite de concert - Ioann Damaskin

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"