Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones

Started by Cato, September 13, 2007, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

I came across this CD on Amazon while checking for new CD's: it is not new, but perhaps fans do not know about it.

[asin]B0009VKR8K[/asin]

Anyway, an Mp3 download for under $7.00 is available.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Bulldog on November 16, 2011, 09:05:39 AM
Although I am enjoying the new Naxos series, it can't compete with the Taneyev Quartet concerning expressiveness.

Expressiveness is not exactly one of Taneyev's strongest points, so i can see that being a problem.

Cato

Sammy

Quote from: Cato on April 11, 2012, 03:27:42 PM
I came across this CD on Amazon while checking for new CD's: it is not new, but perhaps fans do not know about it.

[asin]B0009VKR8K[/asin]

Anyway, an Mp3 download for under $7.00 is available.

I've had this CD for a few years and find it exceptional (especially the Quartet performance).

Cato

Quote from: Sammy on June 13, 2012, 09:08:43 AM
I've had this CD for a few years and find it exceptional (especially the Quartet performance).

Many thanks for the mini-review!

Memo to NAXOS and other companies: More Taneyev!

We are still waiting for The Oresteia.

Brahmsian

WOW!!!!   :)

Put on a life jacket and full scuba gear and oxygen tank.  Warning:  You will drown in a great big sea of Russian blood!!  This is so amazing.  My first listen to these Taneyev works.   WOW!!!  The more and more I hear 'first listens' for Taneyev, it just gets better and better.

I can't wait to listen to this again and once again battle the Russian Blood Sea!!

I'm starting to feel like I need to buy every single Taneyev recording in existence!  ;D :D

PS - In case I didn't make myself clear - I really, really love this CD!  :D 8)

[asin]B001F4YGW8[/asin]

Scarpia

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 28, 2012, 05:13:55 PMI can't wait to listen to this again and once again battle the Russian Blood Sea!!

What?  Taneyev the ripper?  The question now is 'will I ever be able to listen to Taneyev again without having that revolting image come to mind.  Not for a while.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Scarpia on August 28, 2012, 05:44:05 PM
What?  Taneyev the ripper?  The question now is 'will I ever be able to listen to Taneyev again without having that revolting image come to mind.  Not for a while.

Oops!  :D  In my uber enthusiasm, I ended up making it sound revolting, when in fact I was trying for the opposite effect.  :-[ :)

If you really LOVE Russian chamber music that actually sounds like Russian chamber music, then you'll like that String Trios disc.   :D

Scarpia

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 28, 2012, 05:49:39 PM
Oops!  :D  In my uber enthusiasm, I ended up making it sound revolting, when in fact I was trying for the opposite effect.  :-[ :)

If you really LOVE Russian chamber music that actually sounds like Russian chamber music, then you'll like that String Trios disc.   :D

I have that string trio disc (it turned up at Berkshire for cheap) but haven't listened to it yet.

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 28, 2012, 05:13:55 PM
WOW!!!!   :)

Put on a life jacket and full scuba gear and oxygen tank.  Warning:  You will drown in a great big sea of Russian blood!!  This is so amazing.  My first listen to these Taneyev works.   

WOW!!!  The more and more I hear 'first listens' for Taneyev, it just gets better and better.

I'm starting to feel like I need to buy every single Taneyev recording in existence!  ;D :D

Taneyev can be an addicting drug!   0:)

And even though you are a chamber nut, the symphonies are not to be missed, especially #2 and #4.  And do not miss the Oresteia excerpts available. 

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on August 30, 2012, 05:09:03 PM
Taneyev can be an addicting drug!   0:)

And even though you are a chamber nut, the symphonies are not to be missed, especially #2 and #4.  And do not miss the Oresteia excerpts available.

I'm way ahead of you, Cato.  I have those!  :)  The Oresteia overture is amazing!  Would love to see a full-scale production, available on CD and DVD.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

I really, really want all the Taneyev String Quartet recordings of Taneyev's chamber works on the Northern Flowers label.  Was hoping they would come down in price....but alas.  :(

Time to bite the bullet and spend!!  :D

Brahmsian

Earth to Cato:  We have got to seriously haul ass if we plan on Taneyev's thread to overtake Havergal Brian's as the most posted 'Composer Thread' in the 'Composer Discussion' forum.  8) ;D

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 28, 2012, 03:35:37 PM
I really, really want all the Taneyev String Quartet recordings of Taneyev's chamber works on the Northern Flowers label.  Was hoping they would come down in price....but alas.  :(

Time to bite the bullet and spend!!  :D

It is Christmas time: will this be an example of "self-gifting" ? 0:)

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 28, 2012, 03:56:49 PM
Earth to Cato:  We have got to seriously haul ass if we plan on Taneyev's thread to overtake Havergal Brian's as the most posted 'Composer Thread' in the 'Composer Discussion' forum.  8) ;D

Ain't that the truth!   ;D   

Maybe we should claim that the Miaskovsky symphonies were actually composed by Taneyev!  Such crankery would crank up the computers here!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on November 28, 2012, 04:01:34 PM
It is Christmas time: will this be an example of "self-gifting" ? 0:)

Indeed ~ ChamberNut has been a good boy all year.....time for a huge reward!  :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

I've just pulled the trigger at Amazon.ca, Cato.  (re:  Northern Flowers 5 volumes Taneyev Quartet recordings)

3 of them shall arrive before December 24th!  8)

Brian

Carpe Diem Quartet's Volume 3 (quartets 5 and 7) is now available for streaming on Naxos Music Library, but it says a CD release will come later.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on November 30, 2012, 12:57:07 PM
Carpe Diem Quartet's Volume 3 (quartets 5 and 7) is now available for streaming on Naxos Music Library, but it says a CD release will come later.

Sweet!  Thanks for that update, Brian!  :)