Sergei Taneyev's Tent of Twirbling Tones

Started by Cato, September 13, 2007, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

BUY THIS ALBUM!!!

http://www.emusic.com/album/american-symphony-orchestra/taneyev-oresteia/14445842/

Taneyev's Oresteia performed by Leon Botstein, the American Symphony Orchestra, and a Russian cast: Gorgeous, Riveting, Enchanting, Powerful, etc. etc. etc.

Why on earth this has not been turned into a CD I have no idea: but for c. $10.00 you can download this uncut c. 2 1/2 hour performance, and so far my computer and BOSE earphones are delivering great quality of sound. 

The performance of the Overture is more detailed and powerful and exciting than Ashkenazy's or Sanderling's.  And so far the opening 45 minutes are outstanding!!!  The Russian singers - (I am listening without a libretto, just taking the music as music) - are conveying power and nuance of emotion.  But one hears that in the orchestra as well right from the overture, which contains more detail and range and power than the performances by Ashkenazy and Sanderling.

For more convincing, here is a detailed review:

http://newyorkarts.net/2013/09/sergey-taneyev-oresteia-bard/  (His opinions on the music and performance are on target: I cannot comment upon his opinions of the staging, costumes, etc.  A DVD of that would be nice!)

Again, BUY THIS ALBUM!  ;)  Even if you do not like opera, I cannot imagine anyone being immune to the joys of the opening 45 minutes!  (All I have heard so far  ;D  ).
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

torut

Audio samples sounded very good, and I just downloaded this album. Thank you.

Quote from: Cato on December 26, 2014, 07:17:35 AM
The performance of the Overture is more detailed and powerful and exciting than Ashkenazy's or Sanderling's.  And so far the opening 45 minutes are outstanding!!!  The Russian singers - (I am listening without a libretto, just taking the music as music) - are conveying power and nuance of emotion.  But one hears that in the orchestra as well right from the overture, which contains more detail and range and power than the performances by Ashkenazy and Sanderling.

Does it contain Overture Op. 6?

Cato

Quote from: torut on December 26, 2014, 08:18:41 AM
Audio samples sounded very good, and I just downloaded this album. Thank you.

Does it contain Overture Op. 6?

Yes, the entire Opus 6 Overture opens the work!

Tell us what you think!

SonicMan46

Well, I've not added to my Taneyev collection in a while and have just his chamber works @ the moment w/ the one shown below ordered a few days ago on the Northern Flowers label.

Now, I've not explored this composer's larger orchestral works, particularly the Symphonies - first, are these worth owning and as good as his chamber works?  If so, there appears to be two main sets (2 CDs each): 1) Polyansky w/ Russian State SO; and 2) Sanderling w/ the Novosibirsk Academic SO - any comparative comments on these performances?  Thanks - Dave :)

Cato

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 26, 2014, 10:14:56 AM
Well, I've not added to my Taneyev collection in a while and have just his chamber works @ the moment w/ the one shown below ordered a few days ago on the Northern Flowers label.

Now, I've not explored this composer's larger orchestral works, particularly the Symphonies - first, are these worth owning and as good as his chamber works?  If so, there appears to be two main sets (2 CDs each): 1) Polyansky w/ Russian State SO; and 2) Sanderling w/ the Novosibirsk Academic SO - any comparative comments on these performances?  Thanks - Dave :)

I believe Chamber Nut would recommend that version of the Quintets.  I can recommend the Polyansky performances of the symphonies: I have other CD's by Sanderling and the Novosibirskers and they are fine, at times even excellent.

torut

I am not a big fan of opera, and I listened to it just because it's Taneyev's work, but I enjoyed Oresteia throughout. It's a bold, tuneful composition, and the music itself grabbed me although I listened to it without text. The performance is excellent, especially the bass and the orchestra were impressive. The only reservation is the soprano who I sometimes had difficulties with, but still there are many beautiful moments.

Cato

Quote from: torut on December 27, 2014, 10:21:24 PM
I am not a big fan of opera, and I listened to it just because it's Taneyev's work, but I enjoyed Oresteia throughout. It's a bold, tuneful composition, and the music itself grabbed me although I listened to it without text. The performance is excellent, especially the bass and the orchestra were impressive. The only reservation is the soprano who I sometimes had difficulties with, but still there are many beautiful moments.

Yes, again I believe that the music is so strong that even non-opera listeners could find much of interest.

And at such a price (3 CD's of music for c. $10.00) for the download, this is the time to enjoy nearly 3 hours of marvelous music by Taneyev.

Cato

Just saw this on Amazon: release is set for February 10th.

[asin] B00QMMPRVM[/asin]

Cato

Excellent performance of the Taneyev Piano Concerto: hard to believe he never composed a Finale, or another piano concerto!

https://www.youtube.com/v/4xEsI_mOysI

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on February 04, 2015, 01:57:24 PM

[asin] B00QMMPRVM[/asin]

Mmm, that looks dandy, Cato.  :)

Haven't twirbled in awhile.  :D

jlaurson

Quote from: Cato on February 04, 2015, 01:57:24 PM

One wishes those were the String Quartets... so that those terrible (in any case not-good-enough-) Naxos recordings could be replaced.

snyprrr

Quote from: jlaurson on July 04, 2015, 12:04:19 AM
One wishes those were the String Quartets... so that those terrible (in any case not-good-enough-) Naxos recordings could be replaced.

I'm just having major problems with Taneyev. ChamberNut says to try the A-minor String Quartet,... I'm just finding him too "wrought" for me, just all this dreariness, and exhaustion of listening,... I just can't get through a whole piece.

I used to have the Piano Quintet and I would have gladly just chucked it for Shostakovich....

I know I'm supposed to like Taneyev, and want to, but, aye, yea, "Russian Brahms", zzz zzz zzz zzz...

Do you have the cure, Jens?

jlaurson

Quote from: snyprrr on July 05, 2015, 12:18:17 PM
I'm just having major problems with Taneyev. ChamberNut says to try the A-minor String Quartet,... I'm just finding him too "wrought" for me, just all this dreariness, and exhaustion of listening,... I just can't get through a whole piece.

I used to have the Piano Quintet and I would have gladly just chucked it for Shostakovich....

I know I'm supposed to like Taneyev, and want to, but, aye, yea, "Russian Brahms", zzz zzz zzz zzz...

Not as of yet, but I'm working on it. But I hear you, generally speaking. I feel that way about MANY composers.

Cato

Quote from: snyprrr on July 05, 2015, 12:18:17 PM

Have you listened to the Second or Fourth Symphonies?  Or The Oresteia?

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on July 06, 2015, 06:53:45 PM

Good recommendations.  Is there a new commercial recording of the complete Oresteia opera?  The overture is magnificent.  Wagnerian in scope.  No Russian Brahms here.  :D

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 06, 2015, 07:45:36 PM
Good recommendations.  Is there a new commercial recording of the complete Oresteia opera?  The overture is magnificent.  Wagnerian in scope.  No Russian Brahms here.  :D

YES!  You must have missed it: not on CD, but available for a download, is an excellent performance with a mainly Russian cast and the American Symphony Orchestra conducted by Leon Botstein:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOTT6TS/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on July 07, 2015, 05:58:46 AM
YES!  You must have missed it: not on CD, but available for a download, is an excellent performance with a mainly Russian cast and the American Symphony Orchestra conducted by Leon Botstein:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOTT6TS/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Thanks for the link, Cato.  I will check it out when time permits.  :)

snyprrr

Quote from: Cato on July 06, 2015, 06:53:45 PM

Cato

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot