Author Topic: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?  (Read 448898 times)

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
Re: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?
« Reply #2900 on: January 27, 2022, 03:26:22 AM »

Don Giovanni (highlighs)
Don Giovanni - John Shirley-Quirk
Donna Anna - Rachel Mathes
Donna Elvira - Sheila Armstrong
Leoprello - Stafford Dean
Don Ottavio- Robert Tear
Zerlina - Ann Murray
Masetto - Arthur Jackson

Scottish Chamber Orchestra  Sir Alexander Gibson

Der Rosenkavalier (highlights)
Marschallin- Helga Dernesch
Octavian - Anne Howells
Sophie - Teresa Cahill
Baron Ochs - Michael Langdon
Tenor Singer - Derek Blackwell
Annina - Claire Livingston
Faninal - Gordon Sandison

Scottish National Orchestra - Sir Alexander Gibson

Two mementoes of two successful 1970s Scottish Opera productions. The Giovanni is hardly in the class of either of the two recordings I listened (1953 Furtwängler and Giulini), but it is good to hear so many well produced voices. I doubt any of our national companies could come up with a cast half as good these days.

The Rosenkavalier disc is a bit better and is a memento of a production I actually saw. It was the first time I'd ever seen the opera and the performance has stayed in my memory ever since. Helga Dernsech's Marschallin remains the best of my opera going experience and certainly deserved to be captured on disc, even if only piecemeal. Anne Howells was wonderful in the theatre, but has a few moments of suspect intonation on disc. Teresa Cahill is absolutely ravishing as Sophie and Michael Langdon was an excellent and well known Ochs. This recording is actually a memento of the revival, as the original production was sung in English. Dernesch was still the Marschallin, but Janet Baker was Octavian and Elizabeth Harwood Sophie. It was very fine and has been issued on disc by Ponto.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas