Roy Harris (1898-1979)

Started by vandermolen, June 13, 2009, 01:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2022, 01:33:23 AM
Bump for this thread. Currently enjoying this CD which features two of the strongest Harris symphonies:

I am going to have to return to this disk as well. Thanks for the heads up.

vandermolen

Quote from: Leo K. on November 07, 2022, 07:11:39 AM
I am going to have to return to this disk as well. Thanks for the heads up.
My pleasure and thanks for responding.
Coincidentally today I received a CD featuring Harris's Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra (1946) which I greatly enjoyed and found it fully characteristic. The opening movement reminded me of John Foulds's 'Dynamic Triptych'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Lately I've been exploring his chamber music (yesterday I listened to his String Quartet No. 2 and it was quite a great surprise). Today it's been this disc containing his Piano Quintet, String Quartet No. 3 and Violin Sonata. The order in which the works are listed on the cover art somehow points out from the most arresting work to the least one. This Piano Quintet struck me like rather original in its ideas, each of its three movements (Passacaglia, Cadenza and Fugue) have no waste whatsoever. A brilliant piece. The SQ 3 comprises four preludes and four fugues that are interspersed. Again, the music is rather attractive and consistent throughout. Finally, the Violin Sonata impressed me in a minor degree, but it has its merits, nonetheless.

This composer's facet has opened another perspective to me since I didn't care much for his music, but now the situation is different for good.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Løvfald on April 25, 2023, 07:04:41 PMLately I've been exploring his chamber music (yesterday I listened to his String Quartet No. 2 and it was quite a great surprise). Today it's been this disc containing his Piano Quintet, String Quartet No. 3 and Violin Sonata. The order in which the works are listed on the cover art somehow points out from the most arresting work to the least one. This Piano Quintet struck me like rather original in its ideas, each of its three movements (Passacaglia, Cadenza and Fugue) have no waste whatsoever. A brilliant piece. The SQ 3 comprises four preludes and four fugues that are interspersed. Again, the music is rather attractive and consistent throughout. Finally, the Violin Sonata impressed me in a minor degree, but it has its merits, nonetheless.

This composer's facet has opened another perspective to me since I didn't care much for his music, but now the situation is different for good.

I thought that CD was great Cesar (not cheap here as an American import). I love the cover featuring the dilapidated barn!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2023, 09:51:00 PMI thought that CD was great Cesar (not cheap here as an American import). I love the cover featuring the dilapidated barn!
I've seen a lot of those over the years.  Attitude is sort of a "Why bother to tear it down when it will come down on its own [eventually]?"

I do enjoy his third symphony (have it on a Koussevitsky 2-CD set which I like very much).
PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 26, 2023, 11:50:55 AMI've seen a lot of those over the years.  Attitude is sort of a "Why bother to tear it down when it will come down on its own [eventually]?"

I do enjoy his third symphony (have it on a Koussevitsky 2-CD set which I like very much).
PD
I think that the barn is a great image for Harris's music. If you like the 3rd Symphony you might enjoy Bernstein's CBS/Sony (not the one on DGG) recording which is my favourite (the Thompson and Diamond are great works as well).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 26, 2023, 11:31:40 PMI think that the barn is a great image for Harris's music. If you like the 3rd Symphony you might enjoy Bernstein's CBS/Sony (not the one on DGG) recording which is my favourite (the Thompson and Diamond are great works as well).
Thank you for bringing that CD up Jeffrey.  That one is included in this set (which I have and need to dip into further):

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Scion7

also:
https://www.classicalsource.com/cd/tamsin-waley-cohen-plays-violin-concertos-by-roy-harris-and-john-adams-bbc-symphony-orchestra-andrew-litton-signum/

The Fulkerson is also maaah-velous.

Concerto for Violin and Orchestra
HARRIS-Fulkerson, Louisville Orchestra, Smith
Vigoroso-5/8-♩. =100-2/2-d =52-Cadenza-d =52
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on December 12, 2023, 12:49:11 AMI was just listening to the Louisville recording last night!
That's a fine CD too Paul - I was also listening to it this week. I thought that it was a much older recording than 1980s. I like all three works on that CD.

Scion7

It's a 1960 recording, origninally.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on December 12, 2023, 02:49:09 PMIt's a 1960 recording, origninally.
Thanks - the CD says 1980's I think but 60s makes more sense.