The Music Room > Composer Discussion

The Snowshoed Sibelius

<< < (619/625) > >>

DavidW:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on October 06, 2021, 04:10:15 AM ---I don't think that VW composed anything as great or original (maybe his 6th Symphony) as Tapiola or the 4th Symphony of Sibelius.

--- End quote ---

True but RVW influenced generations of composers touching everything from neoromantic orchestral music to film scores.

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: DavidW on October 06, 2021, 07:28:54 AM ---True but RVW influenced generations of composers touching everything from neoromantic orchestral music to film scores.

--- End quote ---
Yes, I very much agree. I think that VW was a great composer.

Symphonic Addict:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on October 06, 2021, 04:10:15 AM ---I think that VW was much more influenced by Sibelius than the other way round. VW dedicated his 5th Symphony to Sibelius - who sent a polite reply thanking VW for the dedication. I suspect that VW excised the best section (IMO) of 'A London Symphony' (at the end) under the influence of Sibelius who was at the height of his fame in England in the 1930s. Personally I think that final revision was a mistake as whatever the symphony gained in concision it lost in poetic atmosphere. I think that Sibelius was the greater composer but VW remains my favourite. I don't think that VW composed anything as great or original (maybe his 6th Symphony) as Tapiola or the 4th Symphony of Sibelius.

--- End quote ---

Interesting point of view, Jeffrey. I think both composers were original and great in their own ways, and I couldn't live without any of them.

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 07, 2021, 03:42:44 PM ---Interesting point of view, Jeffrey. I think both composers were original and great in their own ways, and I couldn't live without any of them.

--- End quote ---
Same here Cesar. VW's 5th Symphony was clearly influenced by Sibelius (its dedicatee) and I think that Moeran's Symphony (one of my favourite symphonies) shows the influence even more. I can't detect any influence of VW in Sibelius's own music. This is not to take anything away from VW's own greatness and, of course, unlike Sibelius, he was able to produce wonderful scores, like the 9th Symphony, into his 80s whereas Sibelius stopped composing decades earlier.

Symphonic Addict:
Does anyone know this recording of Kullervo? If it is the Rasilainen that conducted Atterberg, I want to hear it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version