Author Topic: The Snowshoed Sibelius  (Read 445507 times)

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
Re: The Snowshoed Sibelius
« Reply #3220 on: September 22, 2022, 03:28:42 PM »
I know Hurwitz (on his YouTube channel) really hates the Colin Davis London Symphony set - but I REALLY love that set now. I love all of Davis's Sibelius.

Maybe it isn't that he hates it, just that it doesn't compare to Colin Davis's Boston Symphony Sibelius Cycle which is exceptional.  The LSO cycle is meh in comparison.  When I heard Davis/LSO, I was hoping for a digital version of BSO but it was a sleeper version where BSO was on fire. 

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3221 on: September 23, 2022, 02:42:46 AM »
Maybe it isn't that he hates it, just that it doesn't compare to Colin Davis's Boston Symphony Sibelius Cycle which is exceptional.  The LSO cycle is meh in comparison.  When I heard Davis/LSO, I was hoping for a digital version of BSO but it was a sleeper version where BSO was on fire.
I also prefer the Boston SO set. However, there is a wonderful LSO CD of tone poems which I'd strongly recommend:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
  • Currently Listening to:
    Walton, Nielsen, Bartok, Janacek, Martinu, Dvorak, Shostakovich, Prokofiev
« Reply #3222 on: September 23, 2022, 04:48:52 AM »
I agree the Colin Davis BSO set is his best and truly incredible!

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #3223 on: September 23, 2022, 01:33:23 PM »
Well damn, guys, I truly do not need another Sibelius cycle, but these comments are seriously tempting me to seek out the Colin Davis Boston set which I know is very inexpensive. But no, I'll resist (for now).

Lately I've been listening to Ashkenazy/Philharmonia and Maazel/Vienna. I do have a few minor reservations about both of them, but they are both incredible takes on the music.

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #3224 on: September 23, 2022, 03:25:30 PM »
Well damn, guys, I truly do not need another Sibelius cycle, but these comments are seriously tempting me to seek out the Colin Davis Boston set which I know is very inexpensive. But no, I'll resist (for now).

Lately I've been listening to Ashkenazy/Philharmonia and Maazel/Vienna. I do have a few minor reservations about both of them, but they are both incredible takes on the music.

If you like those (which I also admire), you'll love Colin Davis Boston.  It's excellent.