Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 09, 2021, 05:17:57 AM
I only have 3 complete sets:

Maazel/Vienna

Maazel/Pittsburgh

Jarvi/Gothenburg - DG

I really only listen to Maazel/Vienna, as that is by far my favourite. The Jarvi is ok. The Maazel/Pittsburgh I don't like much at all, it has been a big disappointment for me.

I think that the Maazel Vienna set, which includes a fine 'Tapiola' is excellent. I have this beautifully presented set. I realise that I have both Colin Davis cycles making 17 now ( ::)) although I've given some away:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2021, 11:04:39 PM
I think that the Maazel Vienna set, which includes a fine 'Tapiola' is excellent. I have this beautifully presented set. I realise that I have both Colin Davis cycles making 17 now ( ::)) although I've given some away:

I should invest in this set (the remastered Maazel/Vienna). I have the original London set. Is the remastered a noticeable improvement in sound? Not that I found the original bad at all, sound wise.

Madiel

I have one recording of each symphony (and one cycle).

I might eventually get some other recordings (indeed there are certain ones on my list of things to listen to at some point), but really I've been prioritising exploring and collecting Sibelius' other works. Only some of which would have 15-16 recordings available in the first place.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 10, 2021, 03:25:19 AM
I should invest in this set (the remastered Maazel/Vienna). I have the original London set. Is the remastered a noticeable improvement in sound? Not that I found the original bad at all, sound wise.
I don't have the original London set, just the CD below, but I was v impressed by both the sound and performances on the remastered set:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Let's see how many complete Sibelius symphony cycles I own...

Vänskä/Lahti
Vänskä/Minnesota
Segerstam/Helsinki
Berglund/Bournemouth
Berglund/Helsinki
Maazel/Wiener
Maazel/Pittsburgh
Bernstein/NY
Barbirolli/Halle
Davis/Boston
Davis/LSO
Davis/LSO Live
Järvi/Gothenburg
Saraste/Finnish RSO
Saraste/Finnish RSO (Live)
Gibson/Royal Scottish
Sakari/Iceland
Inkinen/New Zealand
Abravanel/Utah
Rattle/Birmingham
Rattle/Berliners
Ashkenazy/Philharmonia
Rozhdestvensky/Moscow RSO
Sanderling/Berliner SO
Volmer/Adelaide
Oramo/Birmingham
Kamu/Lahti
Lintu/Finnish RSO (on blu-ray)

Biffo

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 10, 2021, 06:52:49 AM

Vänskä/Lahti
Vänskä/Minnesota
Segerstam/Helsinki
Berglund/Bournemouth
Berglund/Helsinki
Maazel/Wiener
Maazel/Pittsburgh
Bernstein/NY
Barbirolli/Halle
Davis/Boston
Davis/LSO
Davis/LSO Live
Järvi/Gothenburg
Saraste/Finnish RSO

Gibson/Royal Scottish
Sakari/Iceland
Inkinen/New Zealand
Abravanel/Utah
Rattle/Birmingham
Rattle/Berliners
Ashkenazy/Philharmonia
Sanderling/Berliner SO
Volmer/Adelaide

Interesting to see Saraste has two complete cycles, I only have his fine recording of No 2 with the Finnish RSO, will obviously have to check this out.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on April 10, 2021, 07:37:08 AM
Interesting to see Saraste has two complete cycles, I only have his fine recording of No 2 with the Finnish RSO, will obviously have to check this out.

I really enjoy his Finnish RSO live cycle (live in St. Petersburg if I'm not mistaken) and it's the Saraste to hear, IMHO. His earlier cycle (on RCA) is just kind of ho-hum for me with no real excitement or energy being brought to the music. Make no mistake though, Saraste is a fine Sibelian but, like anyone, he's done some duds.

Roasted Swan

Vänskä/Lahti
Vänskä/Minnesota
Segerstam/Helsinki
Berglund/Bournemouth
Berglund/Helsinki
Maazel/Wiener
Maazel/Pittsburgh
Bernstein/NY
Barbirolli/Halle
Davis/Boston
Davis/LSO
Davis/LSO Live
Järvi/Gothenburg
Saraste/Finnish RSO
Gibson/Royal Scottish
Sakari/Iceland
Inkinen/New Zealand
Abravanel/Utah
Rattle/Birmingham
Rattle/Berliners
Ashkenazy/Philharmonia
Sanderling/Berliner SO
Volmer/Adelaide

Wot no Kamu/Lahti???!!!   ;) (I also think Oramo in Birmingham is a lot better than some would say...)

Biffo

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 10, 2021, 07:50:50 AM
I really enjoy his Finnish RSO live cycle (live in St. Petersburg if I'm not mistaken) and it's the Saraste to hear, IMHO. His earlier cycle (on RCA) is just kind of ho-hum for me with no real excitement or energy being brought to the music. Make no mistake though, Saraste is a fine Sibelian but, like anyone, he's done some duds.

Thanks for the comments. I have ordered the RCA cycle, will have to see how I find it. I am sure I had checked before for his Sibelius recordings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 10, 2021, 07:58:55 AM
Wot no Kamu/Lahti???!!!   ;) (I also think Oramo in Birmingham is a lot better than some would say...)

Damn, I forgot about Kamu and Oramo! Thanks for the reminder! ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on April 10, 2021, 08:18:07 AM
Thanks for the comments. I have ordered the RCA cycle, will have to see how I find it. I am sure I had checked before for his Sibelius recordings.

Will be curious to read your comments once you've received the set and had time to give the set a proper listen.

vandermolen

I've been really enjoying this inexpensive set. I have just listened to the short cantata 'Snofrid' for the first time - a most enjoyable piece:

Irons

Vänskä/Lahti
Vänskä/Minnesota
Segerstam/Helsinki
Berglund/Bournemouth
Berglund/Helsinki
Maazel/Wiener
Maazel/Pittsburgh
Bernstein/NY
Barbirolli/Halle
Davis/Boston
Davis/LSO
Davis/LSO Live
Järvi/Gothenburg
Saraste/Finnish RSO
Gibson/Royal Scottish
Sakari/Iceland
Inkinen/New Zealand
Abravanel/Utah
Rattle/Birmingham
Rattle/Berliners
Ashkenazy/Philharmonia
Sanderling/Berliner SO
Volmer/Adelaide
Oramo/Birmingham
Kamu/Lahti

Blimey!

The two cycles I would love to own are not featured on any list above. Hans Schmidt - Isserstedt won't appear because he didn't make one! But wish he did as his 2nd is outstanding (available as an upload on Pristine Classical). I did not buy CDs when for a short period a live set recorded by Horst Stein in Japan was available. I am kicking myself missing out!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 11, 2021, 01:07:27 AM
Blimey!

The two cycles I would love to own are not featured on any list above. Hans Schmidt - Isserstedt won't appear because he didn't make one! But wish he did as his 2nd is outstanding (available as an upload on Pristine Classical). I did not buy CDs when for a short period a live set recorded by Horst Stein in Japan was available. I am kicking myself missing out!
I have this enjoyable set Lol, which includes a fine Second Symphony. The set includes the contents on one of my earliest classical LPs of Sibelius's Tone Poems:

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 11, 2021, 01:40:49 AM
I have this enjoyable set Lol, which includes a fine Second Symphony. The set includes the contents on one of my earliest classical LPs of Sibelius's Tone Poems:

+1 for the Horst Stein set.  His disc with a clearly inspired L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande includes my favourite En Saga and a thrilling Night-ride and Sunrise as well.  One of my first CD purchases I think;

but available in several recouplings/reincarnations since......

A PS:  PD - you really ought to hear this PD as well - what a version!!

aukhawk

There are also interesting cycles from Berglund / COE, Ashkenazy / Stockholm, Jarvi / Gothenburg / BIS, Leaper / Slovak, Paavo Jarvi / Paris, and historically Collins, Watanabe, Ehrling -
and yet, and yet - one could have all these listed, and still not have a favourite version of one or other of the four last symphonies.

Regarding Saraste, I rather like his 6th (RCA) - quite a robust reading which contrasts with the mainstream approach of delicate, almost chamber-like music.  Of course I'm happy to go along with the mainstream (Karajan / DG would be my favourite but the sound is not too good, IMHO) but Saraste is an unusual alternative.

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on April 11, 2021, 07:09:15 AM
There are also interesting cycles from Berglund / COE, Ashkenazy / Stockholm, Jarvi / Gothenburg / BIS, Leaper / Slovak, Paavo Jarvi / Paris, and historically Collins, Watanabe, Ehrling -
and yet, and yet - one could have all these listed, and still not have a favourite version of one or other of the four last symphonies.

Regarding Saraste, I rather like his 6th (RCA) - quite a robust reading which contrasts with the mainstream approach of delicate, almost chamber-like music.  Of course I'm happy to go along with the mainstream (Karajan / DG would be my favourite but the sound is not too good, IMHO) but Saraste is an unusual alternative.
I've liked the Sarasate recordings which I've heard. The one below has an excellent 'En Saga' and 'Tapiola' as well as Symphony No.5:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 11, 2021, 01:40:49 AM

This is the Horst Stein set I was alluding to, Jeffrey. I thought it complete but maybe mistaken, unless another issue.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 11, 2021, 01:00:30 PM
This is the Horst Stein set I was alluding to, Jeffrey. I thought it complete but maybe mistaken, unless another issue.
Thanks Lol. Never seen that one before.

Brian

Over on eClassical, BIS founder Robert von Bahr relates that Sibelius' music for Masonic rituals almost never got recorded or included in the Complete Works. Finland's Freemasons were totally against it, being very secretive and unwilling to let the music be heard by non-Masons. Luckily the tenor soloist von Bahr had recruited for the album, Hannu Jurmu, was a Freemason himself, so Jurmu persuaded them to allow the album to be made.