The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Quote from: Leo K. on September 22, 2022, 09:17:32 AM
I know Hurwitz (on his YouTube channel) really hates the Colin Davis London Symphony set - but I REALLY love that set now. I love all of Davis's Sibelius.

Maybe it isn't that he hates it, just that it doesn't compare to Colin Davis's Boston Symphony Sibelius Cycle which is exceptional.  The LSO cycle is meh in comparison.  When I heard Davis/LSO, I was hoping for a digital version of BSO but it was a sleeper version where BSO was on fire. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on September 22, 2022, 04:28:42 PM
Maybe it isn't that he hates it, just that it doesn't compare to Colin Davis's Boston Symphony Sibelius Cycle which is exceptional.  The LSO cycle is meh in comparison.  When I heard Davis/LSO, I was hoping for a digital version of BSO but it was a sleeper version where BSO was on fire.
I also prefer the Boston SO set. However, there is a wonderful LSO CD of tone poems which I'd strongly recommend:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Leo K.

I agree the Colin Davis BSO set is his best and truly incredible!

vers la flamme

Well damn, guys, I truly do not need another Sibelius cycle, but these comments are seriously tempting me to seek out the Colin Davis Boston set which I know is very inexpensive. But no, I'll resist (for now).

Lately I've been listening to Ashkenazy/Philharmonia and Maazel/Vienna. I do have a few minor reservations about both of them, but they are both incredible takes on the music.

relm1

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 23, 2022, 02:33:23 PM
Well damn, guys, I truly do not need another Sibelius cycle, but these comments are seriously tempting me to seek out the Colin Davis Boston set which I know is very inexpensive. But no, I'll resist (for now).

Lately I've been listening to Ashkenazy/Philharmonia and Maazel/Vienna. I do have a few minor reservations about both of them, but they are both incredible takes on the music.

If you like those (which I also admire), you'll love Colin Davis Boston.  It's excellent. 

Brian

apropos of nothing, my ideal cycle, without repeating conductors:

1 - Segerstam/Helsinki
2 - Paray/Detroit (especially if you could edit out his humming)
3 - Mustonen/Helsinki Festival
4 - Ashkenazy/Philharmonia
5 - Bernstein/New York
6 - Blomstedt/San Francisco
7 - not sure I could identify one that is ideal.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Leo K. on September 22, 2022, 09:17:32 AM
I know Hurwitz (on his YouTube channel) really hates the Colin Davis London Symphony set - but I REALLY love that set now. I love all of Davis's Sibelius.

https://www.youtube.com/v/GLLJJvhJk20

LKB

Bah, Hurwitz. He's neither God nor infallible.  I'll allow he does perform a service after a fashion, but there have always been critics l've trusted more.

The Davis Sibelius cycle is widely respected, and justly so. When it was new we plugged it at Tower, and I'm still willing to do so now.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Jo498

In my understanding the most respected Sibelius symphonies by Davis were the Boston recordings from the 1970s. But this might be because they had a head start.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: LKB on November 14, 2022, 09:32:06 PM
but there have always been critics l've trusted more.

Such as?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

Quote from: Irons on November 16, 2022, 11:53:03 PM
You are not asking me but Robert Layton knows his Sibelius.

https://youtu.be/dN9BDWPdtIo

I wasn't specifically asking about Sibelius reviews. The basic issue is which critics I can actually go and read/listen to on a regular basis.

The BBC record review is in fact one of the better alternative options I know about, so long as you can find a relevant episode.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: Madiel on November 17, 2022, 01:10:39 AM
I wasn't specifically asking about Sibelius reviews. The basic issue is which critics I can actually go and read/listen to on a regular basis.

The BBC record review is in fact one of the better alternative options I know about, so long as you can find a relevant episode.

Fair enough and of course Robert Layton is not still with us. The problem for me, perhaps I'm easily led, is even a critic I believe in can do more harm then good. I have met Tully Potter and admire him for his vast knowledge of music and recordings. I am at present listening to a lot of recordings by Quartetto Italiano after a hiatus caused by TP's critique that though a fine ensemble they lacked rhythmic drive. Maybe they do but you wouldn't notice, on the other hand their phrasing is out of this world.     
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

LKB

Quartetto Italiano made enough outstanding records to find a spot on anyone's shelf. I have them doing the Beethoven Late Quartets, with Hollywood on one side and Berg on the other.

As far as critics are concerned, the " young and manic " phase of my classical acquisitions roughly corresponded with the heyday of the Penguin Stereo Guide. Messers Greenfield, Layton and March were avidly perused, with the odd peek at a recent Fanfare thrown in at irregular intervals.

My boss at Tower Records was the Classical buyer ( and resident J.S. Bach fanatic ) for the store, and l learned to trust his judgement with composers and/or ensembles l wasn't familiar with.

And yes, l was referring to the Davis/BSO/ Philips cycle.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on November 14, 2022, 02:34:34 PM
apropos of nothing, my ideal cycle, without repeating conductors:

1 - Segerstam/Helsinki
2 - Paray/Detroit (especially if you could edit out his humming)
3 - Mustonen/Helsinki Festival
4 - Ashkenazy/Philharmonia
5 - Bernstein/New York
6 - Blomstedt/San Francisco
7 - not sure I could identify one that is ideal.

Interesting. Mine is:

1 - Segerstam/Helsinki
2 - Szell/Cleveland
3 - Ashkenazy/Philharmonia
4 - Maazel/Vienna
5 - Rattle/Philharmonia
6 - Davis/Boston
7 - Inkinen/New Zealand

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Oh, shoot, if that Szell 2 is the live one from Tokyo, that is a great choice and I regret mine now  ;D I considered Inkinen for 7. One of the few to get the final coda right.

vandermolen

This evening's list :)

1: Stokowski
2: Beecham (live)
3: Segerstam (Chandos)
4: Beecham/Maazel
5: Sargent (BBC)
6: Collins
7: Koussevitsky/Kajanus
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on November 17, 2022, 10:20:42 AM
Oh, shoot, if that Szell 2 is the live one from Tokyo

It is  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SurprisedByBeauty

I Updated the Sibelius Symphony Cycle Survey:

Namely the remaining Mark Elder & Halle release(s) have been added, finally, after that cycle was completed. And the complete Karajan recordings of his Sibelius for DG have been issued in a fab CD/Blu-ray set. Yes, not a cycle, technically, but the 4th alone justifies its inclusion. And it includes both the 60s and 80s recordings of the symphonic poems.

A Survey of Sibelius Symphony Cycles

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 17, 2022, 08:43:48 AMInteresting. Mine is:

1 - Segerstam/Helsinki
2 - Szell/Cleveland
3 - Ashkenazy/Philharmonia
4 - Maazel/Vienna
5 - Rattle/Philharmonia
6 - Davis/Boston
7 - Inkinen/New Zealand

Sarge

1 - Berglund/COE/Warner
2 - Barbirolli/Royal Phil/Chesky
3 - Kletzki/Philharmonia/Testament
4 - Karajan/Berlin/DG
5 - Celibidache/Swedish RSO/DG
6 - Vänskä/Lahti/BIS
7 - Segerstam/Helsinki/Ondine

Notable mentions: Mravisnky 7th and Segerstam in everything. Oh, and Sanderling. And Maazel.