The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2015, 07:26:53 AM
The only problem I'm having with Sibelius and trying to get some kind of grip on him is his maddening chronology of opuses and trying to tie them together in my own mind in the correct order.

Yes, well, this is why I'm going through the process of writing it out.

www.sibelius.fi  is pretty comprehensive when it comes to setting out original versions, revisions, arrangements and the times when Sibelius was just being a bit of a pain with the numbering (like the Arioso, op.3, which is way out of kilter but I've seen speculation he was trying to pass it off as an early work because he wasn't giving it to his usual publisher!)

The original versions of The Origin of Fire and Impromptu belong between the 1st and 2nd symphonies, if that helps. They just predate the 2nd symphony.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: orfeo on June 05, 2015, 07:36:29 AM
Yes, well, this is why I'm going through the process of writing it out.

www.sibelius.fi  is pretty comprehensive when it comes to setting out original versions, revisions, arrangements and the times when Sibelius was just being a bit of a pain with the numbering (like the Arioso, op.3, which is way out of kilter but I've seen speculation he was trying to pass it off as an early work because he wasn't giving it to his usual publisher!)

The original versions of The Origin of Fire and Impromptu belong between the 1st and 2nd symphonies, if that helps. They just predate the 2nd symphony.

That's a great site! My buddy Karlo (North Star) turned me onto the site which I had no prior knowledge of. It's nicely laid out, too, and if you go through the works like the symphonies for example, the site takes you through the work with audio samples. Very cool! 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2015, 06:22:47 AM
Yes, you'll have Tapiola with that recording of Symphonies Nos. 6 & 7. This tone poems recording is just fantastic. Superb from start to finish.

Have ordered it!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on June 05, 2015, 07:29:51 AM
I don't think I'd know what an immature symphony sounds like, but I do know the impact the first symphony had on me when I was nobbut a lad, hearing Sibelius for the first time. Kapow!, it was. The others are wonderful of course, but the first is still my tiptop favourite of the seven, immature or not.

Well, had I been kapowed, that were another matter!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 30, 2015, 06:53:46 PM
Sorry for the late reply, Jeffrey (so many posts to look through these past couple of days). Swanwhite has to be one of Sibelius' most luscious works. Just one gorgeous moment after another. Almost sugary sweet, but there still a chance of frostbite even in this music. ;) Karelia is a fun work. I listened to it several nights ago. Very enjoyable. Will have to make a mental of note of your observations next time I listen to it.
Hello John - I thoroughly enjoyed the lovely 'Swanwhite' which I found on this super Sibelius collection, going very cheaply, second-hand, on Amazon UK. Thanks very much for the recommendation:
[asin]B000000ARM[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

I've concluded that from about the Violin Concerto (op.47) onwards the opus numbers have some rational basis, maybe as far back as op.41. Occasionally it's tricky with a collection of pieces (eg small piano works) or with incidental music that was refashioned to stand alone, but it's at least possible to see why a number was assigned.

Numbers up to 40 are sometimes accurate, sometimes off by a decade or two.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2015, 01:13:20 PM
Hello John - I thoroughly enjoyed the lovely 'Swanwhite' which I found on this super Sibelius collection, going very cheaply, second-hand, on Amazon UK. Thanks very much for the recommendation:
[asin]B000000ARM[/asin]
Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2015, 08:07:17 AM
Have ordered it!

Great to hear, Jeffrey! Yes, that Sakari/Iceland SO recording does look rather like. I may end up buying it at some point. Thanks for the recommendation as well. ;) Happy to hear you enjoyed Swanwhite! It's a gorgeous work.

Brian

That new Naxos disc with Leif Segerstam conducting a Sibelius miscellany? It's the first in a 6-volume series "of orchestral works by Jean Sibelius falling outside his symphonies, violin concerto and tone poems." The headliner for Volume 2 (July) will be Belshazzar's Feast. Segerstam will be in charge of the full series. Good complement to his celebrated symphony cycle, I guess!

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on June 06, 2015, 08:11:25 AM
That new Naxos disc with Leif Segerstam conducting a Sibelius miscellany? It's the first in a 6-volume series "of orchestral works by Jean Sibelius falling outside his symphonies, violin concerto and tone poems." The headliner for Volume 2 (July) will be Belshazzar's Feast. Segerstam will be in charge of the full series. Good complement to his celebrated symphony cycle, I guess!

Ooh. Well that might fill my library nicely.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on June 06, 2015, 08:11:25 AM

Wow! Six volumes?!?!? Sounds awesome! I can't wait. Of course, I'll be collecting them all as Segerstam is one my favorite Sibelians.

TheGSMoeller

Bernstein's Sibelius. Mainly the DG series with Vienna. What say you bunch of the Snowshoed?
I've been rediscovering this mini-cycle, all four symphonies are superbly performed, but the 2nd is as majestic as they come. I don't think I've heard the 2nd so grand. It really is exhilarating.

Mirror Image

I really need to give Bernstein's DG partial cycle another listen as it's been years. I love his cycle on Columbia (Sony), so it will be interesting to hear how his approach has changed.

I actually own the Bernstein DG Sibelius in this incarnation:

[asin]B0001WGDXK[/asin]

vandermolen

The Vanska BIS CD of symphonies 6,7 and Tapiola is indeed sensational in all respects. These are as fine a version as I have heard of all three works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 07, 2015, 08:34:09 AM
The Vanska BIS CD of symphonies 6,7 and Tapiola is indeed sensational in all respects. These are as fine a version as I have heard of all three works.

Thumbs up, Jeffrey. Indeed, sensational performances.

Jaakko Keskinen

And now I am once again love with 5th. That swan theme's golden glow is glorious in the last movement. The Bard doesn't sound bad, either. Strange how easily I change my mind. Maybe it's the recording that counts.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on June 08, 2015, 05:17:29 AM
And now I am once again love with 5th. That swan theme's golden glow is glorious in the last movement. The Bard doesn't sound bad, either. Strange how easily I change my mind. Maybe it's the recording that counts.

Good to hear and I never thought The Bard sounded bad. I take it you did? ???

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 08, 2015, 06:29:23 AM
Good to hear and I never thought The Bard sounded bad. I take it you did? ???

Well, not bad but it was for a long time the only tone poem by Sibelius that I didn't consider particularly impressive. I was baffled by how it didn't really seem to go anywhere. But I no longer consider that a bad attribute and I may have been mistaken, in any case. I may have listened to a bad recording, my taste may have improved, or maybe I hadn't listened to it often enough. Whatever the reasons, I like it considerably more now.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 07, 2015, 07:37:47 PM
Thumbs up, Jeffrey. Indeed, sensational performances.
And thanks for your recommendation John. Although I know these works so well I was riveted from the opening of Symphony 6.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 08, 2015, 07:57:31 AM
And thanks for your recommendation John. Although I know these works so well I was riveted from the opening of Symphony 6.

You're welcome, Jeffrey. I knew these symphonies incredibly well before ever venturing into the Vanska cycle, but Vanska certainly helped cement my love of these symphonies.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 08, 2015, 06:44:25 AM
Many people prefer Maazel's Vienna cycle to his Pittsburgh one, but I'm not completely onboard with either cycle. I may need to plan a revisit of the Vienna one. What other cycles do you own, Peter?

Yes, I have yet to get a feel for Maazel's recordings overall. He seems to have a reputation for being uneven. I am curious about his early recordings on DG. Have you heard any of those recordings? Sibelius: If I recall correctly the Pittsburgh cycle is a bit glacial for me, but some listeners argue that it brings out new aspects in the music. Perhaps Maazel's Pittsburgh cycle is the Celibidache version of Sibelius?  At this point I prefer the Wiener Philharmoniker cycle out of the two.  In terms of Sibelius cycles - way too many at about 15/16, but few compared to your 25 cycles (or is it 26 now?  ;)).  In my mind Lahti/Vänskä rules although I would like to hear the Minnesota recordings (1/4 & 2/5).   :)   Still, it is hard to choose among so many great cycles (as I am sure you are well aware).

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé