The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: edward on September 26, 2007, 10:45:47 AM
Of course, once you have the Maazel cycle, then you need the single Legends disc to get his Tapiola too, thus duplicating 4 & 7. Bah.

I agree you need Maazel's Tapiola too. You can avoid duplication by finding a copy of this CD:

Kord directs the New Philharmonia in the other Sibelius works. Hopefully you can find it cheaper than this  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Greta on September 25, 2007, 04:17:41 PM
The crashing accelerandos, spinning the Viennese into a frenzy, the sinewy strings, round clear winds, and towering unshakable horns, this is perhaps the dream 1st, so far, for me.

It's remained my dream First for the last 34 years. Maazel's Vienna version of the Fourth is my favorite of that symphony too as I've often said here.

Sarge

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Hi,

what do you think about this Finlandia?

[mp3=200,20,0,left]http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/21/1446950/Finlandia2.mp3[/mp3]

Compared with many other Finlandias, this is played differently, more staccato like. The one and only performance which I like. It's from Rozhdestvensky/LSO.

EDIT: The plugin plays way too fast (here), pls download the file.

longears

Boy, the sound quality is awful, but the performance sounds worth hearing.  Can't tell much from the short clip.  Have you heard Segerstam's with the HPO?  That's a Finlandia performance I enjoy.

As for performances I don't enjoy...last night I put on Szell leading the RCO in the 2nd.  I couldn't take it...way too pumped up and "dramatic."

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Hmm, the Rozh/LSO has a rather good quality. But I converted to CBR/96, because I don't want to offer high quality pieces...

Yes I know one Segerstam/HPO, it's with choir, together with Sym. #4 iirc. Very powerful. In terms of timing I like the Rozh more.

Greta

Hey Sibelians...anyone else here have the scores and like to study them? :) I am working on obtaining the scores to the symphonies and tone poems, and they are just fascinating. Sibelius was both way ahead of his time and endearingly behind it. His writing is so utterly sophisticated, and...well, natural is somehow a good word.

I have been looking at the 5th (and the 2nd) scores recently, and I'm blown away...it's also so neat to listen to different recordings and hear how freely the writing is interpreted. The best ones (for me) take a lot of freedom within lines, with rubato, so the effect is like the rippling of a brook, or rustling of wind through the leaves. :D

I've also been checking out Volume 1 of Erik Tawastsjerna's "Sibelius" - it is amazingly good, detail to the max, discussion of he and and his relationships with contemporaries, his personal life, and great analyses of the compositions - but it is in 3 volumes (to cover his whole life) and it is incredibly expensive, plus I'm having trouble even locating where to get it.  ;) (Hehe, christmas present!)

PS - There's a cycle with Oramo and the Finnish RSO now on Operashare, from the 2006 Bergen International Festival. And over on SymphonyCast's website, check out Vanska and Minnesota with a gorgeous Sibelius 2nd. And...there is indication from some who have went, that the current LA cycle is being recorded for iTunes....  0:)

marvinbrown

Hello everyone, I am posting here because I am new to Sibelius and have been looking for a new composer to explore. I always like to discover new music, last month I discovered Brunckner and now I am looking into exploring Sibelius.  So why Sibelius, well quite honestly because I read that, much like Bruckner, he was a great admirer of WAGNER  0:), my favorite composer.  So what I'd like to ask is how "WAGNERIAN" are Sibelius' works? Where should I start? What should I expect? and most importantly what should I look forward to?

marvin (Sibelius Newbie)

PS:  Why is Sibelius Snowshoed  ??? ??   

Mark

Quote from: marvinbrown on October 23, 2007, 05:15:37 AM

Hello everyone, I am posting here because I am new to Sibelius and have been looking for a new composer to explore. I always like to discover new music, last month I discovered Brunckner and now I am looking into exploring Sibelius.  So why Sibelius, well quite honestly because I read that, much like Bruckner, he was a great admirer of WAGNER  0:), my favorite composer.  So what I'd like to ask is how "WAGNERIAN" are Sibelius' works? Where should I start? What should I expect? and most importantly what should I look forward to?

marvin (Sibelius Newbie)

Marvin, your training shall commence with recordings of Symphonies Nos. 2, 3, 5, 6 & 7. Others will undoubtedly wail that I've left out No. 4 (some might even challenge the exclusion of No. 1), but I'm prepared to live with this. ;D

Welcome to the world of Sibelius, my favourite composer after Beethoven.

Lethevich

Unfortunately, from what I gather, Sibelius was initially interested in Wagner, but then diverged from this path during his maturity. Even his early works don't have too many similarities (his first two symphonies are more reminicent of Tchaikovsky, for example). The unnumbered Kullervo symphony may be the nearest to Wagner, but only in it being a large and dramatic work - stylistically he is not as similar to Wagner as Bruckner was. As an original composer in his own right though, he is incredible, and with many inexpensive ways to buy his symphonies and tone poems, can be explored cheaply.

His music represents the frosty north :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

marvinbrown

Thank you Mark and Lethe for the speedy response.  WOW Mark, for you Sibelius comes right after Beethoven that says a lot.  Lethe thanks for answering my queries regarding Wagner,  and I think I'll go along with Mark and your suggestion and start with the Symphonies.

marvin

Mark

Quote from: marvinbrown on October 23, 2007, 05:28:34 AM

Thank you Mark and Lethe for the speedy response.  WOW Mark, for you Sibelius comes right after Beethoven that says a lot.  Lethe thanks for answering my queries regarding Wagner,  and I think I'll go along with Mark and your suggestion and start with the Symphonies.

marvin

Currently on Amazon, two twofers you ought not to pass up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000041BV/ref=s9_asin_image_1/026-2676685-3936431?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1TK3KVD7EB703TPZFPNB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=139045791&pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sibelius-Symphonies-Nos-Violin-Concerto/dp/B0000041BW/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_b/026-2676685-3936431

Sergeant Rock

marvin (Sibelius Newbie)

Hey, Marvin. Knowing you as a Wagnerian, hence a lover of vocal music, I'd suggest beginning your exploration with Kullervo. The Davis live LSO account is mighty fine (althought personally I prefer the slower tempos in his RCA set) and can be had for a fiver. Don't expect anything like Wagner though. Sibelius was his own man even this early in his career.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mark on October 23, 2007, 05:32:07 AM
Currently on Amazon, two twofers you ought not to pass up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000041BV/ref=s9_asin_image_1/026-2676685-3936431?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1TK3KVD7EB703TPZFPNB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=139045791&pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sibelius-Symphonies-Nos-Violin-Concerto/dp/B0000041BW/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_b/026-2676685-3936431

I also like Davis's Boston cycle. His symphonies 3 and 6 are especially good (that Sixth perfect IMO). But as a first set I'd go for this one and it's even cheaper. Maazel and Vienna are phenomenal in the First, Fourth and Seventh.

Sarge

karlhenning

Quote from: Mark on October 23, 2007, 05:19:50 AM
Marvin, your training shall commence with recordings of Symphonies Nos. 2, 3, 5, 6 & 7.

What! You've left out № 4!!  8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on October 23, 2007, 05:49:07 AM

Perhaps not the best place to start a Sibelius exploration. I agree with Mark.

Sarge

Lethevich

So many great Sibelius cycles for so little money :D The Sanderling/Brilliant Classics one is very worthy, plus the Berglund/EMI - I agree that the Davis/Boston cycle is minutely better than his LSO/RCA one, which in turn is better than his LSO Live cycle (excepting the Kullervo which is very, very good).

The Davis LSO/RCA set also comes with a Kullervo which means that Marvin could pick them all up at once - but this obsession with boxed sets is perhaps bad to force on someone who doesn't even know if they like the music yet :D

Edit: Linked each set for convenience.

Keemun

Quote from: karlhenning on October 23, 2007, 05:49:07 AM

I was just listening to No. 4 when I began reading the new posts in this thread and I would agree with skipping No. 4 in the beginning.  Actually, I might save No. 7 for a later date as well.  From my personal experience, it took a while to get into that symphony. 
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Lethevich

Quote from: Keemun on October 23, 2007, 05:57:13 AM
I was just listening to No. 4 when I began reading the new posts in this thread and I would agree with skipping No. 4 in the beginning.  Actually, I might save No. 7 for a later date as well.  From my personal experience, it took a while to get into that symphony. 

Indeedie. Many would add number 6 so the list, but that was the one which grabbed me first...

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 23, 2007, 05:50:45 AM
Perhaps not the best place to start a Sibelius exploration. I agree with Mark.

Sarge

Quote from: Keemun on October 23, 2007, 05:57:13 AM

[ A ] Consider this not quite in the light of opposition . . . regarding Mark's statement:

Quote from: Our esteemed MarkMarvin, your training shall commence with recordings of Symphonies Nos. 2, 3, 5, 6 & 7.

The training is commencing not with any one symphony (to which I might propose the substitution of № 4), but with some 2+ hours of music, all the symphonies but № 4 (and 1) (and I'm okay with Mark living with my mini-wail).

[ B ] You never know;  for some people, № 4 may be the Sibelius Lever.  All I say is, it's possible (the freethinker in me).