The Instrumental Rock thread

Started by greg, September 16, 2007, 02:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Here's two songs from an album i bought my dad a couple years ago. The guitarist is this guy called Dave Atherton, who lives in NY. Why is this guy's music totally underappreciated and unknown? It's sad, really, what they have on the radio and i have to go online to guitar9.com to find any rock music that's actually good, or even interesting.

greg

anyways, i should probably take these files down soon, maybe tomorrow  ;D

greg

they don't load all the way it seems.
and this isn't good, you just have to listen to the solos!  :o

this guy is just another guy who isn't rewarded for having a superior musical mind in comparison to the popular bands that everyone knows. Not many care for instrumental rock because they either think music has to have singing, or they just never get a chance to hear it.

here's where i got the album- check it out- no, buy it!  8)
http://www.guitar9.com/purist.html

everyone else can post whatever they want here for discussion

The Mad Hatter

Bogey

Sounds like The Scorpions to me Greg.....that is, what was popular with my crowd in the late 70's and or 80's.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

greg

cheesy  ???
hmmm that's hard to understand

Quote from: Bogey on September 16, 2007, 02:41:48 PM
Sounds like The Scorpions to me Greg.....that is, what was popular with my crowd in the late 70's and or 80's.
doesn't sound like what i've heard, not even like that one instrumental song me and my dad play all the time (lol, i can't even remember the title at the moment or if it was just Michael Schenker who did it)
sounds to me more like a product of Joe Satriani who's whipped together his own sound

tjguitar

i get tons of CDs from guitar9.com.  Neil Zaza is one of my favorites.

Milan Polak is pretty good, too.

greg

Quote from: tjguitar on September 16, 2007, 03:36:25 PM
i get tons of CDs from guitar9.com.  Neil Zaza is one of my favorites.

Milan Polak is pretty good, too.
cool, someone else on this site who knows about guitar9!  :)
i finally figured out how to listen to the clips since my computer doesn't play most sound clips for some reason (like on amazon or guitar 9)- all i have to do is click on where it says "play all clips"

ok, i listened to clips of Zaza and Polak for awhile. Just don't let Mad Hatter listen, lol. 

greg

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 17, 2007, 06:50:53 AM

this is actually a reminder for me, thanks
listened to some clips, which i've wanted to do for a couple of years, actually, but kept on forgetting.
so i understand his style now, he's got mainly new heavy metal riffs (which i don't care much for, when one song sounds just like the next) but also some synthesizer playing which does some Stockhausen-sounding lines and some other stuff that's actually pretty interesting. But I could never make a judgement based off of clips- i doubt he'd be a guitarist i could really get into, but he could be a guitarist i enjoy  :)

dtwilbanks

He's got a bucket on his head. Whaddya want out of him? ;) He does have some interesting CDs. Some are acoustic if I remember correctly. His website proves how weird he really is.

To tell the truth, I don't listen to much instrumental rock music. I like rock songs; I like singing. If I want instrumental music, I reach for the classical stuff.

greg

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 17, 2007, 07:08:36 AM
He's got a bucket on his head. Whaddya want out of him? ;) He does have some interesting CDs. Some are acoustic if I remember correctly. His website proves how weird he really is.
i visited his site a long time ago- weirdest site i've ever been to
and yeah, he does have at least one acoustic album, maybe more. Listen to clips of that, too, though it just bored me to death so i went on to the next thing

karlhenning

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 17, 2007, 07:08:36 AM
He's got a bucket on his head. Whaddya want out of him?

Dave speaks wisdom here  8)

dtwilbanks

I spoke wisdom. Whodathunk?

"I ate Ubloobideega. And then I peed on him."

That's quite a trick.

karlhenning

The dancing, of course, roughly equal parts faux choreography, and fabric softener commercial . . . .

http://youtube.com/v/LTTHQgmpQII

Sungam

http://www.65daysofstatic.com/wordpress/

I wish they played that on the radio.  If you go to the website, the song "Install" should play first.  If you give it a full listen, you will be rewarded with excellent post-rock music.

Edit:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QkzCi5mHvkc

Rocks even harder than the songs on their website.

greg

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 17, 2007, 07:30:13 AM
I spoke wisdom. Whodathunk?

"I ate Ubloobideega. And then I peed on him."

That's quite a trick.
my dog is just full of wonders

Quote from: karlhenning on September 17, 2007, 07:32:49 AM
The dancing, of course, roughly equal parts faux choreography, and fabric softener commercial . . . .

ummmmm.... that was interesting.

aquablob

I must confess -- those clips just didn't do it for me.  :(

I guess I'm just long over the whole shred-for-the-sake-of-shred thing; I much prefer well-rounded bands that happen to include some "balls" in the guitar department, so to speak. And I find that, like dtwilbanks, I generally now prefer rock music with vocals.

Greg, you should check out Umphrey's Mcgee -- they are a great, diverse band with two excellent guitarists, one of whom shreds like it's nobody's business. Check out their album "Anchor Drops" (though avoid the lame 4th track, "Bullhead City"). I imagine you'd really dig the tracks "Plunger" and "Wife Soup"; and probably most of their stuff, to be honest. And they're one of the best current bands I've seen live (like 10 times).

For the record, I still play guitar and currently work at a guitar shop... and I have a solid shred background, having seen G3 twice (once with Yngwie -- yuck -- and once with Petrucci), met Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani (both of whom I still greatly admire), and seen Dream Theater like 3 times (including the now famous show in Chicago in which they played Metallica's entire "Master of Puppets" album for the second set). So check out Umphrey's!

karlhenning

Quote from: greg on September 17, 2007, 08:00:15 AM
Quote from: karlhenningThe dancing, of course, roughly equal parts faux choreography, and fabric softener commercial . . . .

ummmmm.... that was interesting.

The music, Greg! What did you think of the music!?

8)

aquablob

Quote from: karlhenning on September 17, 2007, 07:32:49 AM

http://youtube.com/v/LTTHQgmpQII

That was friggin' sweet!